Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How do you increase your energy?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,927 mod
If you are doing something that requires a lot of energy, but you currently feel tired, what do you do to try and improve your energy levels? Personally, I will drink an energy drink and that usually works, but what do you try?

I know that a lot of people will drink coffee, but unfortunately I don't like it.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,555 mod
    edited January 5
    Yoga works better than an energy drink for me @GemmaRowlands. I find that the sugar in those drinks only provide a temporary fix and soon you can feel a lot worse than you did before. I avoid them as they are not very healthy too. A nice cup of tea can do the trick if I'm feeling a bit stressed. More than anything though, I think it's the whole process of making as well as drinking it that is rejuvenating.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,927 mod
    mheredge said:

Yoga works better than an energy drink for me @GemmaRowlands. I find that the sugar in those drinks only provide a temporary fix and soon you can feel a lot worse than you did before. I avoid them as they are not very healthy too. A nice cup of tea can do the trick if I'm feeling a bit stressed. More than anything though, I think it's the whole process of making as well as drinking it that is rejuvenating.

I know energy drinks aren't great, but sometimes it's all I have time for. I suppose it's a vicious circle as they will make me feel worse in the long term!
    Sometimes just getting up and stretching your legs, take a breath of fresh air outside for a few minutes can do the trick and this doesn't take long.
    mheredge said:

Sometimes just getting up and stretching your legs, take a breath of fresh air outside for a few minutes can do the trick and this doesn't take long.

Yes that's true. I went on a really long walk yesterday and I felt much better when I got back!
  • Matteo91Matteo91 Posts: 3
    I suggest you to try to go to bed and wake up always at the same time and do a lot of gym.However what helped me at most was replacing all kinds of soft drinks that I used to abuse with water!!
    Matteo91 said:

I suggest you to try to go to bed and wake up always at the same time and do a lot of gym.However what helped me at most was replacing all kinds of soft drinks that I used to abuse with water!!

I agree that increasing your water intake is a great thing to do. I always feel better when I drink lots of water, but usually I will forget to do it!
  • zaiymurszaiymurs Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    I will increase my carbohydrates food and sugar intake drink, it's really helpful, and it works for me.
    zaiymurs said:

I will increase my carbohydrates food and sugar intake drink, it's really helpful, and it works for me.

I think that sugar only gives you energy for a really short time though, and then your energy crashes straight after it.
    I think I might need to find somewhere to charge up my tablet as it is looking like the battery is draining fast!
    mheredge said:

I think I might need to find somewhere to charge up my tablet as it is looking like the battery is draining fast!

That's a shame! Sometimes it feels like mine lasts forever, and then other times it struggles to last for even one day.
    It really seems to depend on what I'm doing @GemmaRowlands but I think sometimes it drains faster because some apps keep restarting, then if I'm not connected to the internet, it's better to go into Airplane mode to save the poor thing hunting for signals.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands @mheredge
    Hanging around the forum seems to drain my battery astonishingly fast.

Speaking of replenishing, I agree with doing stretches and taking a short walk. Those won't take long and saves you money, too. When I'm driving a lot, I need to do this every once in a while to keep me awake behind the wheel.
    I agree @takafromtokyo. From 99% when I unplugged the tablet only an hour ago, its battery is now showing just 74%. I'm sure it doesn't drop this fast when I'm just going through emails or even checking Facebook.
    mheredge said:

It really seems to depend on what I'm doing @GemmaRowlands but I think sometimes it drains faster because some apps keep restarting, then if I'm not connected to the internet, it's better to go into Airplane mode to save the poor thing hunting for signals.

Yes that might be true. I know that airplane mode can save my battery a lot of the time, but I do need to keep it on so that people can stay in touch with me for work purposes!
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 743 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19
    @takafromtokyo @mheredge
    I suspect the forum is haunted by a linguist A.I. and he consumes huge electricity to examine every single post of ours.
    Battery suckling vampire @Yellowtail! I'm getting into the habit of regularly running a battery saving app which closes or hibernates apps that are taking up power even without you using them. I think this helps a bit.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭✭
    @Yellowtail
    The A.I. is deprived of too much energy trying to figure out what exactly we're trying to say with our lousy English..haha!!
    Since I have started exercising, I seem to be waking up with a lot more energy. So maybe that is now what I need to do every day to make sure I have enough energy to last me until the evening!
    I always find a session of yoga first thing in yhe mornjng sets me up for the day @GemmaRowlands.
    mheredge said:

I always find a session of yoga first thing in yhe mornjng sets me up for the day @GemmaRowlands.

Yes I imagine that makes you feel really relaxed as well! I don't have any yoga classes local to me, and I have never done it before so don't feel as though I can do it on my own.
    > @GemmaRowlands said:
    > I will increase my carbohydrates food and sugar intake drink, it's really helpful, and it works for me.
    >
    > I think that sugar only gives you energy for a really short time though, and then your energy crashes straight after it.

" energy crashes straight after it" Really that fast @GemmaRowlands ? That's why i'm combined it with high carbohydrates food, at least my energy lasting for half an hour. But sometimes if i did energy requiring activity at the morning and continuing it on the afternoon, i will get a sleep at the noon after back home before lunch.
    @takafromtokyo , but i wish one day there's any A.I could do the corrections for us, lots of noise, an error detected, detected.
    zaiymurs said:

> @GemmaRowlands said:

> I will increase my carbohydrates food and sugar intake drink, it's really helpful, and it works for me.

>

> I think that sugar only gives you energy for a really short time though, and then your energy crashes straight after it.

" energy crashes straight after it" Really that fast @GemmaRowlands ? That's why i'm combined it with high carbohydrates food, at least my energy lasting for half an hour. But sometimes if i did energy requiring activity at the morning and continuing it on the afternoon, i will get a sleep at the noon after back home before lunch.

Well, I don't know for sure how quickly the crash happens after you have eaten carbs, but I do know it doesn't give you long term energy.