Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Mr. Bean Quiz

FrankFrank ModeratorPosts: 5,771 mod
edited October 2016 in Quizzes
Watch this Mr. Bean video and then answer the questions below.
(you can find the right answers under the spoiler.)

1. What did Mr. Bean do after the waiter had brought him his dinner?
He tipped the waiter.

2. How did Mr. Bean like the Steak Tartar he'd ordered? Why?
He didn't like the Steak Tartar because it wasn't cooked.

3. What did he do with the Steak Tartar? Why?
He tried to hide it everywhere because he didn't want to show the waiter he didn't like it.

4. Where did he hide the meat?
He hid it inside a bun, in the sugar dish and inside a woman's purse.

5. What was the first song the violinist played for Mr. Bean?
The violinist played "Happy birthday".

6. What accident did the waiter have?
He tripped over and fell on the floor.

7. What did Mr. Bean tell the host?
He told the host the waiter had made a mess.

8. What did he show the host?
He showed the host the meat that was inside the woman's purse.

9. What did the host do?
The host guided Mr. Bean to a new table.

10. What did the waiter bring Mr. Bean?
He brought Mr. Bean another Steak Tartar.
Post edited by Frank on

Comments

• kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,615 mod
    Thanks for this quiz @Frank! It made me happy even feeling stressed out at work. I reminisce Mr. Bean's funny moments way back my childhood days. :joy:
  • chyijungchyijung Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't get why people laugh at the beginning of the video when Mr Bean took the money from the plate and handed it to the waiter. Did he break the table etiquette or he did something unusual?
    In Taiwan, we have to walk to the entrance and pay at the counter after finishing our meal. Sometime we pay before the meals are served, sometime after they are served depending on the restaurants.
    In Malaysia, you can call the waiter for billing whenever you've finished the meal.
    The Same thing is you don't need to give tip to the waiters/waitresses in both countries.
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    You do 'pay a tip' at restaurants in Taiwan. Didn't you notice that you always pay the bill (the price you see on the menu) plus 10% sales tax? That is to say, you pay the bill with automatic 10% tip. (Some even raise up to 15%.)

BTW, you can pay at the table in Taiwan, depending on restaurant. @chyijung
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,040 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry! I checked the spoiler first.

It is one of my favourite TV shows that I watch again and again. I love the way Mr. Bean expresses himself especially his body language.

Bubbly said:

Sorry! I checked the spoiler first.

It is one of my favourite TV shows that I watch again and again. I love the way Mr. Bean expresses himself especially his body language.

You know what? me too. :smiley:
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,132 mod
    chyijung said:

I don't get why people laugh at the beginning of the video when Mr Bean took the money from the plate and handed it to the waiter. Did he break the table etiquette or he did something unusual?
    In Taiwan, we have to walk to the entrance and pay at the counter after finishing our meal. Sometime we pay before the meals are served, sometime after they are served depending on the restaurants.
    In Malaysia, you can call the waiter for billing whenever you've finished the meal.
    The Same thing is you don't need to give tip to the waiters/waitresses in both countries.

Everyone laughed because in the UK, no one would ever pay in advance for their meal like this @chyijung. And he also paid a tip in advance! In Britain service is normally included too, but if the service is especially good, people often leave a bit extra on top of this.

Poor Mr Bean, he obviously wasn't keen on raw steak!
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,771 mod
    edited October 2016
    @chyijung The reason why people laughed in the beginning is not obvious in the video indeed. That's because the video starts quite in the middle of the story.

Here you can read how the story begins:

It was Mr. Bean's birthday, and he wanted to enjoy it! What could he do?
    'How can I make this important day a happy day?' he thought. 'I know. I'll go out to a restaurant for dinner this evening! I'll enjoy that. '
    That evening, Mr. Bean put on a clean shirt. He put on his best coat and trousers. He put on his best shoes. Then he drove to a restaurant in the centre of town.
    He arrived at eight o'clock and went inside. It was a very nice restaurant. Everybody was wearing their best clothes, and there were flowers on every table.
    'I'm going to like it here, ' thought Mr. Bean. 'This is a good restaurant for my birthday dinner. '
    The manager met him at the door.
    'Good evening, sir, ' he said. 'How are you? Would you like a table for one?'
    'Yes, please, ' said Mr. Bean.
    'Follow me, sir, ' said the manager.
    He walked across the room to a table, and Mr. Bean went after him.
    'Here you are, sir, ' said the manager. 'This is a nice table. '
    He pulled the chair away from the table. Then he waited for Mr. Bean to sit down. Mr. Bean looked at him.
    'Why is he taking my chair away?' thought Mr. Bean. 'What's he doing?'
    And he pulled the chair away from the manager and sat down quickly.
    When the manager went away, Mr. Bean sat quietly for a minute. Then he remembered something. He took a birthday card and an envelope out of his jacket. Next, he took out a pen and wrote 'Happy Birthday, Bean' inside the card. Then he put the card into the envelope and wrote his name on the outside of it. He put it on the table, and put his pen back into his jacket.
    After a minute or two, Mr. Bean pretended to see the card for the first time.
    'Oh! A card - for me?' he said.
    He opened the envelope and took out the card. He read it carefully.
    'Now that's nice!' he said. 'Somebody remembered my birthday!'
    And he stood the card on his table.
    The manager arrived with the menu and gave it to Mr. Bean. Mr. Bean started to read it.
    'Oh, dear!' he thought. 'Everything's very expensive! What can I have?'
    Mr. Bean got out his money. He had a ten-pound note and some coins. He put the money on to a plate.
    'How much have I got?' he said, and he moved the money round on the plate. 'Ten, eleven... And forty, fifty, fifty-five! Eleven pounds and fifty-five pence. '
    He looked at the menu again. What could he eat for eleven pounds fifty-five?
    The manager came to his table.
    'Are you ready, sir?' he asked.
    'Yes, ' said Mr. Bean. He put his finger on the menu. 'I'll have that, please. '
    The manager looked at the menu. 'The steak tartare, sir. Yes, of course. '
    'Yes, ' said Mr. Bean. 'Steak. '
    The manager took the menu and went away.
    Mr. Bean sat and looked round the restaurant. There were a lot of people in the room. There was a man and a woman at the next table. They ate and talked.
    Suddenly, a waiter arrived at Mr. Bean's table with a bottle of wine.
    'Would you like to try the wine, sir?' he said.
    'Oh, yes please, ' said Mr. Bean.
    The waiter put some wine in Mr. Bean's glass and Mr. Bean had a drink. It was very nice! He smiled, and the waiter tried to put more wine into the glass.
    Of course, the waiter was right. First, the customer tries his wine. When he is happy with it, the waiter gives him more wine. But Mr. Bean didn't know this, and he quickly put his hand across the glass.
    'No, thank you, ' he said. 'I don't drink wine when I'm driving.' The waiter looked at him strangely - and walked away. He didn't say, 'Why did you try the wine when you didn't want it, you stupid man!'
    Mr. Bean took the knife from the table and started to play with it. He pretended to be a bad man. He pretended to push the knife into somebody. But he didn't really want to kill anybody, of course. It was a game.
    The woman at the next table looked at him angrily, and Mr. Bean quickly moved the knife. Next, he hit the glasses and plate on his table with it. Ping, ping, ping they went! And after a minute, he played the song 'Happy Birthday' on the glasses. He smiled and thought, 'I'm very clever!'
    But the woman at the next table didn't think, 'That's clever!' or 'Oh yes, that's funny!' She thought, 'That man's really stupid!' And she looked hard at Mr. Bean.
    Mr. Bean put the knife down and looked at his napkin.
    'It's a very nice napkin, ' he thought.
    The waiter saw Mr. Bean looking at his napkin. He didn't say anything, but suddenly - flick! - he opened it for Mr. Bean.
    'That's clever, ' thought Mr. Bean. 'I'll try that!'
    And he began to move his napkin. Flick! Flick! Flick!
    Suddenly, the napkin flew out of his hand. It flew across on to the next table. The woman at the table looked round again. But Mr. Bean pretended not to see her. His face said, 'It's not my napkin!'
    A minute later, the waiter arrived with his food. There was a large cover on the plate and Mr. Bean couldn't see the food. But he gave the waiter the money on the table.
    Customers don't usually give a waiter money when he arrives with the food. But the waiter didn't say anything. He took the money and put it in his jacket. Mr. Bean was happy. 'I'm doing everything right, ' he thought. The waiter took the cover off the plate and walked away. Mr. Bean looked at the food in front of him. He put his nose near the meat and smelled it. Then he put his ear next to it.manager smiled and walked away.

Here the video continues...

You can read the rest of e-book and/or download the podcast of this story for free at: http://english-e-books.net/mr-bean-in-town-richard-curtis/
    Hahaha Poor Bean!
  • chyijungchyijung Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭✭
    @Shiny03 the sales taxes are invisible in Taiwan. They are always there. But you can't see it. Usually you only pay the prices showed on the menu.
    Most of the restaurants I went, you have to pay at the counters. Even some famous franchise like Din tai fung restaurant which serve outstanding XiaoLong Pao, they do it in the same way too. it's almost a custum here.

@Frank @mheredge ,thanks for the explanation. Poor Mr Bean indeed.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,907 mod
    Oh this is brilliant, I love Mr Bean. It's such a simple idea, but the character really makes me laugh, and I often watch the videos whenever I need cheering up a little bit!
    edited October 2016
    @Shiny03 but it is fun to talk about Mr. Bean that says a lot by even remaining silent all the time. In his case, silence is louder than words. :)
    Poor Mr Bean indeed! He is so out of it. Things that we all take for granted are totally new for him.
    Bubbly said:

@Shiny03 but it is fun to talk about Mr. Bean that says a lot by even remaining silent all the time. In his case, silence is louder than words. :)

He is an exception. :smiley:
    He is eccentric to say the least @Shiny03.
    @mheredge @Shiny03 I also enjoy watching animated movie of Mr. Bean with my nieces. It is as interesting as his other movies.
    I think Mr Bean would score high on any test to see if he has Asperger syndrome tendencies.

Asperger's syndrome is a developmental condition in which people have difficulties understanding how to interact socially. It is diagnosed when specific criteria are met like poor social interaction and unusual behaviour, interests, and activities.

I wonder what Mr Bean's score would be if he tried this quiz: http://aspergerstest.net/aq-test/
    @mheredge do you really think that he is an autistic person?

In Pakistan, there is a person who looks similar to him and people call him Mr. Pak Bean.

I think he displaces certain autistic tendencies @Bubbly. I'm willing to bet he'd score very high on the quiz.

Wow, Mr Pak Bean looks the spitting image of Mr Bean!
    @mheredge yes may be. But, I wouldn't judge him due to his character. This person is really famous in Pakistan because of his resemblance with Mr. Bean.
    Does he do shows similar to the British Mr Bean @Bubbly? DO people in Pakistan find this funny too? I always thought that Mr Bean was a peculiarly British thing. There are some very eccentric people in the UK.
    @mheredge he worked in an advertisement where he tried to copy Mr. Bean. Rest, I didn't see his any video where he mimicked Mr. Bean.

If you search for mr. Pak Bean you can find much more videos of his. Here are a few @Bubbly @mheredge

Are there Pakistani lookalikes for everyone @Bubbly?
    edited November 2016
    @Frank thanks for sharing these videos. This person has some resemblance with Mr. Bean but I don't think he got that level of fame.

hahahaha, no idea who makes these videos for getting some popularity. Fawad Khan doesn't look like Tom Cruise.
    No, but Fawad Khan looks a lot more handsome, don't you think @Bubbly?
    @mheredge yes he is. He is now a superstar in India as well but due to some recent crisis, he was asked to leave the country.
    Oh? What did he do @Bubbly? To be asked to leave the country is pretty serious.
    @mheredge he did nothing. He is Pakistani so whenever there is a political turmoil between these countries, things go against some artists!
    There's a Nepalese girl who like the Pakistani tea seller has shot to fame because someone snapped her photo and it's gone viral on Facebook. She's pretty but most Nepalese girls are at least as attractive, so she was just very lucky.
    I was watching an episode of Mr. Bean (Cartoon series) with my niece. She called him 'uncle', I don't know why!? :)