Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Write your own moral stories

FrankFrank ModeratorPosts: 4,997 mod
edited December 2016 in Your Writing

Write your own moral stories

Everybody can invent their own stories and write them down, or at least try to do so. I asked my son Luuk, who is nine years old, to invent an animal story with a moral. A moral of a story is a lesson that is taught within the context of the tale, often using an analogy. If you want to know what a moral story looks like, you can take a look here: http://www.english-for-students.com/Moral-Stories.html.

The first story you find below is written by Luuk and together, Luuk and I translated it into English. We hope you like it. I want to challenge you to invent your own short moral story and to write it down here. Add your post, and then wait for one of us to correct it. Volunteers are welcome to help with feedback / corrections in a supportive and encouraging manner. Any corrections made may feature in the English magazine - with full acknowledgement of course.
Post edited by Frank on

Comments

• mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the story and the best part of this story is the moral that it includes.
    Thanks dear! For starting the thread! I will definitely try to write some short story in future.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,495 mod
    edited December 2016
    @Frank - What a sad story! I hope my friends understand that I'm so busy I don't have time to play.

A little correction at the end:-

"After a while the door opened, and a raccoon, who was one of his friends, was standing in the opening, but he said: "Go away, we don't want you here anymore. For months you have been busy with yourself, and only yourself. You didn't want to play with us. Now we want to celebrate our own party, and we don't want you to be any part of it. Live your own life and leave us in peace."

Luuk went home to his nest and cried. He felt very lonely. He regretted that he had been so busy with his own interests that he hadn't thought about his friends. "
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,658 mod
    edited December 2016
    Great, @Frank ! :D
    I don't think I'll get any inspiration to write any moral story though. :'(
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 4,997 mod
    edited December 2016
    I'm sure your friends understand you very well @Lynne. However, we can always learn something from morals - such as being more aware of whatever we do and of the effect that our behaviour can have on others. At least I consider a moral, written by my own nine years old son, to be very educative. Thanks for your corrections. I integrated these into Luuk's original story (exept for the copies on Duolingo, which I can't change anymore).
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,672 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Super Frank you are giving me a difficult task this time! :|
    If someone can do it, you can do it @Bubbly.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,272 mod
    How about my native language @Frank? :)
    Just kidding. ;) Nice story pal!
    Feel free to correct it in your native language here, @kindgnice. I'd love to read it. The only thing is that I can't correct (nor understand) your post after you've written it. For this, you have to find someone who speaks your language.
  • nuurussubchiynuurussubchiy Posts: 179 ✭✭
    ones or once?
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 320 ✭✭✭
    @Frank
    Thank you for the excellent story. I love it. :)
    I think your son is really sympathetic, because he named the sad duck after himself, even though the duck is sad from his own fault.
    Once... Thanks @nuurussubchiy.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭
    @Frank
    Great story! I'm amazed by your 9-year-old!
    Thanks for starting this wonderful thread.
    edited January 17
    Great story Chijung!
    I'll try to make some language adjustments.

---

Heron and Mussel

One sunny day at the seaside a mussel came out from the water to sunbathe. After a long time staying in the dark cold water, the mussel was happy to finally have some warmth. It opened its shell to give fully access to the sun.

Meanwhile, a heron was creeping on the seaside searching for food. It hadn't had any food for almost two days and its stomach was growling badly. So when it discovered the mussel lying there, totally unaware of any danger. It was more than happy.

The heron used its beak to attack the mussel, but the mussel immediately fought back. It quickly closed its shell, therebye seizing the heron's beak tightly. None of them wanted to let go of the other. Then the heron started singing: "There is no rain today, there will be no rain tomorrow, sooner or later, you will thirst to death!". The mussel replied: "I do not release you today, I will not release you tomorrow, sooner or later, you will hunger to death!" Then a fisherman walked by and caught them without much effort.

Moral of the story: Be careful when you're fighting each other. Usually a third party is the final winner.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 497 mod
    @chyijung & @Frank - Great story!! One extra correction - we usually say ´die of thirst´ and ´die of hunger´, although you can also say ´starve to death´ - I don´t think there is a similar phrase `x to death´ when you are thirsty though.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,495 mod
    Thanks for sharing @chyijung. At least the fisherman was happy.
    edited January 19
    NatashaT said:

I don´t think there is a similar phrase `x to death´ when you are thirsty though.

So now we invented a new one @NatashaT. Long live the living language! :p

• chyijungchyijung Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19
    I found that writing my own moral story is extremely difficult. In the process, I even doubted about my moral LOL. So mybe next time.
    Luuk has done a great job, we're waiting for you to write down more story here.
    For the time being, I want to share another story and hook for Frank's correction. B)

An old man who lose a horse

Once upon a time, there was an old man who lived with his only son nearby the border.
    They had a horse kept behind the house. One day, the horse ran across the border to the enemy side.
    The neighborhood heard the news and came to console him. But the old man just said: " Who know if this couldn't be a good thing? "
    Several months later, the horse came back brought along other twelve horses. All the neighbor came to congrats him for owning of thirteen strong horses now. But the old man only said: " Who know if this couldn't be a bad thing? "
    The old man's son loved to hunt on the horse. One early morning, while riding his favorite horse chasing down a prey. The horse lost its gait and threw the old man's son to the ground, thereby breaking his leg and destroyed his walking ability forever.
    When the neighborhood came to the old man. The old man said again: " Who know if this couldn't be a good thing? " All the villagers thought the old man had loss his mind for being too sad.
    Then one day, the war started between the countries. All the youth in the village were recruited into the army and died on the front line. But because the old man's son couldn't walk, He was spared.

Moral of the story: Don't judge anything so quickly because we will never know what could come next.