Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What would you like for Christmas?

For many around the world, Christmas is coming up, and this is a time where people give gifts to their loved ones.

So, it made me think, what kinds of gifts do you like to receive? I like getting sweet things like chocolates, as this is something that I enjoy.

What about you? What would you like for Christmas this year?
«1

Comments

  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,498 mod
    My vegan friend has asked for a Christmas present. She has asked that if possible, her friends be vegetarian for the week over Christmas. I want to give it a try though I might find avoiding fish my downfall!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 3,647 mod
    mheredge said:

    My vegan friend has asked for a Christmas present. She has asked that if possible, her friends be vegetarian for the week over Christmas. I want to give it a try though I might find avoiding fish my downfall!

    I think that would be very difficult, as there are often so many different meats involved in tradition! But it would certainly be a good challenge!
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,490 mod
    Good question @GemmaRowlands.

    I would like more teachers to volunteer to help people with their English, or maybe the ability to program the Network with all the features I envisage. Failing that, I'll take a copy of the new Microsoft hololens. I saw it on the Gadget show and it looks awesome. (It's not on sale yet, so I'm safe in putting this online.)

    -------------------

    @mheredge, just tell your vegangelist friend you'll give it up for Lent.

    Q - How do you know if someone is vegan?
    A - Don't worry, they'll let you know.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,498 mod
    @GemmaRowlands I certainly wouldn't find it difficult to forego meat, but fish might be a lot harder. I find it interesting that here in Nepal, most people don't seem to count fish as 'meat'. It's almost as if fish don't have feelings too.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,650 mod
    I hope that Father Christmas could bring peace for everybody in the world.
    For me myself, I hope I'd still live healthily and happily until next Christmas. (at least :D )
  • sirinsirin Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Christmas ... @GemmaRowlands thank you! I would like for Christmas .... may be some ideas how to create unusual things like candles, solid perfume, natural lipsticks, balms. And may be how to creatively arrange these gifts. I know it will come to me with time
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 3,647 mod
    mheredge said:

    @GemmaRowlands I certainly wouldn't find it difficult to forego meat, but fish might be a lot harder. I find it interesting that here in Nepal, most people don't seem to count fish as 'meat'. It's almost as if fish don't have feelings too.

    Yes, in the UK a lot of "vegetarians" also eat fish, and I have never been able to work out why eating land animals is unacceptable, yet eating fish is somehow fine.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,498 mod
    I suppose fish are thought not to feel things like mammals @GemmaRowlands but in the eyes of Lord Buddha, they are all sentient beings and so really from ants to whales, we shouldn't kill them.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 3,647 mod
    mheredge said:

    I suppose fish are thought not to feel things like mammals @GemmaRowlands but in the eyes of Lord Buddha, they are all sentient beings and so really from ants to whales, we shouldn't kill them.

    I'm not sure what the theory is behind it. But to me it seems like double standards, as fish are very much living creatures!
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,498 mod
    Yesterday my friend Glen posted on Facebook ' What do you want Santa to bring you for Christmas?'

    For my friend, she got a list of some impossible gifts, but when I played it, I cracked up with my result.

    My 'wishes' it came up with were:
    - a date with Glen (Facebook must have tracked it was from her post)
    - big muscles (???!!! maybe Facebook worked out I had been trekking)
    - champagne (an easy one, again Facebook must see what I like)
    - a private art collection (I don't know how it came up with this one)

    However when I did it again, the list was completely different (a new phone, a massage, 5486 hours of sleep, a private jet). Is it random?

    https://en.nametests.com/test/what-do-you-want-santa-to-bring-you-this-christmas/15047/?start=1#_=_
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 3,647 mod
    mheredge said:

    Yesterday my friend Glen posted on Facebook ' What do you want Santa to bring you for Christmas?'

    For my friend, she got a list of some impossible gifts, but when I played it, I cracked up with my result.

    My 'wishes' it came up with were:
    - a date with Glen (Facebook must have tracked it was from her post)
    - big muscles (???!!! maybe Facebook worked out I had been trekking)
    - champagne (an easy one, again Facebook must see what I like)
    - a private art collection (I don't know how it came up with this one)

    However when I did it again, the list was completely different (a new phone, a massage, 5486 hours of sleep, a private jet). Is it random?

    https://en.nametests.com/test/what-do-you-want-santa-to-bring-you-this-christmas/15047/?start=1#_=_

    I imagine a private art collection would be a great gift to receive - just think about how much that would be worth!
  • hazel27hazel27 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭
    But you shouldn't sell gifts @GemmaRowlands :D
  • DavidCGDavidCG Posts: 11 ✭✭
    The food!! I love Xmas food and chocolates!!
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,498 mod
    I'm not sure what it meant by a private art collection @GemmaRowlands. I already have a collection of pictures so I don't need another one!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 3,647 mod
    hazel27 said:

    But you shouldn't sell gifts @GemmaRowlands :D

    Well yes, that is true, but it is still nice to think about it I suppose!
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,498 mod
    It looks like very fast internet might be what I'll be getting this Christmas! Since I have arrived in Thailand I have only experienced very fast internet speeds, faster even than what I was getting in France!
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,498 mod
    I like this advert. This Polish guy orders an English book for beginners!

    http://www.sunnyskyz.com/happy-videos/5383/Poland-Delivers-The-Best-Christmas-Ad-You-ll-See-This-Year
  • CalixtaCalixta Posts: 27 ✭✭
    As much as I enjoy the holiday season, it can be a stressful time for an introvert like me with all the parties and crowds in malls. But I enjoy the food, the decors and the chance to get together with friends and family.
  • DeucalionDeucalion Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    @Calixta
    Everytime when I see someone mentioning in an apologetic tone he or she is an introvert, I remember the title of a book "The power of introverts". :)
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 3,647 mod
    mheredge said:

    It looks like very fast internet might be what I'll be getting this Christmas! Since I have arrived in Thailand I have only experienced very fast internet speeds, faster even than what I was getting in France!

    Well, that is certainly something to enjoy, isn't it! Nothing is more frustrating than trying to load pages on internet that seems to enjoy being slow and annoying!
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭
    I fond this artcile today.
    Wish a merry Christmas to everyone, regardless of any lines people drew between people.

    http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/12/09/504969049/a-message-of-tolerance-and-welcome-spreading-from-yard-to-yard
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,498 mod
    I don't think that Christmas is a big deal in Thailand. I think it's a normal working day here.
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 241 ✭✭
    @mheredge I like this advertisement besides it is made in country.
  • iris69iris69 Posts: 1
    In Iran christmas is not usual because we use iranian or persian calenders. actually our new year is call nowrouz and its first day of spring. 1 Farvardin (first month of spring) is the day whose midnight start is nearest to the instant of vernal equinox. The first six months have 31 days, the next five thirty, and the twelfth has 29 days and 30 in leap years.
    But some of iranian celebrate christmas like a ceremony, and if I want to think about gifts. first I want to healthy life then a big villa :blush: :wink:
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,498 mod
    I spent Christmas Day in Iran once @iris69. I was in Mashed and there was absolutely nothing to show that it was Christmas Day.

    I hear that in Thailand, in some schools they celebrate the day by exchanging gifts. I wonder whether the students have any idea about the reason for this custom.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 3,647 mod
    mheredge said:

    I don't think that Christmas is a big deal in Thailand. I think it's a normal working day here.

    I imagine that is the case in a lot of countries. Just as in England, lots of other celebrations in other countries are normal working days for us!
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 241 ✭✭
    We don't work in 25th and 26th December because we celebrate a Christmas by two days.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 3,647 mod
    nomad81 said:

    We don't work in 25th and 26th December because we celebrate a Christmas by two days.

    That is good. This year, Christmas Day falls at the weekend, so in the UK we also get Monday and Tuesday off, too, as compensation!
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,498 mod
    @GemmaRowlands the French lose both days as extra holiday then. , When bank holidays fall on weekends, they don't get any extra time off.
Sign In or Register to comment.