Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Selfie/selfly/self-free! :)

Comments

• takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge
    I see. Almost all of my colleagues and my clients use FB. I was curious what they were talking about on it. I heard it on TV that FB actually had a great impact in overthrowing the Egyptian government at the time.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,074 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to take a selfie with a shark! :)

• Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bubbly You remind me that there's a girl in Japan studying sharks in a college. She said she loved sharks so much that she wanted to be bitten by a shark. She explained it late that she would feel happiness if she died in a shark on an interview.
    @Shiny03 I don't have this dangerous plan. ;) I want to see the friendly side of a shark. @Xanthippe told me once that a shark is friendly only if you take a selfie with it. :p
    edited January 12
    So, do you want to prove she was right? @Bubbly
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭
    @Shiny03
    For some people, Facebook accounts are their true existence. They have their bodies to do the activities to feed their accounts with.
    @Bubbly
    The girl is looking at the camera but it looks like the shark is more interested in the girl.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,747 mod
    mheredge said:

Camera all usually have self-timers, so I suppose it's only to be expected the mobile phones nowadays will have this too. I suppose people have been taking selfies for a long time if you take this into account.

I struggle to pose for pictures that use a timer, because I can't hold myself still for that long, and I usually blink just before the photo is taken!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,130 mod
    Hahaha! That's so true for so many people @Shiny03. It depends on your friends to a large extent but I'm afraid I sometimes do get a bit boring about food and can't help myself posting pictures of things to eat.
    Do you think @Xanthippe is wrong this time?
    :D
    Shiny03 said:

So, do you want to prove she was right? @Bubbly

• XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, @Shiny03, I think @Bubbly meant she should take a selfie with me. ;)
    I don't take selfies.
    I must confess, I don't even know how to use smartphone cameras. I'm so dumb when it comes to tech gadgets to begin with. Now those smartphone camera technologies have advanced so much, I have no chance of catching up. It always makes me panic when the camera on my smartphone starts up accidentally. Sometimes it takes a couple of minutes just to figure out how to turn it off.
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭
    @takafromtokyo
    You are like my mother in her seventies!
    @Yellowtail
    Oh, now I know at least I have someone in company
    @takafromtokyo Don't worry. You are not alone. I also don't much about gadgets and apps. But, recently I am using my mobile for capturing some great moments (not selfies) so that I can share them on G+.
    Xanthippe said:

Well, @Shiny03, I think @Bubbly meant she should take a selfie with me. ;)

haha, @Bubbly, what do you say? Do you agree with her?
    @Shiny03 I agree with her in any case because I know @Xanthippe is not less than a 'literary' shark. ;)
    Okay, don't forget to share the selfie with me next time when you take it. @Bubbly :smile:
    @Shiny03 selfies with whom? With a shark or with @Xanthippe ? :)
    I've been trying to conserve my camera's battery so I've been using my tablet to take more photos than I normally would. They look okay on the tablet but it remains to be seen how good they'll look when I upload them to my laptop next week. There are no selfies, I can swear to you.
    edited January 13
    Okay, I believe you, but how to you manage those photos? I mean, what are you going to do with those pictures? I don't mind to have one with you in it. :mrgreen: @mheredge

Both of them @Bubbly :wink:
    I will probably put some on Facebook @Shiny03. My laptop is sitting in Ho Chi Minh City and I don't go there till next Wednesday. I'm travelling light (so light, I forgot my camera battery charger in the laptop bag).
    Do you have any spare battery? I think it's necessary, especially when you travel. @mheredge
    I should get one @Shiny03. I have for my other cameras. This camera was one I bought last year in Colombia because I'd brought the wrong camera battery charger by mistake. I don't seem to have much luck with my camera batteries.
    What do you think about this selfie?

I heard one of my acquaintances who liked to take photos said it was important to prepare at least 2 spares of batteries. I think it makes sense, because you can't charge them from time to time, or in any place. @mheredge
    People are getting bored in selfie, so they try to play it, frame it. @Bubbly
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tppm.animal.face.photo
    This is an old idea, where you stick your head through the hole to have a photo taken of you in a fancy costume.
    edited January 15
    Okay, human never evolve in some ways, up to its old tricks all the time? :mrgreen: @mheredge