Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What are your new year's resolutions?

A lot of people make resolutions at this time of year, as a way of deciding what they would like to do better in the year to come. If this is something that you do in your culture, what have you decided to change?

I have decided that I would like to exercise more in order to become healthier and try to lose weight.

What about you? What are your resolutions like this year?

Comments

• anjalianjali Posts: 3
    My resolution in this year.. I will learn how to speak fluent English and I will make myself more successful.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,747 mod
    I never make new year's resolutions as I know I'll never stick to them. :)
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,347 mod
    mheredge said:

I never make new year's resolutions as I know I'll never stick to them. :)

I think that is true for a lot of people. But for others, the "new year, new start" mantra really does provide the motivation that they need!
    My problem is that I seem to see too many new years @GemmaRowlands. I'm only sorry I'll be missing Tet, the Vietnam new year in a week or so. I should be in Kathmandu for Losar, the Tibetan new year(there are about three in Nepal all withing a few weeks of each other). The official Nepali new year is in mid April. Needless to say they celebrate 1 January too.
    mheredge said:

My problem is that I seem to see too many new years @GemmaRowlands. I'm only sorry I'll be missing Tet, the Vietnam new year in a week or so. I should be in Kathmandu for Losar, the Tibetan new year(there are about three in Nepal all withing a few weeks of each other). The official Nepali new year is in mid April. Needless to say they celebrate 1 January too.

I would love to see what new year celebrations are like in other countries. I have only ever been here, at home, for new year.
    I think there is not a huge difference @GemmaRowlands. Families and friends get together for a meal or party to see in the new year. Fireworks sometimes feature too, though maybe this depends on the town as I don't think private individuals typically go in for this like on Guy Fawkes night in the UK.
    mheredge said:

I think there is not a huge difference @GemmaRowlands. Families and friends get together for a meal or party to see in the new year. Fireworks sometimes feature too, though maybe this depends on the town as I don't think private individuals typically go in for this like on Guy Fawkes night in the UK.

I think fireworks are more popular than ever in the UK at the moment, and lots of people choose to use them for many things, not just the traditional celebrations like it would have been in the past.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    My resolution was to not eat sweets. But i broke it after one week.
    mons4991 said:

My resolution was to not eat sweets. But i broke it after one week.

I think a lot of people break their resolutions in the end. But at least you managed to keep it for a week, which is better than nothing!
  • VokVok Posts: 303 ✭✭
    I think it's about time we revived this discussion. It's only three days left before 2018 and why not map out new's year resolutions. Have you already done that? Or have you decided to play it entirely by ear in 2018?
    Ha, I hadn't thought about it till I saw this thread. Food for thought for the next couple of days!
    I am trying to stick to a more regular schedule with regards to work. I became a bit of a "workaholic" in 2017 and I need to make more time for family and friends, and I need to limit my working time to 10 hours a day at the most.
    Ten hours a day @GemmaRowlands? Even if you are just working five days a week, you're breaking the European Working Time Directive. Oh, sorry, this might not apply soon... :'(
    mheredge said:

Ten hours a day @GemmaRowlands? Even if you are just working five days a week, you're breaking the European Working Time Directive. Oh, sorry, this might not apply soon... :'(

I'm not sure it applies to me as I'm self-employed.. I think I can pretty much do whatever I like!

Also, I have a friend who drives a truck for a living, and he works 71 hours a week, legally and above board, so I think my hours are fine!

Plus, I have a lunch break in the middle of the day usually, too.
    Your friend working 71 hours a week can't be doing this every week otherwise he is certainly breaking all the rules in the book @GemmaRowlands. He must be getting enough time off so that over the year, his average is no more than 48 hours a week. In fact I think the ILO (International Labour Organisation) limit might even be lower than 48 hours a week.
    mheredge said:

Your friend working 71 hours a week can't be doing this every week otherwise he is certainly breaking all the rules in the book @GemmaRowlands. He must be getting enough time off so that over the year, his average is no more than 48 hours a week. In fact I think the ILO (International Labour Organisation) limit might even be lower than 48 hours a week.

He does do it every week. The first 48 hours are normal wage and the rest is overtime. He has to have a certain number of hours off between every shift. Most lorry drivers I know are similar.
    There aren't enough hours in the day @GemmaRowlands. Driving such long hours must very very dangerous too.
    mheredge said:

There aren't enough hours in the day @GemmaRowlands. Driving such long hours must very very dangerous too.

It isn't all driving. He can drive up to 48 hours a week, but can be in work for longer, so when his load is being put on it doesn't count as driving time.
    He still at work though @GemmaRowlands.
    mheredge said:

He still at work though @GemmaRowlands.

I know this. But it cannot be illegal, as pretty much every wagon driver has similar hours. I don't know the ins and outs of the law, but you will struggle to find a "full time" wagon drive who isn't in work for more than 48 hours a week.
    The habit I am trying to break (so maybe a new year's resolution) is to try and be more zen, chilled out, laid back and not get stressed. I also am going to try to take a leaf out of @Paulette's book and not complain. I think I will be able to master this last thing as I am quite good at thinking positively about things. Not getting stressed might be harder to achieved though.
    mheredge said:

The habit I am trying to break (so maybe a new year's resolution) is to try and be more zen, chilled out, laid back and not get stressed. I also am going to try to take a leaf out of @Paulette's book and not complain. I think I will be able to master this last thing as I am quite good at thinking positively about things. Not getting stressed might be harder to achieved though.

I think it can be difficult not to complain though, as it sometimes feels as though all of the small things in life build up and becoming too overwhelming when all added together.
  • VokVok Posts: 303 ✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands I agree that it's difficult not to complain at all and I'm not sure if it's healthy to bottle things up. Anyway some form of emotional release is needed, whether it'll be moaning or hitting a boxing bag.
    Vok said:

@GemmaRowlands I agree that it's difficult not to complain at all and I'm not sure if it's healthy to bottle things up. Anyway some form of emotional release is needed, whether it'll be moaning or hitting a boxing bag.

I think it's always good to have a friend to talk to, who doesn't mind you complaining a little bit about things if you really need to.
    I think @Paulette's way of not complaining by thinking positively is very good though @GemmaRowlands. A couple of days ago the bus I was in overheated and we all had to pile out onto the pavement until the driver knew whether we'd have to catch the next one. Instead of feeling annoyed, I started chatting with one of the other passengers who turned out to live in Canada now, visiting her elderly father. We had a wonderful conversation that probably would never have happened if the bus hadn't broken down. (The bus managed to get us to our destination eventually too).
  • RoseAmmu01RoseAmmu01 Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I have never ever taken any new year resolution. It is only because, i know my myself, that i will never going to try for the same. I am very lazy person.
    Me too @RoseAmmu01. I find that if I make a resolution any other time though, this helps and I might stand a better chance of succeeding in keeping it.
    mheredge said:

I think @Paulette's way of not complaining by thinking positively is very good though @GemmaRowlands. A couple of days ago the bus I was in overheated and we all had to pile out onto the pavement until the driver knew whether we'd have to catch the next one. Instead of feeling annoyed, I started chatting with one of the other passengers who turned out to live in Canada now, visiting her elderly father. We had a wonderful conversation that probably would never have happened if the bus hadn't broken down. (The bus managed to get us to our destination eventually too).

I agree, I think there are positive things to be taken from every situation, even if you may feel that the situation itself is negative at the time.
    edited January 29
    Being tidier is definitely a resolution I need to make. I spent the whole afternoon tidying up and still need to do more.
    Post edited by mheredge on
    mheredge said:

being tidier is definitely a resolution I need to make. I spent the whole afternoon tidying up and still need to do more.

It's difficult when you have been untidy for a period of time, as it leaves you with a lot of tidying to do, whereas if you keep on top of it it's much easier.