Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for another week, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Which expression is more correct? "The pirate cat" or "the cat pirate"?

edited November 2016 in A Question of English
Are both correct or only one? Maybe I would use something similar to give the name to a company.

Best Answer

Answers

• Paolo12Paolo12 Posts: 15 ✭✭
    I think the first one...the meaning can change If "pirate" is an adjective or a noun. What do you want to say? Can you be more specific? What is your idea, "an illegal cat" or "a cat of the pirates"?
  • IrynaIryna Posts: 21 ✭✭
    :o it seems that "The pirate cat".
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,823 mod
    LOL

It could be that the pirate cat is a cat, but the cat pirate is a pirate who steals cats.

• Thank you all for your answers.

@Paolo12 I am looking for the right expression for a cat that makes an activity (for example a cat that is a pirate or a cat that is a jeweler etc.)
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,539 mod
    What about the pirate's cat? Or am I confusing the matter?
  • mheredge said:

What about the pirate's cat? Or am I confusing the matter?

No, I am not talking about a cat owned by a pirate.
    What I am looking for is the best way to speak of a cat that is a pirate (or a cook, or a stonecutter etc)
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,539 mod
    Pirate Cat with capital letters denotes that's his title @Unnoticed_bypasser.
  • edited November 2016
    I understand, thank you very much to all!
  • Paolo12Paolo12 Posts: 15 ✭✭
    > @Unnoticed_bypasser said:
    > Thank you all for your answers.
    >
    > @Paolo12 I am looking for the right expression for a cat that makes an activity (for example a cat that is a pirate or a cat that is a jeweler etc.)

Ah ok, I think the "pirate cat" is right