Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What do you understanding about tolerance? How do you implement it in your daily lives?

I believe this deed is not as easy as said than done. But it is a vital if we live in pluralism environment. I just want to know about your point of view related to this point and please share here.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,555 mod
    I think it takes practice @icha_15. But I try to remind myself of something that I heard the Dalai Lama say one time, which really meant a lot to me. He said that we need to always remember that everyone wants the same thing, happiness. Obviously people have different ways to achieve this, but when someone does something thoughtlessly or in a way that I find annoying, I try to remind myself that everyone has different ways of achieving this goal.

It doesn't work always, but sometimes it does!
  • mdshamsadmdshamsad Posts: 87 ✭✭
    We can difference in lifestyle belief,religious belief,Political belief......But Yet we respect each other it is tolerance...If we implement in real life then we can know different idea regarding many thing and it can improve our logical thinking also..
  • zaiymurszaiymurs Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    For me tolerence is the way you accepting others, it could be anything like what @mdshamsad said, living in the world of various people, thinking and multicultural is a must, even if they have different belief, that doesn't mean you have to believe the same way as they are, but just respect and accept others dogma, cultural, custom and so on.

And for me it's also applicable in working environments, whether you are employer or employees.
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭✭
    According to me, Tolerance is a limit up to where you can allow others to interfere in your situation or life.

@icha_15 @mheredge
    you picked an amazing topic! @icha_15. But I have one Question to ask. from where you find this topic? What comes to your mind when you hear this Word "tolerance"?
    @mheredge I want an answer from you as well.Because I know you can give a great insight to this topic!
  • icha_15icha_15 Posts: 127 ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    @mheredge It s a great thought indeed that coming from the one of greater thinker in the world. I myself don't deny that it will bring peaceful circumstace in our earth. Everyone doesnt need to comprehended by other and they can put emphaty to other well. the problem is tolerance has its limit or restrictions. And there are rules which are written or not that should know by other too. In my opinion it will build a respect deed. What do you think about words "you will be treated as how you treat other"?
    Yes I agree with you @mdshamsad that often times we forget that diversities make our lives more colorful. The vital thing that we should put in our mind is keeping our deeds not to bring harm or hurt for other. I always try to remember that if I want to be treated in good way so I have to do first to other. It is like respect giving to those who deserve not ask.
    Your opinion is similar with @mdshamsad bro @zaiymurs. Yes as my explanation above. The point of yours that we don't need to force other to accept our thinking is correct. I like the sentence that says" if you like, take it but if you don't like, leave it". It is simple than we have to show other that we are right and they are wrong.
    Yes for sure this value should be implemented in all aspects of life not only in religion, thinking, culture, work place and so forth.
    edited December 2016
    Hi @mohit_singh , first let me say to thank you to compliment me. To be honest it just comes up in my mind looking at condition in my country. I don't need to explain it details because I dont want to transfer nuance from Facebook to here haha...
    I commented as well in discussion about Facebook that makes us dumb. So, I just want to know about this word of "tolerance" from other. I think it is so interesting and the important thing as well to wide our wisdom and how to behave properly to create a peaceful as @mheredge said above.
    So could you give your views about tolerance itself :-)
    I don't know if there's a places on this world where we can find 100% tolerable society, the tolerable level for every person is not same, some more some less. In my opinion the more you mingle around with the diverse people the more you learn to accept others.

I understood, you don't have to sharing that, some people had stereotype towards others without getting the right info or not trying to learn nor trying to figure out about it, some might be get the wrong information and mislead by what they heard and read, some trying to inciting others
    @mohit_singh I think @zaiymurs sums it up very well.
    zaiymurs wrote: »
    For me tolerence is the way you accepting others, it could be anything like what @mdshamsad said, living in the world of various people, thinking and multicultural is a must, even if they have different belief, that doesn't mean you have to believe the same way as they are, but just respect and accept others dogma, cultural, custom and so on.

And for me it's also applicable in working environments, whether you are employer or employees.

I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not everyone thinks the same way. Unfortunately I don't think that enough people respect this and are intolerant to those who don't agree with them.
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭✭
    We should listen more and speak truth.conclusion of this world Tolerance looks like this.I isn't It?
    Listening other point even if you don't agree with the speaker.This is the most common things that we need to practice in debate session of LESC now.
    Thanks for pointing out this @zaiymurs @mheredge .
    I suppose 'each to their own' is a valid phrase to remember. Not everyone has to think in the same way about things.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭✭
    "Everyone should be allowed to have his/he own opinions." could become a little tricky sometimes.

Wether the idea works or not I think depends on from which position you make this statement: (1) You say this while you care about other people, or (2) You say this because you don't want to be distrubed or intervened.

"You can have your opinion. He can have his opinion. They can have their opinions. So, why can't I have my opinion. No one has a right to intervene my decisions, unless I'm hurting anybody. Wether I'm hurting others or not, I have a 100% right to decide because I'm allowed to have my opinion. "

I know this sound a little bit too exaggerating, but I think there are many leaders of various organizations who have more or less the same kind of logic.

"Think about our group first! We don't care about what they think. Why should we. That's their business! Everyone should mind his own business! We're going to win! We're going to win big!"
    @mohit_singh , why not to having some arguement on Skype sessions if you are did it for learning and practising towards English proficiency, no wonder it's known as debate. Of course not for hatred.

@takafromtokyo , agreed, as you said it depends in different situation, positions or side, and must be careful if the others idea, opinions or solutions could bring down and lead to the loss of organizations. An angineer idea to make the production process more easy but it have to cost more money than original idea, the leader could not tolerate with his idea. It require the knowledges and intelligence to analyze and make the decisions.

But tried to tolerate if it was related to others religions, belief, cultural and custom, be careful! this things is very sensitive!, unless the others is trying to make provocation, and we can't give them too much space.
    Thanks for mention that @mheredge , the quote button is not working.
    @zaiymurs
    Could you allow me to add a little more explanation to my point?
    I totally agree with each indivisual having his/her own opinion, as the mainstream of this dscussion.

What I want to add here is that just because people can choose what he/she wants to do by his/her own will doesn't automatically mean that he/she can choose without consideration for others.

If "freedom" means you can choose wahtever you like, it's up to you, as long as you aren't doing any harm, it could cause troubles. There are so many examples.

(ex) A country on the upstream decided to use the river to generate electricity and built a dam. As a result, the people on the downstream couldn't get enough water from the river and their fields have now dried up.

⇒ Is it really right for the country on the upstream not to think about the life of people on the downstream? Or, should the decision of the people on the upstream restricted concerning the effects and consequences that follow, even if each county has its sovereignty?

People should not lose consideration for others.
    @zaiymurs
    Oh, the example case I wrote above is a fiction. But I'm sure we can find tons of similar cases when we read newspapers.
    it's a pleasure to get an further explanation by you @takafromtokyo.
    @zaiymurs
    I am sure there is no place on this earth that has 100% of tolerance. I agree with you again that the level of tolerance itself will differ one another. I think tolerance like an unwritten rule that we could implement in our lives to keep peace around us in the small scope and the world’s peace in the larger context. As I said previously that we should treat the people as we want to be treated, I think it is a simple of the tolerance’s deed. Thanks to share your thoughts for this topic.