Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

News Round Up 222

pridepocpridepoc Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
edited November 2016 in Archived News 2017
Post edited by amatsuscribbler on
Tagged:

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,389 mod
    edited November 2016
    “Some surnames have origins that are occupational - obvious examples are Smith and Baker; less obvious ones are Beadle, Rutter, and Baxter. Other names can be linked to a place, for example Hill or Green, which relates to a village green.”

Cooper is a good one too - someone who makes barrels. I wonder what Hand means? Probably a crafts-person.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,072 mod
    Lately I was in a retail shop for household stuff and I had been interested in a cooper pan.

I asked the sales assistant why has got the inner part of the pan another material than the out side of it and he told me, because cooper is doxic for human body. Isnˋt it strange.

Iˋd better buy another kind of pan, because Iˋd spend the rest of my life on polishing cooper.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,462 mod
    Just as long as you don't get one made from aluminium @Hermine .This is also toxic. I didn't realise copper could be harmful though.
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 2,213 Teacher
    It's a very fine balance though. The body needs copper but its role in homeostasis is a finely tuned thing.
    Would like to enlarge upon this @amatsuscribbler? I'm totally ignorant on the subject.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,050 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I am finding out a connection of 'white' poppies with remembrance day!

A report in The Guardian newspaper says that white poppies, worn as a symbol of peace on remembrance day, sold in record numbers this year.

More than 110,000 were sold by shops and cafes, and ordered online across the country, in the run-up to November 11.
    How much is the fine?

Here's a statistic you may not be aware of – Barnsley in South Yorkshire is top in a league of places which crack down on dog fouling.

The Daily Express says that the town received 624 reports of dog fouling last year and issued a total of 359 fines.

Princess Diana and Jemima Khan both are still famous in Pakistan. The way these ladies embraced Pakistani culture, Pakistanis embraced them back with some good memories.

It seems that Princess Diana is still very much in the public mind. An article in The Guardian says that an exhibition to celebrate the Princess's fashion style will open on the 20th anniversary of the death on February 24 next year.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
    @kindgnice
    I've finally reached this place thanks to your help.
    I've created my account on speaker.com, but I can't figure out how to record my reading with speaker.com.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me out.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,621 mod
    Have you tried to sign up there? @takafromtokyo
    @kindgnice
    Wow, I wasn't expecting such a quick response from you. What time is it now in your place?
    I created an account on speaker.com, so, yeah I have aleady signed up speaker.com.
    I saw the word "record" with a picture of a microphone, so I clicked that. Then it asked me to type in the title of my broadcast, so I typed "nru#222" and clicked, and then the screen just went black and didn't display anything.
    I highly suggest to record your voice first via your mobile or any other recording device and save it as MP3 or AVI file. After that, kindly upload that file to Spreaker.com website. @takafromtokyo
    @kindgnice
    Oh, i've never thought of that way before. To tell you the truth, I happen to have a voice recorder, so maybe I should try recording on that first!
    Thanks a lot, my friend!!
    It's a pleasure to help you pal! ;)
    Arigato Gozaimasu!
    Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu! ;)
    @takafromtokyo
    @kindgnice
    Wow, I wasn't expecting such a quick response from you. What time is it now in your place?
    I created an account on speaker.com, so, yeah I have aleady signed up speaker.com.
    I saw the word "record" with a picture of a microphone, so I clicked that. Then it asked me to type in the title of my broadcast, so I typed "nru#222" and clicked, and then the screen just went black and didn't display anything.

Actually, Japan is one-hour ahead of our timezone, so I guess it's around 00:28 there now in Japan. Here in the Philippines, it's 23:29. :)
    @kindgnice
    Kochirakoso arigatou gozaimasu!
    Korekaramo yoroshiku onegai shimasu.

I appreciate all of your kind support!!
    It's an honor to help you buddy. Hope to hear your voice recordings soon too! :) @takafromtokyo
    @kindgnice
    Oh, so you're in the Philippines now. The new president of yours is super high profile. We've suddenly come to hear a lot of his news in Japan. Now, Trump is president-elect. We have Putin in Russia. I hope those leaders will be able to get along in the next few years.
    Yes, you're right Taka. :)
    They're both fond of saying bad words. :joy:
    I don't know what will happen next, but I hope everything will be alright in the succeeding years. @takafromtokyo
    @kindgnice
    You know what? I've been struggling to make a fine recording ever since we last talked. I've been stumbling, stumbling, stumbling, and stumbling. Never have been able to make it to the end. I don't think I can have time to sleep tonight. I'm getting a little tired and frustrated. haha
    I've been reading nru#222 for more than two straight hours. It's 3:30 a.m. and now my head has started spinning. I'm stumbling more compared to an hour ago. I need to quit soon.
    @kindgnice
    You know what? I've been struggling to make a fine recording ever since we last talked. I've been stumbling, stumbling, stumbling, and stumbling. Never have been able to make it to the end. I don't think I can have time to sleep tonight. I'm getting a little tired and frustrated. haha

Sounds cool buddy! You pronounced the words excellently! :)
    I've been reading nru#222 for more than two straight hours. It's 3:30 a.m. and now my head has started spinning. I'm stumbling more compared to an hour ago. I need to quit soon.

Hope you had your complete rest after your first news recording. ;)
    @kindgnice
    I slept in till almost noon today as a result.
    I'm thinking of adding recordings, not necessarily the NRU. I've been reading "The Little Prince" this year. That has become my year's work now. I want to add them on my page. I'd appreciate any feedbacks and advice, so could you visit my page when they're ready?
    Sure buddy! Please feel free to ping me anytime once you create your topic about "The Little Prince". @takafromtokyo
    edited November 2016
    Bubbly wrote: »
    The Isle of Skye is so beautiful! <3
    Apparently the Isle of Skye in Scotland has been voted as the most desirable place to live in Britain.

The Independent outlines a survey by estate agents Rightmove which put the island ahead of Woolacombe in Devon.

I'm skeptical @Bubbly. It might be very beautiful, but I can think of many factors that would make it wonderful to visit for a short time, but hard to live there all the time.
    @mheredge why hard to live there? Lack of facilities?
    Transport would be a major problem @Bubbly. As it's an island, you would have to get a boat or fly and since the weather is bad a lot of the time, this might be difficult. Then as it is a small place, you wouldn't have much choice of places for going out: restaurants, cinemas, and other facilities. Similarly I can imagine that there wouldn't be a lot of choice for schools, healthcare and so on.
    @mheredge it means that it is not a developed area for the tourists. I don't know why the UK government focus on the countryside as they might earn a lot of money from tourism if they focus on some genuine issues.
This discussion has been closed.