Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Aging-Future Trends and Challenges

BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,834 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
One of the biggest factors driving future trends in aging is the aging of baby boomers-the cohort of 78 billion people born between 1946 and 1964. According to a research, these trends are being considered by developed countries in order to avoid future challenges.

Working at 90 and designing for age
Aging "gray tsunami": challenge or opportunity
Could tech really take 20 years off your age?
Trends in Technology Use by Older Adults
The Paradox of Good UX Design for Seniors (I couldn't get this UX design!)

https://www.techenhancedlife.com/graceful-aging-topics/future-aging-trends

There is a news about an 80-Year-Old Model who Reshapes China’s Views on Aging. This news is viral on the social media.

Then, cosmetic industry, science and surgery have diverted the attention of Generation X and Y by introducing anti-aging products and techniques.

What could be the possible future trends & challenging, do you see on aging?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,139 mod
    What a handsome old codger @Bubby!

I never really thought of myself as being a Baby Boomer (just). I certainly have no intention of working at 90 however.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,834 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge You are still very active and that is a great inspiration for many others.
    I had an inspiring friend who was still travelling around the world when he was in his 90s. I'm not sure many people half his age were able to keep up with him @Bubbly.

PS I'm not THAT old yet!
    @mheredge I know that you will be that active in your 90s as well. :)

• YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    The uncle of Japanese emperor passed away at the age of 100 last month. His doctor, who had been take care of him for years, was in deep grief. The doctor is 105, and still works.
    What is the doctor's secret medicine @Yellowtail?
    @mheredge it is really interesting. I think I will focus more on the health than anything else.
    @Yellowtail In China and Japan, the life expectancy is pretty high. It may be due to the diet as well as the climate. What say you? @Shiny03
    In particular @Bubbly, I think the diet in Japan is very healthy. I'm sure that they exist, but I didn't see many overweight Japanese people when I was there. They were mostly enviably slender.
    @mheredge @Bubbly
    www.timefornaturalhealthcare.com/priceless-advices-from-a-103-year-old-japanese-doctor/
    Diet is important of course. But I think that having work, or anything you have to do, is the most important thing to live long. It's all mental.
    @mheredge I believe that a good diet plays an important role in health fitness. One of my aunts has a wrinkle-free face at the age of 55 just because of her diet. She eats nuts and fruits too much.
    @Yellowtail Reference to the link you shared, I don't know how does he manage to live on this simple diet?!

Food is the most important

For breakfast he drank a glass of fruit juice in combination with a tablespoon of olive oil or a glass of milk with a little powdered lentil and a banana. For lunch he ate milk and 2-3 biscuits or if it he was busy, he did not eat anything. Also he tells when he is focused on work he never feels hunger. For dinner he ate fruit, little fish with rice and 90 grams of fat meat two times a week.
  • mpassalampassala Posts: 123 ✭✭
    > @mheredge said:
    > You might find this interesting @Bubbly.
    >
    > p://qz.com/318814/the-ten-most-important-life-lessons-to-master-in-your-30s/

I find the article really terrific. I agree with much of the topics people brought up and i'm truly excited because i feel alot into it. I'm already following much of the suggestions people made.
    @Bubbly Though the article writes 'Food is the most important', I don't think he cares much about what he eats. The only thing he emphasize on diet is not being overweight. In other words, not eating too much is more important than eating healty foods.
    And in my opinion, the worst thing for your health, worse than bad diet, lack of exercise, even smoking or alcohol, is stress. And working vigorously is sometimes more stress-free than having much free time. Especially when you take pleasure in your work. It's just my opinion, but he seems the same way.
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭✭
    How to keep slim and stay healthy? :mrgreen:

@Yellowtail there are people who don't care about the type of food they eat. Initially, their body doesn't react but with the passage of time, they face a lot of health issues. But, we can't get rid of our eating habits easily especially when we are living with a big family.
    edited November 2016
    @mpassala are you conscious about your diet!?
    mpassala said:

> @mheredge said:

> You might find this interesting @Bubbly.

>

> p://qz.com/318814/the-ten-most-important-life-lessons-to-master-in-your-30s/

I find the article really terrific. I agree with much of the topics people brought up and i'm truly excited because i feel alot into it. I'm already following much of the suggestions people made.

@mheredge they also drink lukewarm water and green tea that could be another reason.
    mheredge said:

In particular @Bubbly, I think the diet in Japan is very healthy. I'm sure that they exist, but I didn't see many overweight Japanese people when I was there. They were mostly enviably slender.

• mpassalampassala Posts: 123 ✭✭
    @mheredge maybe my diet is not my best point of strenght. But i try to be accurate and not exaggerate with meat, alcohol and sweets and i'm adding more and more fish and vegetables to my diet.
    The truth is that i love good food and even if i try to limit myself, temptation often brings me to the greedy part of the table :blush:
    >@Yellowtail there are people who don't care about the type of food they eat. Initially, their body doesn't react but with the passage of time, they face a lot of health issues. But, we can't get rid of our eating habits easily especially when we are living with a big family.

@Bubbly
    I agree with you on that point. I have been told that the effect of today's diet emerges in 10 or 20 years. By the way, you reminded me of my parents. My father often told my mother to reduce the amount of meals, but she did not follow. Probaby she wanted to make it enough for her children to be full. Though my father's intention seemed to be not from the health issues but his principal of frugality.
    @mpassala I am in the favour of balanced diet which include natural food more than processed one.
    @Yellowtail simply reducing the amount of meal may not work if it doesn't fulfill the requirement of daily calories.
    Bubbly said:

@mheredge I believe that a good diet plays an important role in health fitness. One of my aunts has a wrinkle-free face at the age of 55 just because of her diet. She eats nuts and fruits too much.

Do you mean she eats more fruit and and nuts than she should @Bubbly. Do you really mean that she eats a lot of nuts and fruits, or so much nuts and fruits?
    edited November 2016
    @mheredge Maybe a lot of nuts and fruits.fruit. :)
    Post edited by Bubbly on
    Me too, I eat a lot of fruit and nuts @Bubbly. Fruit can be used as an uncountable noun when it refers to fruit in general.
    @mheredge Yes I remember @Lynne shared it once in a session. Let me correct my sentence. :)
  • Paolo12Paolo12 Posts: 15 ✭✭
    78 billion of people? It seems to me too much...