Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Don't Be Beautiful

F@timaF@tima Posts: 64 ✭✭
edited October 2016 in People and Feelings
They keep saying that beautiful is something a girl needs to be.
but honestly??
forgot that, Don't be beautiful.
Be angry, be intelligent, be witty, be klutzy, be interesting, be funny, be adventurous, be crazy, be talented...
there are an eternity of other things than BEAUTIFUL and what is beautiful anyway but a set of letters strung together to make a word?
Be your own definition of amazing, always.
That is so much more important than anything beautiful, ever.

Comments

• BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    It reminds me of a song by James Blunt - You're Beautiful.

• Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirror mirror on the wall who's the fairest of them all? :mrgreen:

• icha_15icha_15 Posts: 127 ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    The outer beauty is relative thing, in my point of view. The standard of beauty itself could be different one another. The important thing is inner beauty is better than outer beauty. Because the inner beauty will be long lasting than outer one. Better if both of them could be belonged altogether. Though, we realize no one is perfect.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,110 mod
    @F@tima they say that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder.'

Cultural norms have different ideas on beauty. For my part, since I have never been one to like following the 'norm,' I would never wear stilettos nor do I wear makeup. And beauty? I prefer the inner sort that @icha_15 refers to.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,110 mod
    I thought this was interesting @F@tima. I don't know what you think, but I think these pictures show that these famous actresses look much MORE beautiful without makeup than they would with it on.

http://www.trueactivist.com/2017-pirelli-calendar-celebrates-aging-actresses-without-photoshop-or-makeup/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+TrueActivist+(True+Activist)
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭✭
    Golden thoughts! I really appreciate your point @f@tima
    But how can someone ignore the real beauty.It is also the part of nature.be it human face or heart or a scenery!
    I think if you have beauty doesn't mean you have everything.beauty also need mind for preservation.Isn't it?
    But we can't deny beauty as well.we want combination of both.But the problem here is that we can make our mind sharper.But we can't do anything with our physical beauty.It is not in our control and it will fade away after some time.
  • F@timaF@tima Posts: 64 ✭✭
    yes @mohit_singh. :)
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭
    @mohit_singh
    We can't do anything about our physical beauty, Absolutely true. I completely agree with you on this point.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,737 mod
    I'm not saying that people SHOULDN'T try to be beautiful, but I do think that there are lots of other things that they can be BESIDES beautiful, which are just as important. I always say that a beautiful mind is much nicer then a beautiful body, anyway.