Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Postcard #8 - Where is Zom?

ZomZom Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
I promised myself that during my next trip to Oz, I would spend at least a week in this big town and here I am.

I left my Aussie base on Boxing Day and the first two days were just ‘eating up’ the road in a 1984 Peugeot 505 to reach this region. 1400+ km with just one night stop over got me a bit cranky, but my mood changed radically as we passed the border and started to slow down and enjoy the secondary roads and also some dirt roads. We spent two weeks exploring a few of the gold rush towns from back in the 1850s. They are mainly west of the “big town” and one of them tele transported me into a western movie; only 1850-1870s style houses and shops border this one street mining town and it’s forbidden to build new houses. There were other little gems like the one that hosts a mill built by a Scottish family in the 1850s, and the huge iron water wheel is still operating even if just for show. But what makes this trip awesome is the interaction with the people there. They are keen to tell you about their story and give local information related to the local weather pattern and how life there has changed over time. We had fantastic encounters indeed. Then we headed south and reached the ocean to enjoy both the view and a surf. How refreshing. (It’s been bloody hot.) And today the big town; we were told that 100,000 people add to its population every year! We’ve just arrived there; I can’t wait to enjoy 5 full days getting around. The car will be forgotten as we both have a smart card for the transport system; it will be only walking, buses and trams like I’m used to doing in Paris.

All that said, have you guessed where I am? What is the name of this big town?
Tagged:

Comments

• ZomZom Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bathurst , in the state of New South Wales, is often referred to as the Gold Country as it was the site of the first gold discovery and where the first gold rush occurred in Australia. (According to Wikipedia)

You mentioned the iron water wheel, so I was trying to find it. Which one fits it most? None of them? :weary:

• rupsilrupsil Posts: 411 ✭✭✭✭
    Name of the city: Melbourne, Victoria B)
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,972 mod
    I agree with @rupsil ; that big town is Melbourne.
    Will you be there during Australian Open, @Zom ?
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 647 mod
    I agree with @rupsil and @april ! The trams gave it away :)

I saw that they had one of the hottest days on record there this week! It´s one of my favourite towns in Australia, enjoy!
  • abhishekb9099abhishekb9099 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @rupsil @april Melbourne is the city in Victoria where you will find maximum growth of every year which includes people from other countries as well.
    After lot of research i found Victoria is the state in which there is maximum growth in population.
    There is addition of around 100000 people in its population every year.
    Still not sure about Iron wheel and old houses but yes you are right it is known for street mining.
  • MonikMonik Posts: 993 ✭✭✭✭
    @Zom I think like others that you're in Melbourne.. Enjoy Australia ;) and the bloody weather.
    No hope of winning the game this time as Natasha agreed with @rupsil and @april . I think the answer is crystal clear now. :weary:
    edited January 10
    Well done guys, I'm in Melbourne and enjoying it immensely.

@Natasha is correct, it's great city to be in. It's vibrant, cosmopolitan, open to any walk of life and the world wide cuisine is awesome. On top of that they are very proud of their trams here. I was told that there are about 500, but not sure they were not BS me. Maybe not. In my current accommodation, there is this a drawing that hangs on the wall. A 9 year old boy and his classmates made it. It's good isn't it.

MelbourneTram

@rupsil, good job mate. Right answer. I guess you did a calculation there. 1,400k off the QLD/NSW took you to Victoria and so the biggest town here, Melbourne, isn't it?

@april, I'll be about to leave Melbourne when the Australian Open starts.

@abhishekb9099, yes I could hardly believe it; 100,000 a year is a big number. They told me that senior people from the countryside move to Ballarat which is renown for its health facilities and the young people move to Melbourne. On top of that you have to add people coming fron overseas, but they don't represent the majority.

@Monik, if I could I would stay in Melbourne for the next 2 months, Winter there is cold though, and so the "grey nomads" usually leave Victoria for Queensland during the winter months.

@Shiny03, no, I'm not in New South Wales. You're the only one who tried to work out the towns on my way to Melbourne, so the game is not over for you. The iron water wheel is part of the Anderson's Mill which is in Smeaton, and the place that made me think of a western town is Maldon.

All that said, there will be an additional question to get the winner(s) of this postcard.
    @Shiny03, @rupsil, @april, @NatashaT, @abhishekb9099, @Monik. Here is the additional question:-

Back in 1969, somewhere in Victoria, a 90+ kg stranger was very welcome. Where was it?

edited January 10
    @Zom are you talking about the Welcome Stranger Nugget?

"The world's largest nugget was found just a couple of inches below the ground near Dunolly, Victoria, Australia on 5 February 1869. Weighing in at 2,315.5 troy ounces (72.02 kg) it surpassed the "Welcome Nugget" by nearly a hundred ounces. In this 1869 illustration published shortly after the discovery, the size of the nugget (61 by 31 cm or 24 by 12 in.) is compared to a 12 inch (30 cm) scale bar. The nugget was soon melted down into ingots and shipped to the Bank of England. Before 1990, just about all large nuggets were melted down for their monetary value. Today there are less than a dozen known nuggets over 500 ounces."
    @Monik Awesome! I think the prize goes to you. :wink:
    You are right @Zom: 1.400 Km to the south from Bill's place, you have Melbourne ;)
    @Zom , the answer is "Murchison meteorite".
    Not so sure @Shiny03.

See, @Monik has replied with a question and @Rupsil has answered to a What, not a Where. The game is still on.
    Lol @Zom the welcome stranger nugget is at the Melbourne Museum in Victoria, it's a replica.
    @Monik, Aren't you mixing the present and the past now? Would you mind reading the question again? ;)
    I'm sorry I admit I am a copy cat. I think @rupsil 's right.
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/murchison-meteorite/
    The Murchison meteorite is a large meteorite that fell to earth near Murchison, Victoria, in Australia, in 1969.
    @Zom if you are not talking about the the welcome stranger, then must be the meteorite. Although your hint is ambiguous. Good job :)
    I'm not saying that you're wrong @Monik, but the question is, "back in 1969, ... Where was it?"
    That said, would you like to change your answer, "Melbourne museum of Victoria" for another location? ^.^
    This is driving me crazy @Xeb near Ballarta
    @Zom, the Murchison fell near the town of Murchison, Victoria.
    I give up, @Zom . :)
    @april, How come? I had never seen you giving up before.

@rupsil, @Shiny03, I'm afraid @Monik is the one on the right track even though I have confused her.
    edited January 12
    Well done @Monik!

This one is yours. I was indeed referring to the Welcome Stranger, a gold nugget, that was found in 1869 in a place called Moliagul in Victoria.

Your first answer is question asking for a confirmation about the Welcome Stranger and so wasn't willing to give it to you right away, but your extract from wiki is spot on; it was found in 1869 not far from Dunolly. Well done!

@Rupsil, @Shiny03 and a few others might challenge the 90+kg weight of the Welcome Stranger. So here are some details: its gross weight was 109.59kg; its trimmed weight, 78kg; net weight, 72.02kg and refined weight, 97.14kg. (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welcome_Stranger)

PS, @Monik, Don't forget to PM me a postal address for your prize.
    Zom said:

@rupsil, @Shiny03, I'm afraid @Monik is the one on the right track even though I have confused her.

You meant Melbourne? (I scrolled Up)
    Okay, I got it finally.

@Monik Congratulations! o:)
    edited January 12
    Shiny03 said:

Zom said:

You meant Melbourne? (I scrolled Up)
    @Shiny03 , I was referring to the additional question about the gold nugget, the Welcome Stranger. The answer I expected was the place where they found it in 1869.
    Do you think that we still have the chance to dig that? (I don't mind if it's smaller.) @Zom :love:
    edited January 12
    1869 or 1969, @Zom ?
    That's why I gave up. :D