Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

The truth about wearing alternative Japanese fashion

ElfishElfish Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭

text

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,885 mod
    @Shiny03, @takafromtokyo, @Yellowtail what do you think? I thought that the women's fashion in Japan was very pretty. I only spent a couple of days in Tokyo but I only saw business-clad ladies around the offices at the main station area.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge
    I guess there are actually women like her in the pictures.
    Women wear like that in working day. It's not so common to wear like that on Holidays for most women, but that doesn't mean no women wears like that. There are groups of women who like that kind of fashion, I suppose.

Speaking of holiday fashion, there are so much more varieties that you wouldn't be able to illustrate in one or two pictures. As far as I understand, we dress almost like American people.

By the way, what does "alternative Japanese fashion" mean to begin with? I've already started writing my comment, and I realized that I didn't really understand the topic itelf. haha
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    > @takafromtokyo said:

> By the way, what does "alternative Japanese fashion" mean to begin with? I've already started writing my comment, and I realized that I didn't really understand the topic itelf. haha

I think I can provide a clue. Some comments about the Japanese fashion from a popular Russian blogger:

1. "This girl has decided to put on everything she could find in her wardrobe. A rare case when there's no a thing which matches another."
    (copypaste the links into your browser's address line and delete the spaces before hitting "Go")
    varlamov . me /img/jap_facion/ 03.jpg
    varlamov . me /img/jap_facion/ 07.jpg
    varlamov . me /img/jap_facion/ 09.jpg

2. "When I was looking at the local young girls I felt like an old man. I wouldn't allow my daughter to go outdoors without pants"

varlamov . me /img/jap_facion/ 06.jpg

3. "Bandy legs and a mini-skirt - the classic image of a Japanese girl"

varlamov . me /img/jap_facion/ 26.jpg

That's how the author looks like:
    varlamov . me /2016/-/photo_2016-06-13_15-58-21.jpg
    His style may puzzle some people too.
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    I'm not familiar with women's fashion. So I can't find any characteristic of Japanese women's fashion different from other countries' one, as long as it's in city areas.
    And I think the holiday outfit in the image looks like kind of kids clothing or anime cosplay. :D
    images.sgcafe.net/2011/02/madoka.jpg
  • ElfishElfish Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,
    There are lots of various alternative styles in Japan, the one I depict on the left of this comic strip is "gothic lolita", a style inspired from victorian era and rococco. Then there are substyles like decora with looots of girly, fancy and colourful childish accessories, hairpins, jewellery...; mori kei inspired with the forest, layers of brown, beige, black loose clothes etc. etc. These are a few example of alt. Jap. fashion: https://google.fr/search?q=fruits+japan&safe=off&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiC7pG5q9jQAhXqB8AKHV6JAloQsAQIIw&biw=1366&bih=662
    As for me I've been in love with the style(s) for 13 years and I love to follow the evolution.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭✭
    @Elfish
    I've checked the link. I must say it's not really widely seen in any places, but I think girls enjoy these kinds of fashion in certain areas. I think they would like to gather and show each other their latest fashion. I think it's absolutely a peaceful hobby, if you don't mind my calling it this way. I'm trying to say this nicely but if you feel in any way offended by the way I put it, could you let me know.

I think it's totally up to each of us to decide how we dress.

By the way, it made me laughing scrolling down. What's with the watermelons and some weird looking fruit? Why do they appear in the same list?
  • ElfishElfish Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭
    @takafromtokyo I'm not the least offended, and I guess seeing your pseudo you live in Japan so you know much more than I do on the topic. I think some outfits are really over the top but I have the soul of an artist and these girls are like living canvas. Sorry for the pictures of the fruits, I just googled "fruits japan", the famous magazine about alt. street fashion in Japan and the fruits popped up in the search LOL.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,885 mod
    Elfish said:

Hi all,
    There are lots of various alternative styles in Japan, the one I depict on the left of this comic strip is "gothic lolita", a style inspired from victorian era and rococco. Then there are substyles like decora with looots of girly, fancy and colourful childish accessories, hairpins, jewellery...; mori kei inspired with the forest, layers of brown, beige, black loose clothes etc. etc. These are a few example of alt. Jap. fashion: https://google.fr/search?q=fruits+japan&safe=off&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiC7pG5q9jQAhXqB8AKHV6JAloQsAQIIw&biw=1366&bih=662
    As for me I've been in love with the style(s) for 13 years and I love to follow the evolution.

I'm not so sure that you are too far off the mark @Elfish, at least in Osaka, where I did see a lot of young girls dressed more like your picture on the left.

And certainly I saw a lot of girls sporting all sorts of cute accessories. Maybe @Shiny03 is the best qualified to comment here.