Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

IELTS experience!!!

navidafrasiabiannavidafrasiabian Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭
Hi dear forumers,
Who has participated in Ielts exam?!
Please write down how it was like
And
If you have any advice for those who are going to do the exam share it with them!!!!

Comments

• BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Navid, yesterday in LESC session, we talked about it. @Rema suggested that we should keep a session specifically from IELTS exam point of view. I have no idea about it but Marko shared Murphy's book and I found it very interesting. If you have any suggestions related to this idea, please share it so that we can get more clarity before we finalize a session on it.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,335 mod
    I haven't taken either IELTS or TOEFL before. But as far as I know, the highest score that an examiner could get is Band 9? @navidafrasiabian
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,052 mod
    I have a lot of IELTS experience. I can try my best to help here. It's not so much about English as about techniques to get the answers right! (This is where I think it differs a lot from the equivalent French language exams, which are much more a test of the language. )

I think I have only come across one or two students who managed to score 8.5 or 9 @kindgnice.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,765 mod
    I was and am too dumb to do this, @navidafrasiabian .
    I don't believe you @april. But there's not a lot of point doing it unless you are planning to study or work in a country like the UK or Australia.
  • navidafrasiabiannavidafrasiabian Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭
    There are a lot of things to talk about dear @Bubbly .For instance, if IELTS exam is a good way for measuring participant's English knowledge or not and if it is so what we should do to get a great mark, which skill is harder than others to cope with, is it necessary to go to class to prepare yourself , which books are the best to study and so forth.
    And one last thing, I have to be in that session or even I like to be the host of it so I ask you to tell me several days before then I find time for it.
    You can recommend those books which you think can help others to get a great score!!
    @Luty , @KDS , @211988 , @Mwe4000 , @annguyenthienit , @Just-Learn , @piyush , @Barbi
  • alizeshanalizeshan Posts: 6
    I did my IELTS in 2015 and secured 6 bands, not so good anyhow.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,335 mod
    Hello @navidafrasiabian!
    Our friend @Karrar would like to ask some references you've used from IELTS exam? Thanks. ;)
    edited October 2016
    Why don't you conduct a session through the platform of LESC on IELTS? @navidafrasiabian

There are a lot of things to talk about dear @Bubbly .For instance, if IELTS exam is a good way for measuring participant's English knowledge or not and if it is so what we should do to get a great mark, which skill is harder than others to cope with, is it necessary to go to class to prepare yourself , which books are the best to study and so forth.
    And one last thing, I have to be in that session or even I like to be the host of it so I ask you to tell me several days before then I find time for it.

Hi dear @Karrar ,
    as much as I am concerned you are going to take TOEFL exam and Unfortunately, I don't know about it. If u have any specific question about English study and books that can help you improve your English feel free to ask and whenever u decide to participate in IELTS tell me and I will do my best to help you!!
    Besides we talk about it all the time here and u are welcome to take part!
    It would be my pleasure @Bubbly !!
    I do that as soon as possible!!
    @navidafrasiabian I am looking forward to it. :)
  • Just-LearnJust-Learn Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    I have never done IELTS neither TOEFL @navidafrasiabian ! And I'm really interested to know more about it! I had a colleague who has done IELTS and she just has prepared in one month by herself I guess and could manage to succeed from the first try!
  • eshraqeshraq Posts: 7
    I also need to take IELTS exam. I don't know how long should I practice before take it ? Is 1 month enough? How can I get a good score?
  • sohnisohni Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Yeah I also want to know how to study for ielts
    I think it is quite tough to try to prepare for the IELTS by yourself @Just-Learn as it is not just about how good your English is, but knowing the techniques to answer the questions.

For example you need to be able to read fast, skimming and scanning, to have time to answer all the questions. Searching for keywords and words that mean the same, as questions don't use the same words as you'll find in the text you are reading. Writing too, requires organisation and focus on what is being asked. It's almost all about technique.
  • cm1685cm1685 Posts: 2
    I've just started recording some videos for my friends learning English, to help with pronunciation. If you need practise with speaking English, try this one on tongue twisters!! youtube.com/watch?v=A3wvm_MXeUM
  • 211988211988 Posts: 62 ✭✭
    through my study my professor ask me to take course about learn some idioms related to social work not general English because in social work you need to translate first then you need to speak and introduce solutions to any problem
  • 211988211988 Posts: 62 ✭✭
    @mheredge I'll try to explain to you first every student should translate text related to some phenomenon in society like slums,divorce ,family, then try to speak about every phenomena and introduce solution. it's looks like discussion and we are usually using idioms related to social work and don't study any grammar and conversation
    WHat the teachers are looking for @211988, is that you have an in depth understanding of vocabulary relating to these topics. The fault many students make is that they describe things using simple language that isn't really demonstrating fluency.