Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for another week, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

The secret to learning vocabulary

edited November 2016 in Words Words Words
I have created an easy way to learn and remember vocabulary. There are nine important things to knowing a word. Can you guess them all?
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• omidsomids Posts: 10 ✭✭
    I think we should visualize the words.
    Also, we should think similar pronunciation words that mean similar in our native language.
    Another view is that we should notice their dictation to move them into our long-term memory.
    Next, REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT.
    Finally, we should use these new words into our writings and speakings.
  • icha_15icha_15 Posts: 122 ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Hi @AnitaLanguageCorner , is it some riddle for us?hehe...Better if you could share what they are and then we can practice as your suggestion. For me remembering vocabulary is not simple. I read more books in English text and I often find the new words that can enrich my vocabulary. But the problem is I often forget them easily. Sometimes I write down the new words to become a sentence. I think it works as well.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,530 mod
    @omids you definitely have the right idea. It helps not to be lazy like me though.
  • askermanaskerman Posts: 12 ✭✭
    i used flashcards for learning new words
    Pictures with words are also effective as it can save in your long term memory
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭✭
    Recently, I came to a conclusion that if you want to learn a new word that you can truly use, you should learn to use it. The first step would be throwing away your word list. Looking back, I figure memorizing words by list hasn't helped me use them in the actual conversations.

Using words is the only practical way to build your vocabulary.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,530 mod
    You're totally right @takafromtokyo. I have tried and failed learning lists of vocabulary because unless u practice using the words, I forget them quickly. It might help for reading a bit, but for speaking I find it doesn't.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge
    Yes, for reading books and articles, working on word lists would help you; no doubt about it. But for speaking, you need to use them. It may sound strange, but wether you use them correctly or not is not as important as using them. Mistakes can be embarrassing but it can create funny moments and helps the word stick to your head easier.