Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Still not your cup of tea?

aprilapril ModeratorPosts: 9,908 mod
edited October 2016 in In the News
For those who don't like to take selfie; you can't get away anymore from it.
Next year, Mastercard Belgium will start payment using selfie as ID.
You need to give a wink to yourself though.
Honestly, I don't really like this idea.

Cheeesseee!

Comments

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,327 mod
    It's a bit of a strange idea, but so long as it is going to be secure I don't suppose I see too much of a problem with it.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,908 mod
    They said that it's secure, @GemmaRowlands but the idea that I have to take selfie (with one eye closed) everytime makes me shudder.
    It's okay if I do online shopping and just take selfie at home, but if I have to use Mastercard in the shop? OMG! :D
    I have to prepare myself that I'll look good in the picture. :D
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might stop using the credit card though..:D
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,954 mod
    What a horrendous idea! Why on earth do you have to wink? (Maybe it's to stop people from using masks, but I don't get it.

PS - ... you can't get away from it anymore.
    april said:

They said that it's secure, @GemmaRowlands but the idea that I have to take selfie (with one eye closed) everytime makes me shudder.
    It's okay if I do online shopping and just take selfie at home, but if I have to use Mastercard in the shop? OMG! :D
    I have to prepare myself that I'll look good in the picture. :D

Yes, I think it would be very embarrassing indeed! But if it was something that everyone was doing, that might make it a little bit more normal!
  • ICEBERGICEBERG Posts: 32 ✭✭
    What is the purpose of this idea? I don't think it is easier to pay than with your credit card.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,914 mod
    You don't surprise me @April, but I can't think of a worse way to identify myself. My passport photo looks nothing like me so I'm not sure if it would work well for me.
    Lynne said:

What a horrendous idea! Why on earth do you have to wink? (Maybe it's to stop people from using masks, but I don't get it.

PS - ... you can't get away from it anymore.

Thanks, @Lynne .
    They said that a wink is necessary to avoid criminal takes your picture and uses it as ID.

Let me try to translate the information. :)
    Here we go:

How does it work exactly? You look shortly in your smartphone, wink once and your payment is done.
    MasterCard doesn't really take a picture, but it changes the information in a code.
    No face reconstruction is possible, MasterCard promises.

(Honestly, I don't really understand what they want to say here)

Oh the wink is necessary to avoid other people take a picture of you and use it to hack your account.

Hmm, it doesn't sound reassuring, does it?
    I wonder which part of my face is important to identify myself actually.
    I don't know anything about them, but I've seen that there are some ways of verifying your identity probably using a similar idea. I have to say that I don't believe that this information might not get stored somewhere and I don't even see much point in the exercise unless they have something already saved to compare your image with so they can confirm your identity. Is this a case of Big Brother again @april ?
  • NazerkeNazerke Posts: 80 ✭✭
    It's funny, sometimes when people take a photo for passport, they don't like their photograph. This is a great opportunity for many people, more precisely for girls to choose the better photo.
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 242 ✭✭
    What will be if I were to take selfie when I had had a beard and now I am shaved. It would not allow me to pay :). In this way many banks and institution will be have an enormous amount of our data.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hahaha. I don't take selfies. So quite irrelevant information for me. But, I still wonder what will get the company out of this idea.
    Nazerke said:

It's funny, sometimes when people take a photo for passport, they don't like their photograph. This is a great opportunity for many people, more precisely for girls to choose the better photo.

I actually do have a really nice passport photo that I had taken in readiness to renew my passport. The only trouble is I haven't had to use it yet as I seem to have been very good at using up all the spare spaces on previous pages, so I still have three pages left to go.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,954 mod
    @nomad81 - Good point, but hopefully I won't have that problem. ;)
    I prefer taking photos with a camera which I think is far better used pointing away from myself!
  • nidhiinidhii Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭
    It mean if your cell phone camera is not working properly then it is actually you have issue with your credit card.
    I think they will have to come up with a better idea than using selfies to verify credit card transactions @nidhii. I don't have a credit card and haven't had one for the past 11 years. I can't say this has ever caused me any problem.
    @mheredge I am really suprised to know that you don't have credit card as.you travel a lot and nowadays it is must to have credit card particularly if you are out of town .But you are a worth example to be follow .And yes people did manage their money even before this concept of plastic money.
    I do have a debit card @nidhii. This is much easier to manage as it is almost like cash in the sense the money goes out from your account immediately. In a sense it works like a credit card but with the advantage that you can't get into debt.
    We (in Belgium) can use our debit card only for some countries in EU. If we want to use it in Asia for example, we have to ask the bank and only for a limited period.
    I think we can use debit cards for any period of time, but only as long as we notify the bank of where we will be using it @april. For instance, I never had any problems with using it all the time while in Nepal, but got caught out once or twice in India if I forgot to say I'd be travelling there.
  • abhishekb9099abhishekb9099 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge Its good that you use debit cards instead of credit card, but for safer side you should have one but if you have 2-3 debit cards with you having enough bank balance then its okay.
  • hazel27hazel27 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭
    From my point of view you spend much more money if you paid by debit card than by cash. I don't know, you are much more considering about what you are buying if you have limit of money, aren't you?
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭✭
    @hazel27
    I thinks so, too. That's why even though I carry a credit card and a debit card, I don't acutally use them.
    Oh I wouldn't carry these around if you don't use them @takafromtokyo. What if you lose them or have them stolen? Then they are such a hassle to stop and replace.
    Have you seen this @Bubbly? It seems that a tea seller from Islamabad has become a pin-up model. With his drop-dead-gorgeous looks, I think he will do a lot better in the modelling business than selling tea. What do you reckon ladies? @Shiny03, @Hermine, @takafromtokyo, @Zom, @hazel27, @nidhii, @april, @GemmaRowlands.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/19/blue-eyed-tea-seller-arshad-khan-becomes-social-media-sensation-in-india-and-pakistan?CMP=fb_gu

@mheredge Yes this guy have a gorgeous look and can be super model depend upon his ability also. I heard this type of news many times that some auto ricshaw driver singing video gone viral and he got offer from some renowned singer.But according to me this kind of fame doesn't last long .It is only for short time bcoz beside look you need talent .You can get opportunity by your look but you can leave a mark in your profession only by your hard work and talent . There is superstar of Tollywood industry in India name Rajnikanth who still play a role of Hero at age of 60 and have a great following in India and I never understand what he got that make him hero.So what I can say is that Talent beats look although you can get easy start by look but you can remain in top only by talent only.
    nomad81 said:

What will be if I were to take selfie when I had had a beard and now I am shaved. It would not allow me to pay :). In this way many banks and institution will be have an enormous amount of our data.

That is an excellent question! But I assume there will be lots of measurements taken which will confirm that it is still our face.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge Yes I watched him on a news channel. His shop is near to my office. He has become a celebrity now. People are taking selfies with him! He should be in the showbiz as he is really an attractive person.
This discussion has been closed.