Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How to host a Session ? Some tips for you!

mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2016 in Questions
Hey Hey Hey! How are you guys?
So here I am with a new curiosity!

I need some tips to successfully manage a session for new host(me).
Let me tag all those people who is an amazing host to me or atleast I have attended one session from them.I know there are a lot more amazing host to whom I am unknown.But I will try to tag them all.

I need your opinion that can be helpful for new host.Basically,It means that this group is for host ! :D :D

@Lynne @aladdin @NatashaT @Bubbly @zom @april @Rema @torellip @peaceculture2 @mheredge @Frank @filauzio @dope @abhishekb9099 @gam01hr @gerry @Khalied @nidhii @Anurada @kindgnice @arni @Shiny03 @GemmaRowlands .

Comments

• KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mohit_singh anyone can host session and I'll try to join practice because when I listen I can attention 100% but when I speak 70%
    did you know I took course about how to make session between professors and students.The most important thing the topic you should choose topic easily to understand .
    I studied How to make session in real life not by Internet

• mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭✭
    Have you taken any session in real life? @khalied.
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mohit_singh there's a story related to me about first discussion about drugs and the professor asked for host anyone can start discussion and almost friends asked me to start then my asked me to set down and ask all group about drugs . @mohit_singh I'm so friendly with my teachers and little bit to make relationship with my mates .really I faced big problem at university to speak with someone and next week to speak again and said do you remember me ?sorry I can't remember your name exactly .if you're familiar with mates you will face problem like that . I remember funny situation with girl ask for lectures and I don't like to give any girl my note book and said if you don't give me your notebook I'll hit you :D
  • ZomZom Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that when you run a session you have to enjoy it too. Be yourself, have fun, don't be afraid of potential blunders and then the participants will just want to be part of it.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,124 mod
    I'm sure you would make a great host @mohit_singh. It can be a juggling act to ensure that everyone gets a chance to speak. Lots of open questions help, and picking on people to answer too. But if they feel shy to talk, that's okay as some members want to listen and will eventually pluck up courage to speak.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,666 mod
    Yay! Mohit! You rock! (Are you after another badge?)

Make sure you choose a topic you are interested in. I very rarely run sessions on thermo nuclear power. :smile:
    Yes, I am always a greedy one for the badges @Lynne
    But for which badge you are asking?
  • zaiymurszaiymurs Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    Actually i'm thinking of this kind of question sinced few weeks ago, i google and never expect i came across this question, and it was you haha. I'm thinking the same, worrying others might be get boring with some topics. :s
  • camellinacamellina Posts: 1
    hi everyone, i am new here and i want to post a question but i don't know how to
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 542 mod
    @zaiymurs You would be suprised which topics people find interesting! If it´s a topic that made you think, or suprised you, it´s probably a topic that other people will like too. Everyone enjoys learning about new things, so even if it´s not a topic they have thought about before, it will be interesting for them.
    Thanks for your advice @NatashaT , i have to believe in myself :)
    You Can believe on me as well @zaiymurs :D :D

I am kidding. I know you would be a great host. Just tell me when are you hosting Buddy? I will be there to make you feel comfortable. As I feel uncomfortable with new people. When I am hosting with my closed one(Regular member) In LESC, I feel that I am at best. Because I know whatever mistakes I will do they are not going to mind it at all.
    edited February 3
    I believe in you @mohit_singh , as you're permanent host now. Unfortunately i'm no longer in LESC, are you still getting nervous during your own session?

It will be held tomorrow.
    edited February 6
    zaiymurs wrote: »
    I believe in you @mohit_singh , as you're permanent host now. Unfortunately i'm no longer in LESC, are you still getting nervous during your own session?

It will be held tomorrow.

There is no nervousness anymore now but I feel a slight pressure just before the session. If the members remains interactive, the 2 hour session just flows like minutes and vice versa.
    It's the responsibility of a host to make session interesting and interactive.