Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Word and Phrases -daily exercise-

takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭
Pay attention to how native English speakers are phrasing things.
Pay attention to what words and phrases are used in, for example, a news article or some novels that you're reading.

Pick up some words and phrases that you didn't know, use them in sentences and learn how to use them yourself.
Practice daily. Knowing a thing and actually using the knowledge is a different thing.
You need to practice in order to become able to use it.

Enjoy studying!

------------------------

Pay attention to how native English speakers phrase things.
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭
    suspected criminal : a person who is thought to be guilty of a crime. He might have done it but we don't know for sure.

(1) He admitted killing suspected criminals when he spotted one.

(2) The police department decided to hold the suspected terrorist in custody for another 10days. They believe the man has had a strong connection with a terror group for the past few months.
    [rejuvenate] to make someone look or feel young and strong again

(1) I thought he'd come back from holidays looking revuvenated, but when I met him at the airport, he looked so exhausted.

(2) I was feeling so wearing from hard work these days, so I decided to take a break to make me feel rejuvanated.

Hi, everyone.
    What rejuvenating experience did you have recently?
    Today, I'm watching this YouTube video for my English study.

I'm tyring to shadow talk this video. Hope these exercise will actually help me improve my English skills. I'm not so sure about the method, but I guess you have to stick to it for a while to decide if it really works or not.
    [today's pick 5]
    (1) to get your hair done
    (2) a good quality (sound card)
    (3) to improve future (sessions)
    (4) due to time restrictions
    (5) to mute your mic
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,627 mod
    Hi Taka,

My husband gets really annoyed if I say "Have you had your hair done?" Do you know why?
    @Lynne
    I thought you were on a Christmas break or something. Thanks for visiting my post and leaving a comment! I really appreciate it.

Well, no, I don't think I know the answer, but I'll guess it anyway.

Your husband gets really annoyed when you say this because....he doesn't really have so many hairs! "It's none of your business!"

How about that?
    [today's topic]
    What's the opposite of "tech-savvy"?

I'm terrible with computers and digital gadgets. When someone knows everything about something and really good at it, I hear people say about him as "(something)-savvy". What if someone knows nothing about something and really terrible dealing with it, what do you call him?
    (Today's pick)
    + exorbitant : when something is exorbitant, it costs much higher than it should be.

When I felt something was rather expensive, I always described it as expensive, since that was the only word I knew. But sometimes, something's amount of price itself could be low and still seems expensive concerning the quality. I suppose "exorbitant" could come in handy in such cases, right?
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭✭
    Lynne said:

Hi Taka,

My husband gets really annoyed if I say "Have you had your hair done?" Do you know why?

Do his hair look like this, otherwise why do you keep asking him that?

What kind of hair do you want him to have? I highly recommend them.

Okay, I confess I just want to say that I like Colin Firth. :mrgreen:
    @Shiny03
    I really love your sense of humor. The pictures and comments you add always make me smile.

By the way, you've changed your profile picture!
    Wow! You look so liberated more than ever.
    @Shiny03
    Oh, I realized that your profile pictuie has chaned again!
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭✭

@Shiny03

Oh, I realized that your profile pictuie has chaned again!

Sometimes people just can't make a decision. :weary:
    Do you want me to change it again? :naughty:
    @Shiny03
    Well....if you'll let me make the call, I liked the previous one better, but of course, it's what you decide, and now that I looked at it again, I guess this one looks good too.

Oh, but if you look closely, I think it's kind of confusing, I mean, which one is you, the one that's riding or the one that's carrying?

Or, do you have anything better in your mind?

Now, look what you've done to me. I'm never going to come to a conclusion this way...

_| ̄|○
    @Shiny03
    Oh, you changed it to a new one. This one is easier to spot, I think. And it looks cuter to me.
    [today's pick]
    - to reckon : to think or suppose something
    - be paranoid about something
    Today's pick #2
    - squidgy : soft and easy to press

@amatsuscribbler described a cashmere jumper soft and squidgy. Now that I've learned this word, I'm wondering what else could be squidgy.

How about an orange. I checked out the five oranges that were left in the box, and one of them was really squidgy. I went for the normal one.

What are other squidgy things?
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Teacher Posts: 2,011 mod
    Plasticene, babies, balls of wool, my tummy!
    @amatsuscribbler
    Thanks for those other examples!

I've started to practice speaking English since last Monday. I went to an English speaking cafe twice, and I talked with kindgnice on Skype last night.

From what I experienced, the way people speak, like the words and phrases, are very much different from how they do it in writing. I7ve never really noticed they are different, but now I feel they're different. I've been learning English from articles and books mainly, but I think reading transcripts of some interviews or scripts of some dramas or movies would help me more in improving my speaking skills.

I searched the net and found one.
    http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=245950261

Just reading it halfway made me realize how different their English and mine was. I'm more used to reading articles and books. In fact, I can read them more smoothly. Now when I try reading the transcript, I realized that I stumble more.

So, I'm thnking that here is one area where I should work on.
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Teacher Posts: 2,011 mod
    You are correct! But it's all about practise and giving yourself as much opportunity as possible.
    @amatsuscribbler
    Thanks for your advice.

Exactly! I'll give myself as many chances as I can find to practice using English.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,627 mod
    edited January 3
    Hi @takafromtokyo,

@Lynne
    Because your husband practically has no hair!

Did I have it right?
    Today's pick : power outlet

It's great that the cafe you're in let you use their power outlets, isn't it?
    My laptop is reviving every second. I'm relieved.
    Today's pick:
    take/get/keep one's mind off something

Talking with my customer helped taking my mind off my headache.

What phrase would have the opposite meaning?
    "have/get/keep one's mind set on something"?

@mheredge @Larry_the_Zebra
    Today's pick#2
    : laundry(=uncountable) / laundries(=launderette; a place)
  • Larry_the_ZebraLarry_the_Zebra Posts: 394 ❤❤❤
    @takafromtokyo Maybe, to focus my attention on? Talking with my customer helped me focus my attention on my headache. (He was a very annoying man!)

To have your mind set on something = to be determined to do or have something. Laura has her mind set on a silver Mercedes. Tracy has her mind set on finishing her degree in sociology next year.
    @Larry_the_Zebra
    Thanks for your explanation!

Okay, today I have several important tasks to get done. I have my mind set on finishing them today. So, it'll be nice if I had something to get my mind off my headache because it hasn't left me yet.

By the way, I see you've changed your profile picture, Larry! Great! Some zebra expert with an excellent memory might be able to recognize the very zebra by looking at your picture!!
    edited February 1
    @takafromtokyo

> Okay, today I have several important tasks to get done. I have my mind set on finishing them today. So, it'll be nice if I had something to get my mind off my headache because it hasn't left me yet.

Exactly. Great example sentences. And yes, I'm sure a zebra expert -- or another zebra -- would be able to say...wait a minute....I know him...that's Larry, isn't it? Yes, yes, that's Larry! :)

I also wanted to add: if you want to make laundry (clothing) plural, you can say 'a load of laundry'. As in: I have three loads of laundry to do today.
    But, 'laundries' still means several laundrettes.
    Today's pick:
    to rustle something up

to cook something quickly. Speed is the key.

(1) Over the years, I've trained myself to rustle up a bowl of fried rice in less than 5 minutes.

@mheredge @Larry_the_Zebra

@zaiymurs
    Can you rustle something up with tomato and chicken?
    @takafromtokyo Sounds good to me! Can you rustle me up a bowl of fried rice, too, while you are at it? (Your example sentence is good!)