Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Vocabulary list of everyday objects

chyijungchyijung Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2016 in Words Words Words
Recently, while I was reading English novels, I found a lot of simple objects I couldn't name them in English on a daily basis. I suppose every non-native English speaker faces the same problems as I do. So why don't we share these vocabularies here to help each other?
@Bubbly @Oleg @hazel27 @nuurussubchiy @mohit_singh @nomad81 @somaia @april @Frank @Hermine @kindgnice

Only Entity Items should be included in this thread. e.g. Apple, Ball, Cat
Items with more than one word are included too. e.g. Steering wheel
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• chyijungchyijung Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭✭
    Cobblestone
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,096 mod
    hard shoulder = a hardened strip alongside a motorway for stopping on in an emergency.
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,771 mod
    edited October 2016
    I encounter new words on a daily basis whilst reading . It sometimes feels as if the supply of these words never becomes less. I don't know if it's useful to memorize all these words because apparently they aren't frequently used. There are just far too many English words.

frazzle, detractors, serendipitous, aberrant, musings, parsimonious, prodigious, con artist, blurt out, mooting, chump, tepid, piggybacking, unquenchable, eulogy, convolution... to mention but a few I recently encountered.

It might be useful to review this discussion @chyijung
    http://www.learn-english-forum.org/discussion/1602/how-many-english-words-do-you-know/p1
    edited October 2016
    I agree that @Frank. We don't need to memorize everything to speak good English.
    But this thread is only for Everyday and Entity Items. So all the adjectives, verbs, adverbs and even nouns to describe actions (eg: swimming) would be excluded.
    This is basically a kind of ABC flashcard game we used to play in our childhood.
    I still think it's useful to memorize a little bit more vocabulary.

• eshraqeshraq Posts: 7
    - Ingenious: celver,orginal and inventive.
    - sophisticated: high degree of complexity
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,040 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @chyijung whenever I read a book or watch a TV series, I open word doc. simultaneously where I write down difficult/new words and their meanings. Then, I save that file and use it whenever I search for new words for a different expression.
    Which novel you are reading these days?
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    @chyijung I agree with you. In book which I have been reading, I found a phrase "buzz off". It is equal a phrase "get out".
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,119 mod
    This morning I came across a word I'd never seen before: stoked. Fortunately from the context I was able to guess it's meaning. I'm guessing it is an Australian-English phrase (the author was an Auzzie).

"Would be stoked to chat to you and maybe collab?" [collaborate]
    Hi everyone, I'm happy to get yours replies.
    But the game is for Entity objects only. That mean not every vocabulary is included.
    @Bubbly I'm reading The high mountains of Portugal. I'm still at the very beginning of the story. The author described a car in a very detailed manner. Here are another word I have just learned

Lever = A projecting arm or handle that is moved to operate a mechanism.
    smql9crtgl4af16z2rwc.png.resize.710x399.png

Mink = small mammals with long, thin bodies, short legs, pointed snouts and claws. These soft creatures are related to ermines, ferrets and weasels and look much like their relatives. Their fur is highly valued.
    mink-colin-varndell.jpg
  • Julia1Julia1 Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Sick - is related to a sickness or physical condition affecting an individual or group
    Ill - can mean bad, poor, unwell or sick
    I think @chyijung is looking for nouns @Julia1.

A sick person can be referred to as an invalid or a patient.
  • Julia1Julia1 Posts: 15 ✭✭
    for example: Afrer the roller coaster ride, Charles felt sick.
    The expedition was ill advised.
    @Julia1 Charles felt nauseous. He felt ready to throw up. He wanted to vomit his breakfast!
    Misericord - A wooden ledge under the seat in the church. that, when the seat is folded up, acting as a support for a standing prayer.

I read the word in the novel. Something new for me.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
    @chyijung
    Photos are good! We can try to name the things in a photo. Could you add another photo so that we can all try to name things? I'd like to add one myself, but unfortunately, I don't have enough stars.

By the way, which one is a misericord? Could you tell me once again because I can't recognize a wooden ledge under those seats.
    @takafromtokyo that is really a brilliant idea! I will try to post some interesting pictures here.

This is the only picture I can find on the internet about how misericord work. And from the picture, I was lead to this website, which has a clear description about this tiny bench.
    http://modernmedievalism.blogspot.tw/2012/09/two-very-different-kinds-of-medieval.html

edited December 2016
    Do you know what is this in English?

@chyijung
    This is great!
    I'm not saying "great" is its name. Haha

No, I have no idea! I know what it is, though. Doctors use it to listen to the sound when a patient breathes.
    chyijung said:

Misericord - A wooden ledge under the seat in the church. that, when the seat is folded up, acting as a support for a standing prayer.

I read the word in the novel. Something new for me.

Hahaha @chyijung this is far from an everyday item! I'm not even sure they exist much outside the UK. And they certainly are not made any more.

Similarly the stethoscope is not all that 'everyday' unless you're a doctor of course! (@takafromtokyo).
    Oh, so it's called a stethoscope!
    @chyijung
    I know this is slightly different from what we'v been trying to do, but since I can't add any pictures yet, I've decided to use YouTube. To begin with, I picked up the nouns she used in her explanation.

nouns
    train station/map/exit/destination/line/sign/ticket/machine/commuter pass/
    card/money/menu/touch screen/deposit/bill/coin/subway/change/receipt/button/
    ticket gate/credit card/debit card/ticket counter/strip/back/touch pad/IC pad/
    train fare/monthly pass/vending machine/department store

These are nouns that she used in her explanation, but we can also try to identify and name items that we can see in the video.
    (ex) stairs

Also, we can try adding some adjetives or modifiers to be more specific.

What do you think?
    Haha, @mheredge. they're not commonly seen indeed. but I wonder how did you call a stethoscope while visiting a doctor. I mean is there another word to call the device?
    That is really a good idea, aside from learning the nouns. we can also practice the listening skill. I'm not very good at listening though.

@chyijung
    I guess now I should be capable of adding images to my post, but how do I do it?
    Congrats @takafromtokyo, do you see the image icon on the toolbar? click on it then a search bar will show up which you can paste your image URL on it.
    @chyijung
    Hey!! Happy to see you again!
    I've been promoted and now I should be able to add images myself, but unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure it out. Someone told me I have to first have a facebook or instagram or something like that. Someone told me that I can't post pictures that are stored in my computer. How do you get the image that you are going to post in the first place??
    edited February 14
    Hello @takafromtokyo
    Here april and Frank had a detailed explaination about how to add a picture from the internet.
    learn-english-forum.org/discussion/1853/how-to-add-pictures/p1

If you want to add your own pictures, then you need to upload your pictures to the image hosting websites like Flickr or Imgur. Creating the images' URL and repeat the steps in the link.

Good Luck :)
    Post edited by chyijung on
    Unfortunately Facebook won't work @takafromtokyo as it has to be a public site, lie Flickr. This is why I don't put photos I've taken myself and I just use photos found on the Internet. Wiki has a very good range of photos on every subject under the sun and they're common source too, so there's no copyright issues with using them.
    How can I get access to Wiki? @mheredge
This discussion has been closed.