Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Christmas food

mheredgemheredge WordsmithHere and therePosts: 24,885 mod
What is your favourite food associated with Christmas? I managed to find a little plum pudding which I'm saving to eat on Christmas Day.

Different countries have different festive favourites. In the UK mince pies, Christmas pudding and Christmas cake usually come to mind,

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2016/dec/19/festive-food-traditions-christmas-snacks-brussels-stockholm-copenhagen?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=204928&subid=11006640&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

Do you eat anything special on Christmas Day?

Comments

• HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 5,940 mod
    Yesterday I was in a food shop and they have different delicious stuff in the counters. At that moment I couldnˋt decide what to take and Iˋm sure a few days ahead the choices are going little.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 629 mod
    In my family, it´s tradition to make (and eat!) rum balls, apricot balls and White Christmas. These are all sweets which don´t require cooking, just a little time in the fridge. Even though I can´t get all the exact ingredients I need to make these treats in Brazil, I make do with what´s available!
    edited December 2016
    Late last summer I rode far up a mauntain. My daughter and I wanted to pick black berries. I put the car in a safe corner and we walked along and passed a house. There were some geese grazing next to a house where the housewife was watching them. We changed some words and I learnt that she is going to slaughter and sell them for Christmas. Sheˋs got some old customers but she would me also sell one.

This Thursday I am going to pick it up and will prepare it with herbs and a a good filling for the Christmas Day.
    This animal had had a good time eating lush grass and enjoyed lots of sunshine.
    The woman told me I should put it in the oven at 7am and leave it there until noon. Itˋll need some more time to get ready than compared to an animals that had to grow up faster.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,885 mod
    @NatashaT any chance you can share the recipes? Especially the rum balls....
    The food shops are stuffed with all kinds of food. But believe me this time we wonˋt spend our time on eating and eating as they want us to do.
    Christmas has a lot to offer, but not just to run around with inflated bellies. Am I right?

• SteveSteve Posts: 62 ✭✭
    In my country, people cook and eat sevreal meals on christmas day; but what is a little bit weird, is that we don't eat traditionally on that day.

In fact the "universal dish" (present in nearly all homes here) is fried chiken and bold rice.

After eating that, people go out to drink and dance.
    @Steve, here in Austria it is common that we are all serious at Christmas time. Personally, I think it would be much more fun even we would be more relaxt. But easier said than done.
    Some families even get great problems at Christmas, because they arenˋt used to spend so much time together. I think most of them have emotional problems.

• Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We don't eat anything special on Christmas day, but I like its atmosphere.

I think you have touched on a common problem about Christmas @Hermine. People feel it is an obligation or duty to spend time with relatives, even if they would prefer not to, maybe just relaxing with their closest family.

On the other hand too, this can be a time when single people who have little or no family members around can feel very lonely.

As for eating too much, isn't this a Christmas tradition @Steve? And often drinking to much contributes to family rows too.

This is why I say Bah humbug to Christmas. If possible I try to be in a non-Christian country during this time. Then if Christmas is celebrated, it is no more than a good excuse for a party but nothing more serious than this. (I think the most unChristmassy Christmas I ever spent was in Mashed, in Iran where there was nothing at all to show for the occasion).

• SteveSteve Posts: 62 ✭✭
    @mheredge ,

Yeah people do eat too much on that day, but its mostly children...

Adults interest is much more on celebrations (dance and drinks)
    @mheredge Recipes!

Nana´s Rum Balls:

2 cups mixed dried fruit (I just use sultanas if I can´t find a mix)
    1 tablespoon cocoa
    1 cup coconut
    1 cup crushed Vita Brits (I use corn flakes now, easier to find)
    1/2 cup condensed milk
    1/4 cup rum
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    extra coconut for rolling

Mix all ingredients together. Chill in the fridge for 1 hour. Form into small balls and roll in coconut. Store in the fridge.

Apricot Balls:

1 cup finely diced apricots
    1/2 tin condensed milk
    3 tablespoons icing sugar
    1 cup of rice bubbles
    1/2 cup of coconut for rolling

Combine ingredients, form into small balls, roll in coconut and refrigerate.

White Christmas:

150 grams copha (vegetable shortening - don´t use meat shortening!!)
    1 cup rice bubbles
    1 cup icing sugar
    1 cup dried fruit (e.g. finely chopped glace cherries, chrystalised ginger, mixed fruit, apricots, pineapple, etc)
    1 cup powdered milk
    1 cup coconut

Melt copha and pour over dry ingredients. Mix well. Pour into tray, and refrigerate until set. Cut into squares. (or, put spoonfuls into paper patty cases & then refrigerate)

Enjoy!!! :)
    @NatashaT I want to make rum balls, but do you have any recommendation about rum? (Because I don't know it very well.)
    If you don't want to use rum @Shiny03, I know that in the UK, they sell flavouring essences that you can use instead. But I don't know if you can find these in Japan. Otherwise can you find miniatures, little one shot bottles of rum?
    This rum is everywhere. (It's available in supermarket.) What do you think about it? @mheredge

• mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭✭
    I like fruit cakes! I can eat too much fruit cakes. :p
    @mohit_singh, me too. I often bake an English fruit cake. Last time I added a few drops of rum but it was gone at the end. Next time Iˋll put some more drops in.
    I like Christmas cake @mohit_singh. I have sometimes made it a few months before Christmas, feeding it with brandy and then keeping it as it improves with age.

In Nepal Khukuri rum is very famous.

• amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Teacher Posts: 2,113 mod
    I did Christmas dinner yesterday. I find cooking very stressful but it all went OK. I made one my mum's trifles but forgot to get flaked almonds to go on the top!

edited December 2016
    I did Christmas dinner yesterday. I find cooking very stressful but it went OK! I mad one of my mum's trifles but forgot to get flaked almonds to go on top!
    Grrr.... I can't seem to get my photo of it on!
    I'm waiting for your photo @amatsuscribbler. :blush:
    You will wait a long time @Shiny03 I don't seem to be able to!
    Do you need help?--> double fingers crossed @amatsuscribbler
    Yes @Shiny03 !
    Here you are. I even holler some more help. @amatsuscribbler

Drooling

That looks very yummy @amatsuscribbler.

@Shiny03 do you put photos that you have taken yourself or do you just 'copy image address' into the icon above of photos you find on the internet? I noticed I couldn't do this with @amatsuscribbler's photo though.
    @amatsuscribbler 's trifles. :love:

I am not sure what you meant. @mheredge
    I think every image or photo on the internet all should have their own image address.
    @Shiny03 I usually use any dark rum, not white rum, but you can also buy rum essence instead, or replace it with something else like whiskey, whatever you like. :)