Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for another week, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

News Round Up 220

pridepocpridepoc Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,530 mod
    Perhaps not surprisingly “Brexit” (the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union) has been named the word of the year by dictionary publisher Collins. An article in The Guardian says that Brexit saw its first recorded usage in 2013, but has since increased in use by more than 3,400% this year. Collins says such an increase is “unheard of” since it began monitoring word usage.

Derivations of the word include Brexiter and I have even seen Brexiteer (not to be confused with Musketeer!)
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Teacher Posts: 2,047 mod
    I still shudder every time I hear the word!

Here's the recording for this one:
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Teacher Posts: 2,047 mod
    And the slower version:
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,866 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge even Oxford dictionary accepted this word 'Brexit'.

I am thinking about the word Grexit. It may be used in the future if Greece wants to take aside!

Origin
    2012 (as Brixit): blend of British (or Britain) and exit, probably on the pattern of Grexit (coined earlier in the same year).

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/brexit
    And what about Frexit @Bubbly? Though having seen what is happening in Britain, I doubt the French will want to make the same mistake.
    @mheredge even the UK is not fully out of it! But, it was the biggest mistake to conduct this referendum.
    Cameron has gracelessly slid into the background since calling the referendum. He may go down in history as being a total disaster.
    @mheredge do you really think that only Cameron is responsible for what has happened in the UK?
    Good grief no @Bubbly but he started the process.
    What are these 'marks? @mheredge

The Daily Mirror informs us that a database is being built of strange carvings known as witches' marks.

Members of the public are being asked to share details and photos of any ritual protection symbols they come across which can be found in medieval houses and historic places like the Tower of London.

The markings are mainly from 1550 to 1750 when there was widespread belief in witchcraft and the supernatural .

Duncan Wilson, chief executive of Historic England, the government's heritage agency, said: "Witches' marks are a physical reminder of how our ancestors saw the world.”
    I have no idea @Bubbly but I'm supposing that they must be symbols maybe.
    @mheredge or may be some codes.
    You've been watching too many Dan Brown movies @Bubbly!

File:Inferno_(2016_film).png
    @mheredge I didn't watch his movies so far. :)
This discussion has been closed.