Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Postcard #7 - What will be Zom's Xmas present? What will she do with it?

ZomZom Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2016 in Countries and Travel
Hello LEO members,

Christmas is around the corner and I have discovered what will be my Xmas present. With this postcard I challenge you to figure out what it is and what it is used for. Ready?

On the box it's written in big letters, Auto Darkening and Fixed Shade.

I was curious about what it looked like and opened the box. It looks good! I was also eager to read the brochure that was inside, and this is what one of the pages reads:-
Light state            Shade 3
Dark state             Shade 10
UV / IR protection     Up to DIN 16
Viewing area           90 X 40 mm
Dim                    110 X 90 x 9 mm
Protect your eyes and face from harmful IR and UV radiation.
Never use it without the lens cover properly installed.
It'll be much better than the one I have been using so far for one of my "apprenticeship" activities in Oz. ^^

What is this Xmas present? How will I utilize this Xmas present?
Tagged:

Comments

• ZomZom Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • nidhiinidhii Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭
    @Zom Welding Helmet .
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do you need it?

What exactly do you need to fuse?

For riding a motorcycle?

For becoming Darth Vader and beginning another star trek?

For saving bushfires in Australia? (It's hot summer there, you know, leading quickly to weather hazards.)

Nah, you are our hero, a super pilot. :smiley: :heart:

• abhishekb9099abhishekb9099 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭✭
    Safety Helmet
  • rupsilrupsil Posts: 432 ✭✭✭✭
    It's an automatic welding helmet
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,044 mod
    Please help me, guys; what kind of apprenticeship is Zom doing in Oz?
  • rupsilrupsil Posts: 432 ✭✭✭✭
    @april , long time ago she watched to "Mad Max" movies and every time she goes to Oz, she acquires this fixed idea of welding iron bars.
    Really, @rupsil ?
    Thanks. :)
  • aladdinaladdin Radio Producer LEOnetworkPosts: 1,506 mod
    edited December 2016
    Okay @Zom here is my first guess VR :D

edited December 2016
    @Shiny03, except for the mortocycle helmet, I would have loved to have all of them on my Xmas letter to Santa. I'd like to add Aladdin's VR headset too. I want (badly) one! :D

@abhishekb9099, safety helmet is a bit vague. Could you be a bit more precise?

@April, @rupsil is not very far from the truth with its Madmax references. LOL

To all - Don't forget that I will accept only one answer, so @Shiny03, @aladdin you'll have to lock your final guess.

I'm in no hurry though, you still have time to keep thinking. ^^

edited December 2016
    Oh, what a pity. I picked up that motorcycle helmet for you.

I've answered it. @april She said she's learning how to fly a plane in Australia, so I think she needs a pilot helmet to help protect her pretty eyes from the sun.

What sort of airplane do you fly? @Zom

I fly the same kind of aircraft as in your first (the drifter) and second (looks like the same as a Jabiru) photos @Shiny03. Ready to take off?
    edited December 2016

but,

It's too early to to go berserk, @Shiny03 as I haven't got my passenger endorsement yet .
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes,It looks like you got a welding helmet .
    Does Pilot need protection from UV and IR rays?and it could be awkward to use daylight glasses as a pilot.thats why I thought of welding helmet.
    Apprenticeship for pilot might be possible but I am not sure.All description suits with welding helmets.

It could be welding helmet.@zom
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,007 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I late for this challenge?
    edited December 2016
    Welding Helmet! Why do you need it?

Post edited by Bubbly on
    Looks like you've received one of the postcards especially designed by one of our fantastic Japanese artists @Bubbly. ^^
    edited December 2016
    @nidhii, @Shiny03, @aladdin, @mohit_singh, @april, @rupsil, @abhishekb9099, @Bubbly

Guys, you'll get the answer to this posctard riddle some time on Wednesday, so if you want to change your mind, it's up to you. ^^
    edited December 2016
    I remember that @zom learned to fly in her first visit to Oz, but is she still learning it now? And she has more than one apprenticeship activity apparently.
    I'll guess for a pair of welding goggles for doing a job as a welder then.
    Goggles like these ones:

Post edited by april on
    @april I agree with you as a welding helmet sounds weird!
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 669 mod
    From the description, it really does sound like a welding helmet, although I feel like a helmet for flying sounds like a more exciting present!

Maybe she´s welding planes?? Or Lyle has her working in the shed!
  • abhishekb9099abhishekb9099 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    @Zom I think It's a Welding Goggles.
    Post edited by abhishekb9099 on
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Teacher Posts: 2,188 mod
    I think everyone has it covered! I definitely would like to see what you create with it!
    @nidhii, @Shiny03, @abhishekb9099, @rupsil, @april, @aladdin, @mohit_singh, @Bubbly, @NatashaT, @amatsuscribbler

Four of you got it right and didn't change their mind.
    Postcard7_xmas

@nidhii, @rupsil, @mohit_singh, @NatashaT Well done!

It's your 3rd win Nidhii, looks like you are a strating a collection. ;)

The 1st year I came to Australia part of the deal was that I would help my mate Bill with his French in exchange of free accomodation and a car, but there was a catch. What would ne my ute (utility car) had no trail - it was a cab chassis ute, so just a cabin was fitted on a bare chassis; I would have first to help building the trail for this ute before driving it. @april, it's how started my welding apprenticeship.

This trip I don't have to do anything as such, but I like to be in the man shed and give a hand with a few jobs like fixing a French 505 peugeot car or reinforce a water tank stand. No creative skills involved @amatsuscribbler.

@Shiny03 and @NatashaT, I fly VFR only which means during daylight and with clear skies. I just need a hat and/or sunglasses as if I were going to the beach. ^^ BTW the structure of a Jabiru aircraft is mostly fiberglass, no welding involved here.

@april, @Bubbly, @abhishekb9099, it can't be googles. My head is not that big that my googles have to be 110 X 90 x 9 mm. Come on! ;)

@aladdin, May I PM you my postal address for you to send me a VR headset? ><
    Failed again... :weary: :heartbreak:

@nidhii, @rupsil, @mohit_singh, @NatashaT Congratulations. :smile:
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭✭
    @Shiny03 B)
    Wait for next challenge and follow nidhii's answer.