Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

News Round Up 218

pridepocpridepoc Posts: 173 ✭✭✭
Tagged:

Comments

• hazel27hazel27 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
    I recommend 'Antiques Roadshow' at BBC, if you are interesting in more stories about lumber which sometimes have a great value. I like this program, because every item has a story with it.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,692 mod
    Oh dear, the news about chestnut trees is very sad. I remember when Dutch elm disease wiped out most of the elm trees.
    I can't believe he bought it for £10!
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,007 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @hazel27 may be the seller didn't know the value of this antique piece.
    @Bubbly I imagine, but it looks like piece of art!
    @hazel27 yes it is. Who knows what is the story behind!
    Wow that's a bargain. I have a few nice things in my attic in London but unfortunately it is a lot of hassle to try and retrieve them right now. I have a Ming jar that is worth a few hundred pounds but it is a bit big to easily pack in my bag and carry on the plane as handluggage!
    @mheredge keep them with you and after sometimes they will be taken as antique pieces. ;)

The trend of selling and buying of antique pieces is really rising up but who knows what is the reality behind!
    I did manage to retrieve a few little things my mother was looking after for me @Bubbly. I hope I don't break them on the flight back to Nice tomorrow!
    @mheredge take care of them as these are priceless things by all means because they are associated with the feelings you hold for them!
    Actually I don't feel sentimental about them any more @Bubbly. My mother accidentally dropped one little pot and broke off the top of a delicate glass lid but it really doesn't matter at all. They are just things.

My sister came home from her trip to Grenada yesterday and wanted to use a new mug she'd bought there as a souvenir. She discovered tea running all over the table and found the mug was leaking. Maybe it had been damaged on the journey home, but there was a crack along the side of it.
This discussion has been closed.