Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

News Round Up 223

pridepocpridepoc Posts: 173 ✭✭✭
edited November 2016 in Archived News 2017
Shhh...
http://www.english-magazine.org/english-reading/english-news-round-up/4302-news-round-up-223

Here'e the link for the recording:-

and the slow version:-
Post edited by amatsuscribbler on
Tagged:

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,170 mod
    I have added a Parental Advisory to this one!
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,008 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the study but children learn a lot through imagination.

There are some provocative comments in a Daily Telegraph in story in which they say that parents have been urged to stop pretending Father Christmas is real in case the "lie" damages relations with their children.

Psychologist Professor Christopher Boyle and social scientist Dr Kathy McKay were writing in the journal The Lancet Psychiatry and commented: “If they (parents) are capable of lying about something so special and magical, can they be relied upon to continue as the guardians of wisdom and truth?"

They also suggest that parents may not be motivated by thoughts of their children but a selfish desire to re-live their own childhood.

Professor Boyle, from the University of Exeter, said: “The morality of making children believe in such myths has to be questioned.

“All children will eventually find out they've been consistently lied to for years, and this might make them wonder what other lies they've been told.”
    Do they have enough space to increase the size of bays?

It seems that UK car parks are struggling in cope with the increase in size of many modern day vehicles.

An article in the Daily Mail says that Britain's biggest car park operator National Car Parks has been forced to redesign the size of its bays amid the country's growing obsession with modern SUVs.

The company commented that it had already made its spaces bigger in London, Manchester and Bournemouth to meet the rise in family cars and 4x4s.

They have estimated there has been a 35 per cent rise in parking accidents since 2014, so now it will be increasing the size of bays 'wherever possible'.
    So no more popcorns!

ONE of the country's leading actresses Imelda Staunton has urged a ban on eating and drinking in theatres.

The Guardian quotes an interview she gave to the listings magazine Radio Times in which she called on people to give the performance their full attention.

Staunton, who starred in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and Vera Drake, added: “I don’t know why people can’t engage in just one thing. I don’t understand this obsession with having to eat or drink something at every moment of the day.”

Her comments follow those earlier in the year by theatre producer Richard Jordan who complained about theatregoers spending the whole performance eating loudly.

He said: “It was like listening to eating in Dolby Stereo, and sadly at the expense of being able to properly hear the lines being spoken on stage.”
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Teacher Posts: 2,179 mod
    @Bubbly - children don't distinguish between real and imagined until they are about 6 or 7 anyway. I'm not sure what to think! My two thoroughly enjoyed Father Christmas but I was quite circumspect in telling them that he couldn't afford everything! So the larger presents always came from me and /or family.
    @amatsuscribbler Yes. That is why usually they learn maximum through imagination. I found this article interesting in this case.
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/apr/22/why-we-must-cherish-the-role-of-imagination-in-childhood
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, everyone.

I have a question about "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and Vera Drake". Is this one long title of a single movie??

Sorry about the weird quetion.
    edited December 2016
    @takafromtokyo - Two movies. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and Vera Drake. (That's why I prefer the Oxford comma. :)

(If it was one movie, it would be very, very strange.)
    @Lynne
    Thanks for clearing it up! That comma shouldn't be omitted!
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,675 mod
    I have to say that I agree with Imelda Staunton about eating and drinking in the theatre or cinema. I find it very irritating to hear people crunching and rustling in the background. The Barbican Cinema in London doesn't allow food or drink in the auditorium though I think I remember they allowed you to take in the little cartons of Hagan Daas ice cream. I suppose ice cream doesn't make any noise!
    I remember in the olden days when I went to the cinema as a kid @takafromtokyo , there used to always be an interval about half way through the programme when we could go to the loo and buy ice cream from someone who would come into the auditorium selling them. I don't remember whether anyone used to eat anything else back then.

I find it nice to find that usually in Nepal they still follow this tradition of having a break in the middle of the programme. It's much better than having people fumbling around in the dark and trampling on your toes if they have to go to the toilet during the film.
    @mheredge
    Now that you've mentioned it, I vaguely recall that we also had this kind of breaks in the middle of a film in Japan, too.

Where have that tradition gone?

The other downside of allowing people to eat and drink in theaters is that people eat and drink poorly and they leave such a mess behind. It certainly wouldn't be nice to find your booked seat with spilled coke and scattered popcorns.

But I still can't give up on the idea of having those with my daughter while watching a film. Maybe they could offer people like me special auditoriums for some extra fee where people are allowed to eat and drink, then we could be separated. But then, that would require a huge cinema complex.
    People shouldn't leave a mess @takafromtokyo. I think in most British cinemas, most people clean up after themselves fairly well, though having lots of bins to throw away the rubbish is a must. You usually see armies of cleaners go in and clean up after each viewing though.
    What would the most silent snacks be I wonder. I think gummy bears, or wine gums are the best sweeties. They aren't crunchy, and they aren't wrapped in paper, which means that as long as you are careful when you put your hand in the bag, they don't rustle.
    I'm sure they could come up with a silent bag for them @Lynne.
This discussion has been closed.