Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Which mobile application softwares do you use to improve your English language skills?

Here is my favorite list:

1. Memrise (To memorize words through flashcard system)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memrise

www.memrise.com/

2. English Listen Conversation (Show short video clip frequently on many categories)

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.evideos

3. Learn English with Videos (Show short video clip frequently on many categories)

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androidteam.englishlearning

4. Skype ( To participant on the online sessions that hosted by LEO Network)

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skype.raider

5. busuu - Easy Language Learning

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.busuu.android.enc

6. Duolingo: Learn Languages Free

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.duolingo

7. Wakie: Talk to Strangers, Chat

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wakie.android

Comments

• omidrahaomidraha Posts: 29 ✭✭
    8. Learn English Listening

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yobimi.bbclearningenglish
  • YevhenYevhen Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi, Omid. Let me share my thoughts.

But before I start, think about the nature of any applications including mobile ones. Which are their objectives? Look at this video:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_RWb2a4kRk

What can you see on it? Colorful slides, funny music, a great animation and a friendly narrator. Enjoy and sign up, or vice versa. Looks like an ordinary startup or a business plan. Why looks? That is actually things I am taking about. I have never met somebody's business aiming at improving me.

1. Flashcard systems.
    I used different apps, even my own, for memorizing words. Did it help me? No, they didn't because as time went by I forget almost all of them and could not use them in speaking or writing. I really was able to learn about 50 words for 1-2 days. I created my own lists and made new ones when came across new words.

Why it is useless: Your active vocabulary isn't really get wider. Generally, you can't use words while expressing yourself, no mater what it is, speaking or writing. Learning words without a context is a bad idea.

When it is helpful: When your read a book. In this case, you can easily get started with reading. Usually, an author has his own words and expressions which comes through the whole book. You have a context and an opportunity to revise new words and expressions. Moreover, you learn situations which are appropriate for them. This is very important.

Prescription: Use cards to get used to the language of the book and it's style. Flashcards + reading a book = happiness.

2. Duolingo and similar apps
    If you are a beginner use your native language for learning English or any target language. Usually, newcomers often need clear explanations because it is really important for a better understanding. But the better you become the lesser you need to use your native language.

Why it is useless: Do not translate from your native language. It is so different from the target one. It will be stopping you and your progress will be slow. You probably never be able to think in English but you should strive for this.

When it is helpful: There are apps where you need to fill gaps in sentences in the target language. Use them.

Prescription: Don't waste your time with apps where you need to translate sentences.

3. Messengers/socials
    Use them to talk with other people. It is really amazing.

Why it is useless: Do not be trapped by believing that only this will improve your English. Let's generalize and define two groups of people you could meet there: native speakers (advanced or super advanced learners) and others (including those who are not good at English).
    The situation with the second group is obvious: you might get confidence in speaking and socializing in general but at the same time you might make your mistakes habitual.
    Representatives of the first group might get what you mean even if you speak incorrectly. They might not be "allowed in advance" to correct you due to having the decency to be polite and nice.

When it is helpful: When you find "the right people". But you should understand that you need to be useful or interesting for them just like there is no the language barrier. Meet people with common interests.

Prescription: Involve yourself in conversations and not forget about complex learning that includes grammar, listening, speaking, writing and reading.

4. Apps for listening
    Totally agree. That is an essential part of communication. Why do you speak? To be heard. Yeah, You are on the right way.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
    @Yevhen
    Wow! This is a lot of information! It must've taken you a lot of time and effort to write this up. Thanks for the advice.

How have you been lately? I'm almost there to join Skype sessions. I sent Lynne my Skype ID and Lynne sent me a message and I sent her a reply. So, I'm assuming I'm almost ready. The only thing I'm not sure about is what I need to do next.

Could you help me out?
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭
    @Yevhen
    Thanks for the advice or advise dear.figure it out which will suit the situation. :p
    @omidraha
    Amazing thread .I just bookmarked it.
    @takafromtokyo
    What kind of app are you using?

I never used any App specifically for improving my English though I have apps like an English dictionary, Facebook messenger,whatsapp,paytm,skype,chrome and all Google app including Google books.i have 10 to 12 eBook.Nowadays,i am not very regular in reading those eBook.
    @mohit_singh
    I don't own a smartphone myself. My company lends one to me, which means I can't download any apps on it. So, I don't use any.

I have Skype installed on a computer in my living room.
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭
    Can I ask you why you don't have any smartphone in this digital world?
    No, man! you should have one!
    @takafromtokyo
    @mohit_singh
    To own one is expensive in Japan. As long as my company let me use one, I'll just use it.
    Oh, I've just found you on Skype. Better get on Skype, I suppose.