Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Selfie/selfly/self-free! :)

Comments

• takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge
    I see. Almost all of my colleagues and my clients use FB. I was curious what they were talking about on it. I heard it on TV that FB actually had a great impact in overthrowing the Egyptian government at the time.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,040 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to take a selfie with a shark! :)

• Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bubbly You remind me that there's a girl in Japan studying sharks in a college. She said she loved sharks so much that she wanted to be bitten by a shark. She explained it late that she would feel happiness if she died in a shark on an interview.
    @Shiny03 I don't have this dangerous plan. ;) I want to see the friendly side of a shark. @Xanthippe told me once that a shark is friendly only if you take a selfie with it. :p
    edited January 12
    So, do you want to prove she was right? @Bubbly
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 698 ✭✭✭
    @Shiny03
    For some people, Facebook accounts are their true existence. They have their bodies to do the activities to feed their accounts with.
    @Bubbly
    The girl is looking at the camera but it looks like the shark is more interested in the girl.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,907 mod
    mheredge said:

Camera all usually have self-timers, so I suppose it's only to be expected the mobile phones nowadays will have this too. I suppose people have been taking selfies for a long time if you take this into account.

I struggle to pose for pictures that use a timer, because I can't hold myself still for that long, and I usually blink just before the photo is taken!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,119 mod
    Hahaha! That's so true for so many people @Shiny03. It depends on your friends to a large extent but I'm afraid I sometimes do get a bit boring about food and can't help myself posting pictures of things to eat.
    Do you think @Xanthippe is wrong this time?
    :D
    Shiny03 said:

So, do you want to prove she was right? @Bubbly

• XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, @Shiny03, I think @Bubbly meant she should take a selfie with me. ;)
    I don't take selfies.
    I must confess, I don't even know how to use smartphone cameras. I'm so dumb when it comes to tech gadgets to begin with. Now those smartphone camera technologies have advanced so much, I have no chance of catching up. It always makes me panic when the camera on my smartphone starts up accidentally. Sometimes it takes a couple of minutes just to figure out how to turn it off.
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 698 ✭✭✭
    @takafromtokyo
    You are like my mother in her seventies!
    @Yellowtail
    Oh, now I know at least I have someone in company
    @takafromtokyo Don't worry. You are not alone. I also don't much about gadgets and apps. But, recently I am using my mobile for capturing some great moments (not selfies) so that I can share them on G+.
    Xanthippe said:

Well, @Shiny03, I think @Bubbly meant she should take a selfie with me. ;)

haha, @Bubbly, what do you say? Do you agree with her?
    @Shiny03 I agree with her in any case because I know @Xanthippe is not less than a 'literary' shark. ;)
    Okay, don't forget to share the selfie with me next time when you take it. @Bubbly :smile:
    @Shiny03 selfies with whom? With a shark or with @Xanthippe ? :)
    I've been trying to conserve my camera's battery so I've been using my tablet to take more photos than I normally would. They look okay on the tablet but it remains to be seen how good they'll look when I upload them to my laptop next week. There are no selfies, I can swear to you.
    edited January 13
    Okay, I believe you, but how to you manage those photos? I mean, what are you going to do with those pictures? I don't mind to have one with you in it. :mrgreen: @mheredge

Both of them @Bubbly :wink:
    I will probably put some on Facebook @Shiny03. My laptop is sitting in Ho Chi Minh City and I don't go there till next Wednesday. I'm travelling light (so light, I forgot my camera battery charger in the laptop bag).
    Do you have any spare battery? I think it's necessary, especially when you travel. @mheredge
    I should get one @Shiny03. I have for my other cameras. This camera was one I bought last year in Colombia because I'd brought the wrong camera battery charger by mistake. I don't seem to have much luck with my camera batteries.
    What do you think about this selfie?

I heard one of my acquaintances who liked to take photos said it was important to prepare at least 2 spares of batteries. I think it makes sense, because you can't charge them from time to time, or in any place. @mheredge
    People are getting bored in selfie, so they try to play it, frame it. @Bubbly
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tppm.animal.face.photo
    This is an old idea, where you stick your head through the hole to have a photo taken of you in a fancy costume.
    edited January 15
    Okay, human never evolve in some ways, up to its old tricks all the time? :mrgreen: @mheredge