Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Do you have any Quotes to share?

mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 8 in Quotes
Just share a good quote that is related with your past experience or just interesting to you.

You can also explain what the quote means to you.
Try answering these questions:-

1. What do you understand from the quote?

2. How do you think the quote is relevant to you?
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,050 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    What you seek is seeking you. Rumi :)

BTW-there is a separate section for different types of quotes.
    http://learn-english-forum.org/categories/quotes
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭
    OK will explore that section as well.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,427 mod
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people. (GreenMedInfo.com)
    LOL! @mheredge
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,427 mod
    It seems very apt these days, what with all the politics of Brexit and Trump @mohit_singh.
    i didn't know much about world politics but one thing i can say that i didn't like Donald Trump.He used to make hateful speechs that is not good for world peace.
  • GalalGalal Posts: 15 ✭✭
    You will be a great when you achieve a great things. But if you can't do the small things so you deserve the death.While leaders are the people break the mountain rock to make thier way so the great and small people come follow them
  • mayesmayomayesmayo Posts: 5
    “There is no secret to balance. You just have to feel the waves.”

Darwi Odrade.
    A dream is not that you see in sleep. A dream is something that does not let you sleep. By A.P.J Abdul Kalam

• John23John23 Posts: 11 ✭✭
    First steps are always the hardest but until they are taken the notion of progress remains only a notion and not an achievement.
  • CamvelCamvel Posts: 65 ✭✭
    "We have two life. The second begins when we realize that there is only one"
    I think that it's a very beautiful quote. She show the maturity over the age, first the carefree and then the fear of death.
    I'm not sure for the orthography because I know it only in French... So sorry if it's not that.
  • prateekprateek Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    " Success is nothing more than a few simple disciplines, practiced every day."
    I find this quote motivating for me to work every day and follow my schedule.
  • MariusFurtunaMariusFurtuna Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Constantin Noica (Romanian philosopher): ”In an authentic school, not known who gives and who receives”. That means that a real teacher must learn, permanently, from his students. I hope I will teach in a such school sometime in the future..
    Thank you, folks, for such a wonderful quotes. I really appreciate your efforts. Keep going.
    @John23 @Camvel @prateek @MariusFurtuna
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
    @mohit_singh @John23 @Camvel @prateek @MariusFurtuna

"You can’t do everything for everybody in every situation. Do what you can, and do it with a joyful heart."
    @takafromtokyo
    Wonderful quote ! Can you tell us what it means for you ?
    @Camvel

It means you should be conscious and intentional on how to spend your time. When you've chosen what to do, don't take it too seriously or don't put too much pressure on yourself to do so. Instead, do it with joy.

Isn't it a wonderful reminder? Especially when you have lots of things to do and it's obvious that you can't get everything done?
    @takafromtokyo @mohit_singh @Camvel @Paulette
    " The quieter you become the more you can hear."
    prateek said:

@takafromtokyo @mohit_singh @Camvel @Paulette

" The quieter you become the more you can hear."

Don't you ever think of roaring sometimes? I do it sometimes! But I listen first and do it more carefully than speaking.
    Thank you for Nice quote @prateek
    @mohit_singh

Yeah, everybody roars sometimes except great Saints and Monks. They understand the correlation between "being quiet" and "life". That is why they are the great wise person. Anyway, this quote I have read from the "backtrack OS" wallpaper when I was using it for software penetration and security test and it is said perfectly in the "backtrack Linux OS" because computer security developer should be quieter to know the security vulnerability in respective software.
    @mohit_singh @prateek

I agree with you, mohit. We should let out a roar sometimes! That's one healthy way to reduce our stress.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @prateek @takafromtokyo @mohit_singh

Charles Dickens
    Have a heart that never hardens, a good temper that never ceases and a touch that nobody hurts.

Try to understanding every man en say against the persons you meet "man I see something good in you" and try to remain happy in all work you do and at night before you sleep, look in your heart and I hope you can say I have hurt nobody.
    @Paulette
    I like it ! Poetic and beautiful, it's a very nice quote.
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those of us who are not great with people, we figure that silence is always the safest bet. If you're an introvert, you spend so much of your time wishing that other people would just shut the hell up that you figure you're doing everyone a favor.ーDavid Wong
  • Indu07Indu07 Posts: 116 ✭✭
    When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
    -Paulo Coelho
  • RallouRallou Posts: 5
    “the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes “Awww!”... Jack Kerouac :smile:
  • pengshaoyongpengshaoyong Posts: 22 ✭✭
    There is a kind of beauty in imperfection.​
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11
    @takafromtokyo @prateek @mohit_singh @jackelliot

The huge difference between theory and practice.
    [Or: "It's easier said than done ."

* Self try to live and act according to the theories that are expressed or which are asked, sometimes requires effort. For example, respect the traffic code or comply with all rules of a company or school ......
    -
    * We should do everything necessary to realize the stated ideals and to do good.
    -
    * "People give promises, follow ideals, guidelines and agreements of good theories ... they can work like compasses.
    Thus, they have the most chance to succeed to reduce the gap between word an deed "
    -
    * But finally I think "I myself am no greater hero than the average mortal
    in narrowing the gap between "word and deed".
  • yanglishyanglish Posts: 15 ✭✭
    "There is no cosmetic for beauty like happiness." Lady Blessington

"Some people feel the rain, others just get wet" Bob Marley