Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On this breezy October morn, I walk
in the swift shadows of cloud-cursing rooks,
watching the world wake on the horizon.
Leo Yankevich
All houses wherein men have lived and died
Are haunted houses. Through the open doors
The harmless phantoms on their errands glide,
With feet that make no sound upon the floors.

We meet them at the doorway, on the stair,
Along the passages they come and go,
Impalpable impressions on the air,
A sense of something moving to and fro.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

India

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 27,501 mod
I love India! Some places really ooze with character. I've just checked in to a 1920s hotel that is really a step into the past. Quite a contrast from the surprising Frenchness of Pondicherry just a few hours away by bus.

Has anyone been to India? (Or is anyone from India.)

Do you have Indian communities in you country? In Britain there are more than a million Indians living there.

Do you like Indian food?
Tagged:

Comments

• HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,476 mod
    Isn`t it there where cows are holy?
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,501 mod
    Yes. India is mainly Hindu and they don't eat beef. There are a lot of Muslims and in some places, quite a few Christians and they don't have any problem with eating beef.

During some holy festivals, cows are decorated. No one is supposed to kill them. This means that street cows can be seen, eating whatever they can find by the roadside. It's very sad.
    Sad to whom? Citizien or cows. I mean the cows do have a good life, don`t they?
    I'm not so sure that they all do @Hermine. Because no one can kill cows, unwanted cows are left to forage in the streets. No one takes care of them. They are like street dogs.
    @Marianne - I always thought a cow must be milked, if not they get ill. We will have to accept their rules. A discussion is lit from time to from. Some people want to take off the crosses in schools. I am not for it because it is my culture.
    I think it is so sad the globalization takes us away so many unique customs.
    @Hermine I agree, cows need to be milked. But when they have a calf, this does the job naturally. I don't know enough about cows but I guess before they became domesticated, and no one was around to milk them, they must have coped somehow.
  • yeah. mheredge . you are right
    I was interested to hear a Sri Lankan guide telling some French tourists (in French) about the sacred 'taureau' (bull). Normally we talk about the cow being sacred to Hindus, but he was quite adamant. He also said that the Dalai Lama wasn't a 'real Buddhist' which left us a bit confounded.

Hinduism is a minority religion in Sri Lanka, followed mainly by Tamils who largely immigrated from India during the British rule in the hundred years after 1850.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,524 mod
    If a cow isn't milked she will simply dry up, her body reabsorbs the milk, until she stops lactating. There are some risks, for example if she recently calved, then there would be a risk of infection, and it would be very uncomfortable for her if the calf wasn't feeding.
    Aha @Lynne. That will account for cows wandering around that don't need to be milked.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,199 mod
    They only need to be milked after they have calved, right? Like human.
    Otherwise they don't have any milk.
    But then how come dairy farmers seem to be milking their cows all the time @april? Surely they all haven't had calves? And even if they have, then if the calf is drinking it all, where's the milk left for thirsty humans?
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,199 mod
    edited January 2014
    After having calved, cows have milk for a couple of months and it seems that milk which cows produce is so plentiful that it is more than enough for the baby calf and for us.
    So if a cow calves twice a year the farmers will have milk the whole year on condition that they have to milk the cow every day.
    That explains it. Oh well, I now don't feel quite so worried about how street cows manage if they don't get milked. But it is sad to see them searching through the dustbins and eating rubbish.
    No @lee, I'm not from India but I spend quite a lot of time there and also in Nepal. At the moment though, I'm in Cambodia. What about you? Where are you?
  • SLBSLB Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't know about that, @mheredge Poor of them, they don't deserve such a miserable.
    If no one is supposed to kill them, aren't they supposed to help them then?
    That's a very interesting point. I remember an Indian once telling a story about the difference in western and eastern culture. The westerner might drown the pups of a street dog that has died for example, to put them out of their misery. The Indian however, would let the tiny pups crawl in the filth, where they might get trodden on, or starve to death. Which is the kinder act? Unfortunately though Hindus and Buddhists are not supposed to kill animals, sadly, many don't often do very much to take care of them either.
    Where in India are you from, @Lee? I love India very much!
    I totally agree @lee. But I find it hard to accept the cruelty of allowing these animals to be left on the streets, with no one taking any care of them. It's very sad to see street cows trying to eat cardboard cartons and plastic.

South India is especially lovely @lee, though it must be getting very hot by now. I was there in December, and it was quite hot then.
    Some places are probably better than others. I don't think anyone takes care of the street cows in Kathmandu. And as for the street dogs, it seems foreigners are about the only people who try to set up shelters and provide medical treatment for them.
  • nabillanabilla Posts: 14 Inactive
    edited August 2014
    cocoa islands ,maldives,India .the place where i want to visit as soon as possible .they had a beautiful beach with with sand .cool

-------------------------

The cocoa islands, Maldives, India: The place I want to visit as soon as possible. They have beautiful beaches with white sand. Cool!
    Post edited by Lynne on
    @lee, why get the cows treated so well? Is there anywhere anything to read about.
    Here in my country a cow is an ordinar animal nothing special. Some farmers like to cut their horns off or burn it back.
  • SLBSLB Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice taxis, @mheredge‌
    Cows are sacred to the Hindus, @Hermine. http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_cow
    I'm so happy being back in India! The metro from the airport to the centre is so nice - just 20 minutes and no crowds. I had the usual problem of visiting umpteen shops to find what I needed, but was successful in the end.
    I had to laugh. Here on a houseboat in Kashmir, the son of the owner is sporting the most fashionable haircut and has Bollywood dancing down to a tee.
  • ThomasJudeThomasJude Posts: 98 ✭✭
    edited July 2014
    @Hermine there are lot of surprising rituals and beliefs in India. During the festival of God 'Ganesha' nobody is supposed to kill 'Rats' as it is considered to be the vehicle of Ganesha.
  • ThomasJudeThomasJude Posts: 98 ✭✭
    @Hermine >:)
    I never knew that @ThomasJude‌. But then Buddhists won't kill rats or any other animal (if they are true to their religion).