Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On this breezy October morn, I walk
in the swift shadows of cloud-cursing rooks,
watching the world wake on the horizon.
Leo Yankevich
All houses wherein men have lived and died
Are haunted houses. Through the open doors
The harmless phantoms on their errands glide,
With feet that make no sound upon the floors.

We meet them at the doorway, on the stair,
Along the passages they come and go,
Impalpable impressions on the air,
A sense of something moving to and fro.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

They are so cute!

aprilapril ModeratorPosts: 10,199 mod
edited September 2016 in Archived News 2016

23 baby pandas which were born in 2016, together in the pictures.
They are so cute <3

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-30/panda-cubs-make-debut/7892968

Comments

• kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,646 mod
    Indeed. :)
  • ScottScott Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
    They are cuter than cute! Really cute cute!
  • nidhiinidhii Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    They are adorable.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,481 mod
    Twenty three all in one place @april?
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,527 mod
    Wow, they are lovely. And I think that baby pandas are extra special too, because they are endangered.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,199 mod
    edited September 2016
    23 were born in the same place, in Cheng Du and another four in another countries, @mheredge among others one in Belgium, which is called Tian Bao :) .
    Post edited by april on
    edited October 2016

Wow, they are lovely. And I think that baby pandas are extra special too, because they are endangered.

Thank to this breeding program they can dowgrade the classification to vulnerable, @GemmaRowlands .
    Post edited by april on
    That's right @april, I was amazed to hear that they were coming off the endangered list. I haven't checked, but how many do they have to be in order not to be classed as endangered any more? I was surprised that there can be all that many pandas around in the world. And does this only count those in the wild or those in captivity too?
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So adorable :love:
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,527 mod
    mheredge said:

That's right @april, I was amazed to hear that they were coming off the endangered list. I haven't checked, but how many do they have to be in order not to be classed as endangered any more? I was surprised that there can be all that many pandas around in the world. And does this only count those in the wild or those in captivity too?

I'm not sure if there have to be a specific number as the sole decider on whether they're endangered or not. It is also to do with breeding programmes, and the percentage change in numbers both in the wild and in captivity, so there are a couple of things that are taken into account.
    Breeding programmes suggest they are not viable in the wild though. It would be interesting to see what the criteria are for the designation @GemmaRowlands. I'm sure it is well defined somewhere.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,522 mod
    Bees have been added to the list in the US for the first time.

https://www.cnet.com/news/bees-make-us-endangered-species-list-for-first-time/

Allegedly, Albert Einstein said:-

If the bee disappeared off the face of the Earth, man would only have four years left to live.

edited October 2016
    Lynne said:

Bees have been added to the list in the US for the first time.

https://www.cnet.com/news/bees-make-us-endangered-species-list-for-first-time/

Allegedly, Albert Einstein said:-

If the bee disappeared off the face of the Earth, man would only have four years left to live.

It's true about the bees. I've been asking the bee-keeper here since a year if I can buy any honey and everytime he says: "No, the bees are dead"
    It's so depressing, not only for me but especially for the flowers!
    It's a problem everywhere @april. My friends in the Himalayas used to have lots of bees and they collected loads of really delicious mountain honey, but nowadays, even up there where there's no pollution or disturbance, they say the bees are not so plentiful.

These pictures are as cute as they are amusing:

http://www.sadanduseless.com/2016/10/comedy-wildlife/
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ibex is one animal that is getting extinct in norther areas of Pakistan. Recently, there was a campaign run by GB government to save this animal.

Is it being hunted for its meat or its horns @Bubbly?
    @mheredge I think it is because of its horns.
    That's such a shame. Poachers should be punished @Bubbly. Unfortunately there is always a high demand for these things from the Chinese for medicines.
    @mheredge it may be a valid point as many Chinese companies have proper setup in the northern areas where they work on different fields especially health and mining.
  • WookieWookie Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Pandas may be cute , but IMHO Axolotls beats them overwhelmingly :) .
    Tell us more about that, @Wookie .
    Mexican walking fish? Really @Wookie? I'm not sure I fancy cuddling up to one of these.

@mheredge a bit different creature! I wonder how many species of fishes are there that researchers need to explore.
  • Shishio13Shishio13 Posts: 96 ✭✭
    The survival strategy of pandas is simply be very cute and wait for somebody whom love them :P
    @mheredge Why you choose that inappropriate photo? @april Long time ago I was walking in shopping centre when suddenly I watched this cute monster. The axolotl smiled to me and ate his prey :D That's my short history.
    BTW (offtopic): Can someone give me link with tutorial how to use commends like @username ? I searched forum and nothing :(
    But you can't cuddle an axolotl, @Wookie . :D
    Wookie said:

BTW (offtopic): Can someone give me link with tutorial how to use commends like @username ? I searched forum and nothing :(

You have used that @username, @Wookie and it works.
    @april Oh , ok. I don't see it on my own post , so it misleads me :) Thanks for help. P.S. I cannot hug him , but we're talking about cuteness , so cuddling is not correct argument here :D But you're right! It's sad.
    I'm not sure I find fish very cute @Wookie.
This discussion has been closed.