Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Take 3 words Game 88

Use the 3 words given in ONE sentence. It's not easy, but it is fun! And you'll get a bonus correction to boot!

ransom

emerald

socks

Comments

• amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 2,223 mod
    I had to pay for my ransomed socks with my emerald engagement ring.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The Emerald company has to pay a huge ransom to the journalists for the secret documents about their defected socks.
    ---------------------------------
    The Emerald company has to pay a huge ransom to the journalists for the secret documents about their defective socks. (Though I LOVE the idea of socks defecting! Perhaps that's where they all go to!!)
    Post edited by amatsuscribbler on
    I lost my socks, emerald ring and other stuff whilst running away from a kidnap scene where the kidnappers demanded a huge ransom for the return of a pet dog.
    edited December 2016
    The kidnapper who was wearing emerald coloured socks demanded a huge ransom for the immediate release of a kidnapped boy. :) :)

--------------------------------
    The kidnapper, who was wearing emerald coloured socks, demanded a huge ransom for the immediate release of a kidnapped boy.
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The kidnappers with emerald socks on their head held Goldilocks for ransom.
    edited December 2016
    Would Shrek pay a ransom of golden socks for his emerald skin?
    ------------------------
    Would Shrek pay a ransom of golden socks to the kidnappers of his emerald skin?
  • torelliptorellip Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather pay a huge ransom for my emerald socks, than leave them to the kidnappers @Shiny03
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 6,070 mod
    edited January 1
    On New Years Eve I've been drinking: Ransom 'The Emerald 1865' Straight American Whiskey, wearing my whiskey socks.

Post edited by Frank on
    edited January 1
    I paid the ransom with the emeralds I'd kept in my old socks.
    I recognised the kidnapper who'd asked for emeralds as a ransom, because he was wearing two different socks.

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,110 mod
    The ransom was to be paid in emeralds tied in a green sock and left in a trash can at a specified place and time.
  • ThijnThijn Posts: 114 ✭✭✭
    edited February 1
    I took a ransom to buy people out of the jail with emerald socks
    -----------------------
    I took a ransom to get the people out of jail with emerald socks.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,110 mod
    I love your emerald coloured socks @Bubbly. I hope you didn't need to pay a ransom for them.
    edited February 1
    @mheredge I still couldn't find the emerald coloured socks in my wardrobe. I think someone really wants me to pay a ransom for them. ;)
    --------------------------
    I still couldn't find the emerald coloured socks in my wardrobe so I think someone really wants me to pay a ransom for them.
  • chyijungchyijung Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1
    The little girl's socks were sent to her parents in an emerald colored box to ask for the ransom.
    --------------------------
    The little girl's socks were sent to her parents in an emerald coloured box asking for a ransom.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1
    I just saw two guys started fighting each other trying to decide who should get what for the ransom that they were going to demand @Bubbly for the emerald colored socks when a little dog came and took the socks away in its mouth.

I wonder where the dog was heading..
    ----------------------
    I just saw two guys start fighting each other trying to decide who should get what for the ransom that they were going to demand @Bubbly for the emerald colored socks when a little dog came and took the socks away in its mouth. (Amazing long sentence! Well done!)
    edited February 1
    Emerald ogre held me in order to exchange unwashed socks for ransom.
    -----------------------
    The emerald ogre held me in order to exchange my unwashed socks for a ransom.
    edited February 1
    @takafromtokyo I am not going to give my emerald coloured socks for ransom. But, that dog is loyal to me, so he will bring those emerald coloured socks to me in any case! ;)
    ----------------------
    @takafromtokyo I am not going to give my emerald coloured socks for ransom but that dog is loyal to me so he will bring those emerald coloured socks to me in any case! ;)
  • MichouxeMichouxe Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1
    I ask you two odoriferous emerald collorful socks as ransom! :D
    ----------------------------
    I ask you for two odoriferous emerald colourful socks as ransom!
  • shriya_vaidya2011shriya_vaidya2011 Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited February 1
    The Govt. Officer wearing a red colour socks and hat with a emerald was asking ransom just for the sake of his own work that he is supposed to do it for us.
    --------------------------------
    The Govt. Officer, wearing red coloured socks and a hat with an emerald, was asking for a ransom for work that he is supposed to do for us anyway!
  • kartikkartik Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Hmm it's little bit confusing not my cup of tea
  • kartikkartik Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited February 1
    Father came to his House wearing an emerald stone to give the kidnapper the ransom money for his daughter otherwise the kidnapper will socks his child
    ---------------------------
    Father came to his house wearing an emerald stone to give the kidnapper as ransom for his daughter, otherwise the kidnapper might take his child's socks.
    edited February 1
    I give ransom for you with socks created from gold and emerald.
    ---------------------------
    I gave socks created from gold and emerald as ransom for you.
    edited February 1
    The kidnapper from the kidnapped little boy with the white socks asked emerald as ransom for release.
    -----------------------------
    The kidnapper asked for an emerald as ransom for the release of the kidnapped little boy with the white socks.
  • JanjardJanjard Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    There will be an emerald sky and the ransom will be stashed away in safes and socks.
    edited February 1
    Dear sir, we got the ransom ready as you ordered; but do you really need us to wear emerald colored socks over our heads to recognize us in the crowd?
    Dear sir, we got the ransom ready as you ordered but do you really need us to wear emerald colored socks over our heads to recognize us in the crowd?
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1
    Have you seen the red socks, with into them the emerald green letter with the mention of the ransom?
    ----------------------------
    Have you seen the red socks, with the emerald green ransom letter in them?
    edited February 1
    You must not believe that I give ransom for such smelly dirty socks and then you want emerald stones too? I'm not crazy!
    ----------------------
    You must not believe that I would give ransom for such smelly, dirty socks and then you want emeralds too? (I'm not crazy!)
    edited February 1
    No, seriously, the kidnappers told me that they really got addicted to dirty smelly socks of yours so much that they're not going to give them back to you unless you bring emeralds as ransom.
    -----------------------------
    No, seriously, the kidnappers told me that they got really addicted to those dirty, smelly socks of yours that they're not going to give them back to you unless you bring emeralds as ransom.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @takafromtokyo Are emeralds as ransom enough for these thirty smelly socks, I think diamonds are more expensive!
This discussion has been closed.