Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

News Round Up 229

pridepocpridepoc Posts: 166 ✭✭✭

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,949 mod
    You see! Gender neutral terms. I love saying "I told you so".
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Teacher Posts: 2,113 mod
    edited January 22
    Here's the link for the reocording. Guess what I thought of the last article!

Post edited by Lynne on
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,508 mod
    Golden Globes: 'La La Land' Breaks Record for Most Wins by a Film

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/la-la-land-breaks-golden-globe-winners-record-wins-961526
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15
    Oh! is it true!? @mheredge

A survey by dog food manufacturer tails.com has revealed that dog owners spend more on their pets than on their own children.

• BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I am already using it. I think this is a good approach to discourage the gender stereotyping as well.

“The gender-neutral pronoun ‘they’ should be used as opposed to ‘he’ or ‘she’, and the pronoun ‘them’ as opposed to ‘him’ or ‘her’.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,894 mod
    I have always tended to use they and them, regardless of whether the they are male or female.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least tof hear dog owners spend more on their animals than their children as the Brits can be very OTT about their pets. I met a girl a few weeks ago who spends all her time working for dog shelters and 'save the dog' organisations, her travel plans revolving around where she can go to help dogs. I think she's a bit barking mad, not pun intended.
  • smbalochsmbaloch Posts: 33 ✭✭
    To love there dogs is good but more then there child is unbelievable.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge
    Hats off to this dog loving girl.

It's also great that she's doing what she finds meaningful. Not everyone can spend your life like that even if you wish to.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,894 mod
    That's true @takafromtokyo, she gets a lot of satisfaction helping dogs, so I suppose I have to say good luck to her. Maybe too, it's a child-substitute as she wants something to take care of.
This discussion has been closed.