Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Why native English speakers are the world's worst communicators!

mheredgemheredge WordsmithHere and therePosts: 25,675 mod
“A lot of native speakers are happy that English has become the world’s global language. They feel they don’t have to spend time learning another language,” says Chong. “But… often you have a boardroom full of people from different countries communicating in English and all understanding each other and then suddenly the American or Brit walks into the room and nobody can understand them.”

Have you found that native English speakers can be hard to understand? If so, what are the most typical problems you have understanding them? Is is the vocabulary, the speed or accent (or all three)?

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20161028-native-english-speakers-are-the-worlds-worst-communicators

Comments

• mpassalampassala Posts: 124 ✭✭
    I think the main problem is that they don't make any effort to get understood by people who speaks English as a second language. When you ask them to speak slowly or to articulate their words they often repeat their sentences at the same pace and in the same way as before. Sometimes, from my point of view, it could be just a matter of articulate words in a clear manner. By the way, in addition to these matters i find very difficult when people use slang, there are so many colloquialisms that it is almost impossible to learn all of them and they are pretty often uncomprehensible, unless you look for their meaning on google.
  • zaiymurszaiymurs Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    As a non native speaker, the problems is, accents, slangs and dialects, the colloquial and the way they make their own sentences and of course i had the limited vocabulary, how could i understand if i only knew some vocabulary.

The non native speaker usually using simple and basic English, maybe that's why easy to understand. Listening to Cockney, posh, and Americano street slangs make me blurry.
  • zaiymurszaiymurs Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    Even i don't fully understand while listening to non native speaker on Skype sessions, sometimes i asked them to repeated what they said. My bad :s
  • atif_altaf1atif_altaf1 Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Actually native speakers use slang they speaks fast at the same time so that's why it's hard to understand them
  • atif_altaf1atif_altaf1 Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Acscent and pronoounciation other problems as wel.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,675 mod
    I think many native speakers are bad at adapting the way they speak for non-native speakers. I speak in a totally different way with my native speaker friends - very fast, using more difficult vocabulary and idioms, not always finishing my sentences properly (because I know they'll understand) and so on.

I think native speakers who live in other countries and integrate with locals however, usually know how to speak more clearly and use simpler vocabulary that won't immediately bambuzal those who do not speak English as a first language.

Here of course, I am deliberately trying to push you with new vocabulary....
This discussion has been closed.