Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Selfie/selfly/self-free! :)

Comments

• takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
    @Shiny03
    Oh, the way you come across so many people taking selfies so many times, you might be somewhere in their selfies all the time. Have you checked other people's facebooks? You might be surprised to find yourself in the backgrounds of many of their selfies!

@mheredge
    What else could be at the bottom of your bag? I'm now guessing that you might find a dinosaur bone there.
    @mohit_singh
    Are you a selfie lover?
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,311 mod
    I agree with you @Shiny03. I was really shocked at how it looked like almost everyone was taking selfies at the temples I visited the other week. They all seemed more preoccupied with getting a shot of themselves there rather than looking at the place for what it is - a place of worship, a place to be respected or somewhere to be admired for its beauty.
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Come on. You never see bunch of them in the street?! @takafromtokyo Find me where I am.

@mheredge You know me better.
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭
    @takafromtokyo asked:
    @mohit_singh
    Are you a selfie lover?

No, I am not but in some occasions I do take selfies.just for good memories.
    @mheredge
    It is convenient to do many things with single device than to use specific device for specific things.
    Nowadays,Smartphones are just a pinnacle device for photos and videos and many more things. Nowadays some media reporter does his reporting with mobile phone.Director are making there films using iPhone.
    Technology is so incredible in today's time.
    Old is gold in some cases but new may me more convenient with old experience.
  • abhishekb9099abhishekb9099 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    @mohit_singh Agree with you new devices seems to be convenient but I must say old is gold. Because convenience of the new device reduces Human efforts and that is the thing which reduces competition between humans and increases competition between Machines. So I think here we are going on a wrong path because now people for focusing on technology, not on themselves.

I think it's better if I relate it by giving an example.
    Suppose I am a photographer so I will look for the best and expensive camera which helps me to take photos with proper stability so now I am going to use someone's ability who created it who is the maker of that camera.
    And I think in past it was not like that we have to hold the camera in our own hand rather than using a tripod so that reduces human effort nowadays.
    If you look at iPhone it always gives better results from wherever you click but I think real selfie clicker is that person who doesn't have iPhone but still beats the quality of iPhone camera by using photography skill rather than technology skills.
    Though skills are required in iPhone also I can't deny but less use of skills we can say like that we are not using actual Manual Photographic skills. Everything is automated nowadays.
    I suppose that mobile phones have revolutionised the who idea about photography @abhishekb9099. People who never dreamed of having photos of themselves now can, relatively easily. Of course smart phones that can take reasonable pictures don't necessarily come cheap though.

But I agree with @abhishekb9099's point @mohit_singh. With a proper camera (not necessarily the most expensive either), the photographer is sure to be paying a lot more attention to getting a good result. I still take photos like I have a film in the camera and every shot matters (I don't usually have to delete many unsatisfactory shots).

But it all depends what you want to take pictures for. If it's just a happy snappy to remind you of something, then you probably don't need a camera.
    @mheredge @abhishekb9099
    I am not a photographer and I don't know much about their thinking towards mobile camera and and genuine costly camera.They are expert on their works and I come to know that there are some courses in photography as well.

Recently,I came across one photographer who is a passout from our college and he told us several nuances of photography.I am not sure about the rules and about the perfect shot as they call it.

But I do know if technology is helping us for better results with less efforts.we should go for it.
    35 Mobile Photography Tips That'll Help You Take - 500px ISO
    https://iso.500px.com/35-mobile-photography-tips-thatll-help-you-take-incredible-smartphone-shots/
    · Promo and Giveaway ALERT! ...
    · Be Ready!
    · Don't think twice, take pictures whenever you want and of whatever you wish!
    · Light is the answer!
    · Learn the technical peculiarities of your phone camera.
    · Don't use zoom!
    · Select and retouch!

Here is some tips I got from Google. ;)
  • abhishekb9099abhishekb9099 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭✭
    If technology is helping then definitely there is no problem but when everything depends upon technology then its not good. @mohit_singh
    Because if all the results are same who is professional photographer or normal photographer then I guess it doesn't make any sense.
    I don't rely on technology so much when I take photos @abhishekb9099 and @mohit_singh. For me it's all in the composition of the picture. So even with a very simple Kodak instamatic (the simplest cheapest camera that was available between 1963-1988), it should be possible to take great shots.

As I cut my teeth on this, and then later an SLR that had no light meter nor any fancy zoom lens, I have always been more interested in getting good shots without the use of gadgetry.

• BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,897 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I understand your point @abhishekb9099
    @mheredge
    The difference between ordinary and extraordinary are always there but I have seen some photos which looks as simple that it has nothing interesting to call it a perfect shot.But some renowned photographer call it miracle or best shot.
    I have seen some collection of street photography.the photos which looks excellent to us the guy told us that it is not that much important to him.and the picture that has nothing we could get looks excellent to him.

When one of my friend asked him that why are you calling it a perfect shot? It has nothing that looks fascinating.

He simply replied that for knowing that you have to understand the art of photography. :(
    Do you know the art of photography ?@abhishekb9099
    @abhishekb9099
    Artist are always confusing ? Or only this photographer is confusing.?
    He leaves us in dilemma and confusion.
    And yes, he showed old photos of 80s and 90s.
    Nowadays people take a bunch of selfies everyday. What do they do with all those photos? Do they just delete and add? Do they store them somewhere?
    I have that phone exactly the same held by that nanny, except it's a water bottle. @Bubbly :smiley:
    @abhishekb9099 and @mohit_singh take a look at some of these shots by Ansel Adams. This is what I mean by amazing photography.

https://www.artsy.net/artist/ansel-adams
    Breath taking...This is the art as the painting.
    @Shiny03 Look at this selfie. Isn't it cute!? :)

Nice @Bubbly ! Have a look at mine. :lol:

Oooh I love the one of the goats @Shiny03. Do you have the url link for this picture? I'd love to send it to a friend who like me, loves goats.
    Yes, sure. Here you are @mheredge. :smile: See the link below:
    https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/378/31059296004_d8ec25cb7d_o.png
  • NazerkeNazerke Posts: 80 ✭✭
    My sister, she is like take a selfie. sometimes I think she's only doing that take the selfie. Well, from what I can see, it's an addiction.
    I'm curious. Do selfie lovers also like to be taken their pictures by someone else?
    Thanks @Shiny03! I sent it to my friend. I know she'll love it.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,545 mod

I'm curious. Do selfie lovers also like to be taken their pictures by someone else?

I guess they'll(Selfie lovers) like it if the other person take a better shot of them without even shaking. :)
    @kindgnice
    Without shaking! That's what makes taking pictures by smartphones difficult. I remember once someone asked me to take a picture of her on her smartphone. I couldn't even catch her in the frame because I seemed to move the phone each time I pressed the button! I can't get rid of that memory. I still remember how awkward it became when I checked out the picture with her.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,545 mod
    Yes buddy. At some point, other selfie lovers use tripods or monopods to make their lives easier. :) @takafromtokyo
    I surely take it as an addiction if people start giving you some positive response on your selfies especially on social media. LOL
    Nazerke said:

My sister, she is like take a selfie. sometimes I think she's only doing that take the selfie. Well, from what I can see, it's an addiction.