Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Postcard Game #3 – An odd railway station – What make it special? What's its name?

ZomZom ShadokPosts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
Hello there,

Some of you asked me to post some photos, so I've decided to make this postcard a photo riddle.

Below are 3 photos of a railway station I passed through recently. There are not anymore regular trains going through these tracks, but the station is still there for historical purposes. Looking at the photos, could you tell me what make this railway station peculiar? (3 reasons) What's the name of this station?

Good luck! ^-^

LEO_Postcard3_01

LEO_Postcard3_02

LEO_Postcard3_03
It befits a man to be merry and glad
Until the day of his death.
Tagged:

Comments

• kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,669 mod
    edited November 2016
    I noticed the slant lines/paints from each picture which look peculiar to me.
    (Colors blue, purple, red and white)
    :lol:

Name:Wallangarra railway station ??
    ;)

According to my research:

State border painted on the platform, red is Queensland, white is New South Wales

There are two different awnings, the two state colonies of NSW and QLD could not agree on the design which stayed consistent to the designs of other stations of the era

People can literally/technically stand in two states (one leg in each)

qld-and-nsw-border.JPG

Because of the break-of-gauge, the station was built with one island platform with one building, with the western occupied by the narrow gauge line from Queensland and the eastern side by the standard gauge line from New South Wales
    Post edited by kindgnice on
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job @kindgnice. I like your guess very much, but I'll consider it incomplete.

Two of the reasons you mentionned (#1 & 3 ) that make this railway station special are too similar to my liking; they are both related to the QLD/NSW state border that splits the station. If you look closely at one the photos, you should come up with another one. ^-^
    I'm not sure if my next guess is correct.
    With respect to NSW and QLD border, I've noticed that the rail gauge for Queensland has narrow railway. On the flip side, the railway for New South Wales has a wider rail gauge.

P.S. At this point, I'm still thinking for other hints. Hahaha
    @Zom
    edited November 2016
    And, according to my next research:

One of the most attractions is that its appearance has similarities to Serviceton, Victoria railways.
    Yehey! I'm very happy that I won the 3rd Postcard game prepared by my best friend @Zom. :)

My pal, I will send the details via private message. Yippee!!!
    By all means, I totally learned a lot by searching about this station and it really helped a lot knowing its history. I really appreciate this game wholeheartedly. :)
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I missed the game. :fearful:
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 773 Teacher
    I missed it too, @Shiny03 ! Actually, I think most people did...

It´s probably a good thing they don´t use this station anymore - you would never be sure if you had the right time for when the train was leaving or arriving, because of the different time zones :D

PS. Go Maroons!
    Let's wait for @Zom's 4th Postcard game. ;)
    @NatashaT @Shiny03
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,581 mod
    Well done @kindgnice.

@Zom let me know when the next game goes up in a private message and I will put it in the announcements.
    :smile:
    @Lynne, that's a brilliant idea. I've posted to her activity timeline as well so that other LEO members can all see her game. Thank you. :)
    @Shiny03, @kindgnice, @NatashaT, @Lynne, @nidhii, @rupsil, @Bubbly, @mheredge

Sorry guys, my mistake not notifying when a new game is on. I'll now at least notify the previous postcard players when I start a new game as well as PM Lynne to put in the announcement.

FYI Postcard #4 should be on sometime next weekend. :smiley:

• mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭✭
    This game is quite tough for me because I don't know much about the world. But I guess I will learn a lot from these games.
  • nidhiinidhii Posts: 819 ✭✭✭✭
    @Zom No worries.I will try for next game.I want to win a postcard from you and hope to see you in India.
    No @nidhii she is too far from India.she is not even in Asia.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    @Zom We are waiting for the next announcement. :)

Good morning/afternoon/evening passengers. This is the pre-boarding announcement for flight 111A to SOMEWHERE. We are now inviting those passengers with no internet issues, and any passengers requiring special assistance, to begin boarding with ZOM at this time. Please have your boarding pass and identification ready. Regular boarding will begin in approximately any time in this week. Thank you.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @nidhii and via Wahga border, don't forget to go to Pakistan. :)

@kindgnice Well done. :)
    Let's go ! Announcement is already made! Hurry up guys!
    @mohit_singh Yes @zom is very far from India but I wish to see @zom in India so we can meet her in flesh.
    @Bubbly Always want to meet you via wahga border.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,063 mod
    You guys are making me long for India. I will be spending a night at Delhi airport on the 21st of January, but other than that, I doubt I can fit in anything before this time next year when I'm thinking about taking the train from the very southern tip of India to Assam, then heading down into Bangladesh for a couple of weeks.
    Oohh unfortunately I live in Asansol.its near Kolkata.I wish I could meet you in delhi! But when you come to Assam please pinch me its not far from my place.By the way Darjeeling is also a good place to visit.famous for tea farming.@mheredge
    @mohit_singh, I agree that the game might sound a bit tough to some of you, but keep in mind that's just a game and you also can work as a team to crack it. As a team work, every member of the winning team would receive a postcard via slow mail. ;)

@nidhii, Looking forward to your participation in the next game.

BTW @Bubbly's annoucement is a bit early. You might have to wait in the airport lounge until the weekend. Anyway you'll all be notified when the next game is on.
    Superb @kindgnice .I should take tip from you to how to crack this game.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,063 mod
    I've been many times to Darjeeling @mohit_singh. It's one of my favourite areas of India. I like Calcutta very much too. This morning I was waiting in a queue at Standard Chartered and the man in front was a Nepali from Calcutta whose father had been in the Indian Army. There are many links between Nepal and Darjeeling as it used to be part of Nepal a long time back.
    Thank you @nidhii. I'm pretty sure all of you can nail this game, I was just lucky. :)
    Your prize is on its way @kindgnice. :D
    edited November 2016
    @Zom wrote: »
    Your prize is on its way @kindgnice. :D

Yahooooooooooooo!!! :smiley: Thanks Xebby Zommy. :)

P.S. I've messaged you on Skype as well. ;)