Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

2016-10-25 The Ending

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 8,622 mod
edited October 2016 in Your Writing
Write your ending to the story from today's Kitely session here:-

@Rema - @engreem - @april - @Shiny03

Tagged:

Comments

• Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I forgot. :fearful: I'll prepare it.
    @Rema @engreem @april How about you? Fingers crossed.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,765 mod
    I forgot that too, @Shiny03 :D
    edited November 2016
    The ending - April's version.

He had too.
    He had to find his way back before lunch time otherwise his wife would be furious.
    He had promised her to bring some milk and bread and promise is promise for her.
    No excuse would be good enough to break it.
    But ... what if he couldn’t find the way back?
    Didn’t the GPS show him the right route or should he blame himself?
    It was a new GPS, especially bought for this holiday so as he could boast how many kilometres and how many steps he did during the holiday!
    To be honest, this was the first time that he used a GPS for running.
    He had had set it wrongly, that was for sure, he had to admit.
    It happened to him more; putting wrong data in his car’s GPS which resulted in arriving in the wrong places.
    This thought of his blunders made him smile despite his aches and pains.
    He had faith again and continued walking.

“Daddy! Daddy!”
    Suddenly, he heard a familiar voice! It was Laura’s voice!

But, where was she?

He looked around and tried to sharpen his eyesight .... and in a distance he saw a silhouette of a girl moving towards him.
    The longer the clearer and then he recognised her. It was Laura!
    He was finally home!
    He didn’t know how though.
    He was relieved, but ... how would he explain the deep scratch on his forehead, his bare feet and his late coming home to Angela?
    And a sudden horrible warning came to his mind, he would surely get into trouble!
    Milk and bread! He forgot to bring milk and bread!

---------------------

He had to!

He had to find his way back before lunch time, otherwise his wife would be furious. He had promised he would bring some milk and bread and a promise was a promise to her. No excuse would be good enough to break it.

But ... what if he couldn’t find the way back?

Didn’t the GPS show him the right route or should he blame himself? It was a new GPS, bought especially for this holiday so as he could boast how many kilometres and how many steps he had taken during his break.

To be honest, this was the first time that he had used a GPS whilst running. He had set it wrongly, that was for sure. It happened to him a lot; putting wrong data in his car’s GPS which resulted in arriving in the wrong places.

The thought of his blunders made him smile despite his aches and pains. He had faith again and continued walking.

“Daddy! Daddy!” Suddenly, he heard a familiar voice! It was Laura’s voice, but where was she?

He looked around squinting, trying to sharpen his eyesight .... and in the distance he saw the silhouette of a girl moving towards him. As it grew nearer it became clearer, and then he recognised her. It was Laura!

He was finally home!
    He didn’t know how though.

He was relieved, but ... how would he explain the deep scratch on his forehead, his bare feet and his lateness?
    He had a sudden horrible thought; he would surely get into trouble! Milk and bread! He had forgotten to bring milk and bread!
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • RemaRema Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Shiny03 for reminding me :)
    edited November 2016
    Ian felt like a fragile twig that can be devastated in just one smooth motion.
    Exhausted, scratched, stabbed, blooded he started to feel dizziness.
    His eyesight was totally blurred and suddenly became to be occupied with terrible thoughts- 'Will I be the first man who had drown in a shallow river, or better to say in a creek?''
    After few steps one big branch hitted him in the head and he passed out.
    On the right bank of the river a flock of sheep peacefully were grazing green grass whilst a shepherd was playing a flute.
    Beside his knees was lying his loyal friend- a collie which was called after famous movie-star dog Lassie.
    At one moment Lassie noticed the man on the waters's surface.
    In the blink of eye she jumped and started barking and running towards Ian simultaniously.
    She grabbed him to his shirt and drew him to the land.
    Ian didn't show any signs of life untill Lessie licked his face.
    Unbelievable, but true Ian was waked up directly from the dead.
    In parallel with this drama Ian's family was thinking about worst things which could happen to him.
    Was he killed, hijacked, tortured, eaten by a bear?
    Those were just some of many horrible thoughts which fell on their minds at that moment.
    Ian's wife decided to call a police but in the moment they heard sounds of knocking and barking.
    They quickly raced to see who is it.
    In the front of the door stood Ian in a sloppy, muddy and torn outfit.
    They were kissing and hugging him tightly with no intention to stop.
    ''Look at this dog'', shouted Ian, ' she saved my life.''
    The same night Ian threw a party in the honour of his rescuer- Lassie.
    He was acquainted with the fact that Lassie enjoy the most in the sounds of bagpipe so he hired the best bagpiper in this shire.

------------------------------

Ian felt like a twig that could be snapped in just one smooth motion.

Exhausted, scratched, stabbed, bloody he started to feel dizzy.

His eyesight was blurred and suddenly his mind was filled with terrible thoughts- 'Will I be the first man to drown in a shallow river, or would it be better to say in a creek?''

After a few steps a big branch hit him on the head and he passed out.

On the right bank of the river a flock of sheep were peacefully grazing on the green grass whilst a shepherd was playing a flute. Lying next to him was his loyal friend- a collie who he'd called after the famous movie-star dog Lassie.

In an instant Lassie noticed the Ian on the surface of the waters. In the blink of an eye she jumped and started barking and running towards Ian. She grabbed him by his shirt and pulled him to land.

Ian didn't show any signs of life until Lassie licked his face. Unbelievable, but true Ian was brought back from the dead.

In parallel with this drama Ian's family was thinking about the worst things that could have happened to him. Had he been killed, kidnapped, tortured, eaten by a bear? These were just some of the many horrible thoughts that came to mind. Ian's wife decided to call the police but just then they heard a knock and the sound of a dog barking.

They quickly raced to see who it was.

At the front door stood Ian in a sloppy, muddy, torn outfit.

They all started kissing and hugging him tightly with no intention of stopping.
    ''Look at this dog'', shouted Ian, ' she saved my life.''

That very night Ian threw a party in honour of his rescuer - Lassie.

He knew that Lassie enjoyed the sound of bagpipes, so he hired the best bagpiper in the Shire.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    edited November 2016
    How many hours had been passed? It seemed like a mighty long time. Gosh, he thought.

He looked up at the sky.
    The clouds started gathering and the sky turned dark from which a lightening coming. Soon rain would follow.
    He was worn out, but he must proceed. The drops were drumming on his forehead. He tried to quicken his pace with every inch of his aching body from the freezing cold. Then the drops became more intense. All at once, it started to pour with rain. He sucked in air through his nose and tried to keep moving forward.Tears were in his eyes. Would I die here? he murmured.

The vision became hazy. He didn't even know where he was heading for. He regretted he ever thought running away from his family. oh, I should've spent more time with them, said Ian. The children's faces with pasta sauce and Angela's smile popped up in his mind. He smiled.

Suddenly, he lost his balance, fumbling-tumbling down an incline. While sprawling on the ground, he heard the hymn of voices coming from somewhere. Ian! Daddy!

Eventually, the drops faded into silence.
    The sun came out again.

--------------------------

How many hours had passed? It seemed like a mighty long time. Gosh, he thought.

He looked up at the sky. Clouds were gathering and the sky was turning dark. Suddenly there was a flash of lightening. Soon rain would follow.

He was worn out, but he knew he must carry on. Heavy drops were drumming on his forehead and he tried to quicken his pace, with every inch of his aching body, through the freezing cold. The drops became more intense, and all at once, it started to pour with rain. He sucked in air through his nose and tried to keep moving forward. There were tears in his eyes.

"Will I die here?", he murmured.

His vision became hazy. He didn't even know where he was heading, and regretted ever thinking about running away from his family.

"Oh, I should've spent more time with them", said Ian. The children's faces with pasta sauce and Angela's smile popped into his head, and he smiled.

Suddenly, he lost his balance, fumbling-tumbling down an incline, he ended up sprawling on the ground, when he heard the hymn of voices coming from somewhere. Ian! Daddy!

Eventually, the drops faded into silence, and the sun came out again.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    @Rema You're welcome. :smile:
  • nidhiinidhii Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    @april @Rema Nice story .I Enjoyed it.
    Thanks, @nidhii :D
    Thanks @nidhii :)
  • MonikMonik Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    you guys are pretty good writers!! :) I'm impressed @april @Rema
    edited November 2016
    I'm sure you'd write as good as us if it isn't better than us, @Monik . :)

---------------------

I'm sure you could write as well as us, if not better (than us).
    or
    I'm sure your ending would be as good as ours, if not better.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    april said:

I'm sure you'd write as good as us if it isn't better than us, @Monik . :)

Thanks @Monik :)
    I couldn't agree more @april :)
    edited November 2016
    @april @Rema To be honest when I read your story I thought I was reading a book. ;)

Me a good writer!.... Mmmm. Nope LOL Besides, as you know guys I don't write too much. Although let's see if something comes to mind.

Challenge accepted :)
    @Monik I can't wait to read your story. Fingers crossed. :smile:
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭✭
    if story leaves some devastating Question behind then it would be considered as a good one!
    off course for me!

I like your stories@shiny03 @Rema @april .i think it's incomplete because you wrote it for some situation may be!
    but you all used a great vocabulary and emotion!I love it! <3
    @mohit_singh ,
    yes our writings are only the ending of a story that @Lynne shared with us during a drama session.
    I can imagine that it confused you. :)
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,622 mod
    @Hermine - You can post your ending here.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 5,883 mod
    edited November 2016
    Okay @Lynne, thanks for giving me the opportunity to put my contribiution still in.

Ian started to think back, as he left his wife and children at the cottage. He was glad to have some sparetime just for himself. His wife always wants a help in the kitchen and the children arguing all the time. It was a big, figuratively rucksack, he left at home and felt free. But now in this his hopeless situation he would have been so happy to hear a voice of a family member.

He thought on his late grandfather who always told him, that there is always a door that leads you to a better situation. You just have to find it. And he always told him never to give up, always to look ahead for a solution if you have a bad time in life.

Everything on his body hurt and the hunger and thurst were huge. What shall he do? In what direction would he have to go? He had to save the last energy that remainded in his body.

Then at a sudden, he heard a bell a familiar sound, because the cottage there where they were staying had a chaple nearby and he always got furious when it started to ring. But this time it was a holy lovely sound.
    He started to ran as fast as he could not to miss a single tone of the bell and yes it got stronger and stronger and then stopped at once. It had done its job and led poor Ian home to his beloved family.
    All of them were sitting around the dinning table outside waiting for their father to come and eat with them.
    When he went up the stairs he kissed his wife and children and pressend them tightley to his body.
    The family had been surprised about the behavier of their father and husband.They had forgotten the time by doing all the things they liked.

--------------------------

Ian started to think back on how he had left his wife and children at the cottage. He was glad to have some spare time just for himself. His wife always wanted him to help in the kitchen and with the children arguing all the time, it was a big, figurative rucksack. But he had left it at home and had felt free. However, now in this hopeless situation he would have been so happy to hear a voice of any family member.

He thought about his late grandfather who had always told him, that there is always a door that leads you to a better situation. You just have to find it. And he had always told him never to give up, and to always look ahead for a solution if you were having a bad time.

Everything hurt, and the hunger and thirst were killing him. What should he do? In what direction would he have to go? He had to conserve his energy.

Then, all of a sudden, he heard a bell; a familiar sound, because there was a chapel near the cottage where they were staying, and he had always got furious when it started to ring, but this time it was a heavenly sound.

He started to run as fast as he could so as not to miss a single note of the bell and yes it got stronger and stronger and then suddenly stopped, but it had done its job and led poor Ian home to his beloved family.

They were all sitting around the dining table outside waiting for their father to come and eat with them. When he went up the steps he kissed his wife and children and hugged them tightly. They were surprised at this behaviour. They had lost track of time whilst doing all the things they liked.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    edited November 2016
    @Lynne here I go :)

Ian took a deep breath. He couldn't believe it was happening to him. He spent a few minutes remembering every step he took. Then, looking at his GPS watch he realized it wasn't working.

"Holy crap! "

He glanced at the surroundings seeking for any hint that could help him to get to the path again. After some time trying to find his way back to the cottage, he got nothing, but lots of bushes and branches along the way.

Ian lost track of time and sun started to go down. He summoned up all the strength to move forward before the night fell. He took out a T-shirt from his backpack and ripped it into pieces. He wrapped his wounds and all uncovered skin. Ian stood up and let his instincts guide him.. He knew he couldn't give up, so he kept walking.

At the cottage, neither Angela nor Laura have asked for Ian’s exploring yet, only Simon was uneasy because of his father’s absence.

Hours went by and Ian got desperate. Unexpectedly he stumbled upon a shack, still blurred he whipped out a flashlight to be sure. He stood at the door, the place seemed pretty quiet, he could see a dim light inside. Before knocking he paused and whispered.

“This is it, it’s over”.

An old lady with tiny spectacles wearing pajamas opened the door. Her name was Lucy, she was terrified looking at Ian’s bad physical condition so she called out Jack, her husband. Lucy cleaned and bandaged Ian’s wounds, and just after he took a sip of water he phoned Angela.

By then, Angela was worried about Ian, she had called the police already. When she heard him on the phone, she felt relieved.

Last thing he said was.

“It was a grueling exploring”

-------------------------------

Ian took a deep breath. He couldn't believe what was happening to him. He spent a few minutes remembering every step he had taken, looking at his GPS watch, with horror he realized it wasn't working.

"Holy crap!"

He glanced at the surroundings, looking for any hint that could help him get to the path again. After some time trying to find his way back to the cottage, he had found nothing but lots of bushes and branches along the way.

He realised he had lost track of time as the sun started to set. He summoned up all his remaining strength to make progress before night fell. He took a T-shirt out of his backpack and ripped it into pieces. He wrapped his wounds and all the uncovered skin he could, and stood up. He let his instincts guide him. He knew he couldn't give up, so he just kept walking.

In the meantime, back at the cottage, neither Angela nor Laura had asked about Ian’s exploration yet, only Simon was uneasy because of his father’s absence.

Hours passed and Ian grew more and more desperate. Unexpectedly he stumbled upon a shack, his eyesight was blurred so he whipped out a flashlight to be sure. He stood at the door, the place seemed pretty quiet, he could see a dim light inside. Before knocking he paused and whispered.

“This is it, it’s over”.

An old lady with tiny spectacles wearing pyjamas opened the door. Her name was Lucy, and she was terrified looking at Ian’s appearance, so she called out to Jack, her husband. Lucy cleaned and bandaged Ian’s wounds, and just after he took a sip of water he phoned Angela.

By then, Angela had grown worried about Ian, she had already called the police. When she heard his voice on the phone, she felt relieved.

Last thing he said was.

“It was grueling exploring.”
    Post edited by Lynne on