Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for another week, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

News Round Up 219

pridepocpridepoc Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

Comments

• BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,866 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    How lovely!

I wonder what are the odds on this happening – a couple who disobeyed their parents to marry in Scotland 60 years ago have accidentally bought back the motorbike they eloped on.
    And, reports the Daily Mail, the machine still had their love note in the engine.
    Teenagers Jean and Bob Smith were married in secret in Gretna Green in 1956 because their parents considered them too young to wed and made the two-day 600 mile journey from their home in Cornwall on a 1947 Royal Enfield Flying Flea motorbike.
    Jean and Bob had to sell the bike a few years later to cover bills but when 79 year old Bob recently spotted a similar model at a vintage rally he decided to buy it for old time's sake.
    And when he repaired the crank shaft, he found the forgotten love note.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,530 mod
    Brits are falling out of love with canned soup, according to the Daily Express.

I wonder if having ring pulls on the top of the cans might help? I think twice about cans that I need a can opener to open.
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Teacher Posts: 2,047 mod
    Make your own soup youngsters! It's so easy!

Here's the link for the recording:
    edited November 2016
    @mheredge canned food is not very popular at my place as there are certain negative perceptions about the canned food especially about preservatives.
    That's a very fair point @Bubbly. I have very few tinned products in my larder. But I'm not sure whether there's much difference between things in jars or tins other than you can see what is in there. I suppose I should just look more closely at the list of ingredients on the labels!
    @mheredge I am a bit confused about these two words i.e. canned and tinned.
    They mean the same @Biubbly (canned is more American). We would refer to a tin of baked beans for example. I'm not sure an American would even know what a tin is!
This discussion has been closed.