Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

GOV.UK: Artificial intelligence: an overview for policy-makers

BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
Do they still need AI after Brexit!?

Artificial intelligence: opportunities and implications for the future of decision-making

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/artificial-intelligence-an-overview-for-policy-makers

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,940 mod
    Any I would be nice. ;)
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,885 mod
    Certainly A I might be far better than the human variety.
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Teacher Posts: 2,113 mod
    Well it couldn't be worse!
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge but it is created and controlled by human beings.
    That's true @Bubbly.
  • zapppsrzapppsr Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    A.I is an interesting topic, specially when it comes to whether the robots will dominate us or not. Have you seen the new Google site where you teach Google A.I. to guess handwritten drawings?
    https://quickdraw.withgoogle.com
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    @zapppsr Playing at that site has made me sure that the robots will do dominate us in the near future...
    edited November 2016
    It reminds me of some of the issues that were raised in the movie 'Her' where the operating system took on a personality of her own.
    Actually how can you tell that I am not a robot? Because my English skills are not far from the robots'! :D
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a good question @Yellowtail
    Actually we all have given a captcha test.isn't it?
    And I don't know that how it differentiate between human and robot?

I watch a TV series THE100 which is really fascinating. I hope that, that kind of AI chips are also available in real life that is been shown in the series.we can go to City of light where we don't have pain.I love the concept of city of light.
    edited November 2016
    @mohit_singh Seeing the site that @zapppsr introduced, I'm sure captcha system will be useless in the future sooner or later. Even now some captcha images are getting more intricate, because of the progress of AI, I think.
    I have never watched THE 100, but skimming the information, it seems quite a 'human beings vs AI' story. I feel horrible!
    Some captcha images are so hard to decipher that it takes several goes before I get it right.
    Yes,for booking ticket online using IRCTC site .I have the same experience . sometime its difficult to write the exact captcha. @mheredge
    If everything is in the 'cloud' of AI, then what will we do?! :)

Google, Facebook, and Microsoft Are Remaking Themselves Around AI

https://www.wired.com/2016/11/google-facebook-microsoft-remaking-around-ai/?mbid=social_twitter
    The way human intelligence is going these days, I think I have a bit more faith that AI is the way to go @Bubbly.
  • Paolo12Paolo12 Posts: 15 ✭✭
    I don't know the Nigel F. point of view and his policy but I think humans are so much attracted by new limits and new possibilities that they won't be able to resist to AI as they couldn't resist to Trump election... :smiley:
    @Paolo12 this indicates our curiosity as well as dependence on technology.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,940 mod
    I have felt the need of some IA this week.
    Does IA means the general machine which needs instructions from Human?
    Because I am unable to understand it completely! @Bubbly di @Lynne
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭✭
    Technology advances. I suppose there comes a time that people would try to restrict to what degrees A.I. make decisions, but there's no stopping the advancement of technology itself, so it's unavoidable that A.I. starts deciding things on its own anyway.

The problem is humans don't really know what AI's going to think of humans.
    One thing I concern about with AI is the possibility of perfect machine translation. If it realized in the future, would people still learn foreign languages as we do?
    I thought that there were already devices to translate as you speak or something like, so you wouldn't even have to bother learning other languages. That said, you would lose all the fun of things like the Forum @Yellowtail!
    @mheredge Current machine translation is far from perfect.That's why many people still have to learn foreign languages by themselves. But as you said, some people who enjoy learning languages would keep doing that, even if perfect machine translation realized. And yeah, I'm one of them!
    I find it quite amusing when I set my phone to 'hands free' for incoming messages and the way names of my friends are pronounced @Yellowtail. The mechanical voice doesn't seem to be able to cope well with names that aren't English.
    edited December 2016
    @mohit_singh This is what Wikipedia says about AI:-
    Artificial intelligence (AI) is intelligence exhibited by machines. In computer science, an ideal "intelligent" machine is a flexible rational agent that perceives its environment and takes actions that maximize its chance of success at some goal. Colloquially, the term "artificial intelligence" is applied when a machine mimics "cognitive" functions that humans associate with other human minds, such as "learning" and "problem solving". As machines become increasingly capable, mental facilities once thought to require intelligence are removed from the definition. For example, optical character recognition is no longer perceived as an exemplar of "artificial intelligence", having become a routine technology. Capabilities currently classified as AI include successfully understanding human speech, competing at a high level in strategic game systems (such as Chess and Go, self-driving cars, and interpreting complex data. Some people also consider AI a danger to humanity if it progresses unabatedly. AI research is divided into subfields that focus on specific problems or on specific approaches or on the use of a particular tool or towards satisfying particular applications.

You can read more about it here in the link:-
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_intelligence

Does IA means the general machine which needs instructions from Human?

Because I am unable to understand it completely! @Bubbly di @Lynne

My Samsung tablet has an element of AI I suppose @Bubbly, in that it can remember strings of text that I commonly use. This can be immensely useful when I have to write a standard response to enquiries I receive all the time about volunteering. I just have to keep tapping the words that show on the predictive text bar and hey presto, my email is done for me! My Samsung phone is so useless however, it can't even remember the spelling of my name.
    Yeah ,I know about AI but what is I.A( Intelligence Augmentation)? That was my question @Bubbly di.I guess you misunderstood me or vice versa.

OK , talking about Google keyboard that you use @mheredge.yes it is really helpful but now, if you are eligible to get update of Google keyboard you will get one more option.In which Google Keyboard can write for you.you have to speak only.And you know what, it is really working good with my voice.I used it several times on Skype chatting.it can even type regional words.B because it uses your previous used words.Amazing.
    Just try it! If you have not used it yet.
    I'll have to try it out @mohit_singh. I was pleased to get a message from Google to leg me know they'd amended my address in Nice. Google maps wax putting my building about 750 metres along the street, about eight minutes walk from my actual location. They corrected the location bug didn't update the picture, showing still the petrol station rather than my building!
    congratulation @mheredge
    Ok,now you can send a link from the internet for explaining address!that is great!
This discussion has been closed.