Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Do you have a secret box of jewels?

sirinsirin Posts: 39 ✭✭
edited November 2016 in Hobbies and Sport
In my childhood i loved collecting important things for me. One time it was Kinder-eggs, chocolate figures, sticker,
dresses and shoes for dolls, chestnuts, acorns, colored small glass beads with leaf inside as called clickers.
When i grow up i put on the box my earrings,chain, beads,bracelets...
What about you?
P.s.: the glass balls also called marbles
pit.dirty.ru/dirty/1/2011/11/03/71-051439-417a7df62c068ed3d3772d13089b04b9.jpg
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/59/WestAfricanMarbles.jpg/800px-WestAfricanMarbles.jpg

-------------------------

As a child loved collecting things that were important to me. One time it was Kinder-eggs, another time chocolate figures, then stickers, dresses and shoes for dolls, chestnuts, acorns, and colored small glass balls called clickers.

When I grew up, I put all my earrings, chains, beads , bracelets etc. in a box.

What about you?
P.S. the glass balls are also called marbles.

!Note - beads are usually used in decorating clothing, or wearing as jewellery.
Post edited by Lynne on

Answers

• mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,244 mod
    I still do it sometimes, but I used to always pick up shells or little stones as souvenirs of places I'd been to.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,061 mod
    I have several little boxes with my childhood obsessions in them, my coin collection, and lots of beads, from when I tried my hand at making jewellery. I also have quite a few of my stuffed toys still, I don't have the heart to throw them away. I remember I played with marbles, but I can't remember what happened to my marble collection.
  • sirinsirin Posts: 39 ✭✭
    @Lynne ! i so happy that you have your valuables collection , too! I'm not lonely))
    Thank you for your correction! I will learning to think and write better over time!
    @mheredge , in my collection i have similar things , too! Thank you for your answer!
    @Iryna i know one my friend who collect his post stamps. His collection for my point is impressive!
    I still have a Blue Peter badge from when I entered drawing competition a long, long, long time ago @Lynne! This seems to always turn up in whatever little trinket box that I have sitting usually on my dressing table. I don't know how it has survived so long.
  • IrynaIryna Posts: 21 ✭✭
    My husband collect rare items (antiques). Its vintage camera, phone, ancient suitcase, so on... He hasn't got yet a lot of these things, but sometimes I have a headache about it ))
    I have a few little wooden boxes but I don't generally keep any treasure in them as I'm always afraid I'll forget where I've put them!
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭
    I have one box full of marbles.I collected it from my childhood game of marbles.
    It is still a treasured possession @mohit_singh?
    edited November 2016
    @mheredge
    Yes,it is as it remind me of my childhood friends.we are not in same place anymore.his father got a transfer.actually my all childhood friend are not with me.
    We are connected through social media on Facebook. But you know the sad part we never talk to each other.As because we all are fully involved in our own things.
    But sometime I miss those golden days of childhood,my friends and the birthday parties and everything.
    It's hard to keep in touch when you move away @mohit_singh. Often you grow apart and don't have much in common to talk about too.
    @mheredge
    Yes,a lot of friend who are financially not well don't have these platform at that time so I don't have there contacts on any platform.
    This is unfortunate.
    the old childhood friend who are in contact gives me a great feeling.because i know they all are my friend, real friend.
    I know we all changed with time but we all are connected. We all are together. That's the feeling. A great feeling.
    I lost contact with a lot of my university friends @mohit_singh as when we graduated it was just before the internet became popular like now. And even though I'm now in contact with a lot of schoolfriends via Facebook, this has only been a fairly recent phenomena, greatly helped by networking and the fact that most have not moved very far from where we all grew up. My university friends however, mostly scattered far and wide after we graduated from Manchester, which was not our home town.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,487 mod
    I always did when I was younger, but I don't know where my box of treasures is now, as it seems to have been lost at some point over the years, which is a bit of a shame!
    My problem is that I tend to have too many boxes of treasures. But the most useful boxes contain things like sewing kits, tools, electronic bits and first aid materials!
  • icha_15icha_15 Posts: 122 ✭✭
    I have boxes of jewel but without the secret :D . The small one is filled by rings, bracelets, and necklaces (I used to wear them in occasionally events, in daily I don't use them all). The big one is containing pins for hijab's accessories. Both of them are no secret hidden.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,487 mod
    mheredge said:

My problem is that I tend to have too many boxes of treasures. But the most useful boxes contain things like sewing kits, tools, electronic bits and first aid materials!

I think it's good to have things like that to hand, as you never know when you're really going to need something!
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands @mheredge
    Yes, these boxes might come in hady some day. And the boxes themselves are sometimes really cute. My wife gathers so many boxes but we don't have so many things to put in. So, we end up with numerous empty boxes. My daughters have picked up the habit, too. Whenever a cute little box appears, they always get into fight to decide who's going to get the box, but no matter who gets the box, it stays empty in most cases.
    My uncle used to collect old coin.so we have still different kind of coin .they are in different safe and of different metal.
    I have a beautiful Nepali wooden box I was given as a birthday present that I will be taking back to France with me in the spring. @mohit_singh you have just given me a good idea of what I can put inside it as I always have lots of spare coins from my travels.