Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

DURIAN!!! Have you ever eat it ?

zaiymurszaiymurs Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
edited November 2016 in Food and Drink
Some people say it's delicious, finger lickin, while the others said it's taste disgusting, smelly and outer space fruit ( never seen or heard about it, and because of the smell ).

But we South East Asian definitely love Durians, and some of the East Asian people as well. It's known as the king of fruit, prickly and hard, take some effort to open it, had an unpleasent, stinky and pungent smell, put it in closed space can cause an headache, no wonder it's not allowed in hotels and public transports. Eventhough it had unpleasent look and smell it's taste delicious, creamy, sweet. It have many type of species and variety of grade, the best one is the yellowish in. Eat it too much may increasing body temperature. I know many European, North American and Caucasian don't like it, but some of them love it.

So guys what do you think about it, have you ever taste it ?

Comments

• kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,641 mod
    I've heard it's a very delicious fruit which possesses lots of vitamins. But when I start to smell its stench, vomiting happens. :fearful:

• zaiymurszaiymurs Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    Ahh, you don't like it @kindgnice , you should have a second attempt, i think you're considering minority in SEA who don't like Durian, is that Philippines don't like it much. A Malaysian, Thais, Indonesian Brunei and Cambodia love it, even we export it to Hong Kong as we have the lovers there.
    I think you're right, I guess I have to give it a shot. I'm also planning to go to Malaysia someday, if my budget allows me to, such as Kuala Lumpur. And from there, I will try Malaysian's Durian version. :) @zaiymurs
    When ? Maybe we can meet someday if there's is any possibilities, perhaps i can suggest any interesting places here.

After googling the southern of Philippines is more familiar with Durian, am i right @kindgnice ?
    edited November 2016
    By all means, you've said it right!
    According from this link:
    http://doonposaamin.ph/articles/food-to-eat/8-kinds-of-durian-in-davao-city

Nearly all durian produced in the Philippines is grown in Mindanao and 70% of them comes from Davao alone. Most of them come from Calinan district in Davao City and as a result, Calinan is touted as the Durian Capital of Davao. Durian is a large, spiky fruit that is notorious for its sulfuric smell which resembles something like rotted onions. But it’s also famous for its sweet flesh, which is rich and decadent for many. It’s enough for most people to overcome the smell. Only a small minority are repulsed by both the smell and the taste. But most people are unaware that there are many varieties of durian. There are at least 16 varieties produced in Davao, although there’s plenty more to be found that’s not commercially cultivated.

@zaiymurs
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once...only once and I even didn't chew it before spit it; however, there's someone craving for it (unbelievable)...my mother :unamused:
    It's a disaster when she fills the fridge with it.
    Same as my Dad's... :neutral: @Shiny03
    What about the middle and northern Philippines @kindgnice , is that Durian is less liking there ?
    kindgnice said:

Same as my Dad's... :neutral: @Shiny03

Poor you...(sorry, but I admit that I laughed a bit...)
    Where's your mom originates from ? is she is a Chinese ? As what i know the Japanese don't like Durian.
    I give a clap to your mum @Shiny03 , clap clap clap :D
    Same goes to your father, i give him the clap as well @kindgnice , welcoming him to the Durians Fans Club :D
    Honestly i don't like it's smell, but the taste is my liking, yummy yum.

It's not just fruit itself, here Durians turn into many food products, such as ice cream, eat with glutinous rice with a Durian sauce, snacks ( i don't know in English what it's called, like a Twisties, something put into plastic packaging), Durian crepe.
    @hardpeople @Leochun , what say you both HK people ?
    zaiymurs wrote: »
    What about the middle and northern Philippines @kindgnice , is that Durian is less liking there ?

@Zaiymurs, I believe there are some people who eat Durian here in Luzon and Visayas. The Durians are mostly known and shipped from Davao City, which is located in Mindanao. :)
    Honestly, I like eating Durian candies! :lol:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTR_XdesOkVjSEM1sAQIM6GPP9Lhmrhf07IvqQ89yegfKlX8aEFMg
    Hmmm, weird you like these candies, but you dislike Durian itself, is that because of the smell @kindgnice ?
    Or these candies taste soft and mild rather than the original one.
    Apparently, these candies taste sweet without stenchy smell at all. :) @zaiymurs
    edited November 2016
    Some people just love this swampy, stenchy, rotting food... :fearful:

Kusaya

But i don't it something rotten @Shiny03 :)
    Don't say that, because I'll let you eat them someday. :smirk: @zaiymurs
    Sounds like you did tasted it before @Shiny03 ,tasty ? :#
    It's worse than durian, hence, I never dare put them in my mouth.
    I hope your mom not put it into the fridge together with durian @Shiny03 , if that happen you are helpless.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,992 mod
    Durian ice cream! I love it.
    I don't think you eat Durian ice cream in European country @mheredge , is these flavour available in Nepal ?
  • yulintinrdyulintinrd Posts: 8
    Hello I am Indonesian. In Indonesian, there are so many durians here. So many Indonesians people like durian very much. But I don't. Btw, I have durians tree in the garden in my house. Do you want to taste it? Just come to my house. Hihi
    Welcome to LEN forum @yulintinrd , don't worry i'm not crazy about these fruit, just like it, i guessed your parents is the one who planting Durian tree. In some country durian can cost 43USD per KG or higher for whole fruit.

Do you like spicy foods? As what i know Indonesians can eating lots of raw chili as vegetables paired with rice. :s
    thank you. @zaiymurs where are u from?
    oh really? it's so expensive. In Indonesia we can get durian only about 2USD when it is harvest season.
    yes that's true. Indonesians like eating lots of raw chili as vegetables. it named "sambal". It is so delicious. but I am not really like it, because I am afraid with the effect of eating lots of spicy foods :smiley:
    edited November 2016
    i'm across the straits of Malacca, a peninsular.
    I've asked the Indonesian worker here, they said they are just eat it raw, without mashed it to sambal. So you aren't a Javanese, am i right ?
    oh sorry, I didn't know clearly what do you mean before (*pardon my English). and I am confused because there are so many ways to eat the spicy chili :smiley: oh I am Javanese