Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Do you wear glasses or contact lenses?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 4,677 mod
I am being fitted with contact lenses today, and it made me wonder what other people might prefer. I have never tried contact lenses before, but I think that they might be easier for me!

Is there anyone here who has experience of both, who could help me to decide which one might be best?

Comments

• GlaucoftGlaucoft Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Some years ago I wore glasses nowadays I wear contact lenses.
    I think wear lenses we could be better, is easiest to do some activities, for example, to watch a 3D movie ;-)
    The glasses we need to take care to don't dirty the glass.
    In the summer, if you like, you need to have a glasses with black lens and other with eyeglasses or a twice in one.
    I use lens the most part of time, almost aways LOL, but I have a glasses to backup.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,726 mod
    I wore contact lens for about 25years from when I was 16 @GemmaRowlands. If you can manage with soft lens, then all the better but they were no use for me. Eventually I had laser treatment. It took a long time to convince myself, but I went to Moorfields to have this done by probably the best there is. It was the best thing I ever did. I think contact lens are fine as long as you're not in a dusty environment, go high (altitude) or do a lot of swimming.
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wear both of them: glasses and hard contact lenses. I think hard lenses are better than soft lenses, because
    they help your eyes breathe. Soft lenses would dry out your eyes and make them tired. In addition, soft contact
    lenses are so big that you have to wide up your eyelids to fit them which would loosen the muscles around the
    eyes and make you look older.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,677 mod
    Glaucoft said:

Some years ago I wore glasses nowadays I wear contact lenses.

I think wear lenses we could be better, is easiest to do some activities, for example, to watch a 3D movie ;-)

The glasses we need to take care to don't dirty the glass.

In the summer, if you like, you need to have a glasses with black lens and other with eyeglasses or a twice in one.

I use lens the most part of time, almost aways LOL, but I have a glasses to backup.

I think I want to do it to make it easier to do some things; that is one of the main reasons that I want to try them!
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    I prefer wear a glasses and I could not wear a contact lenses because I don't manage to put them on my eyes.
    nomad81 said:

I prefer wear a glasses and I could not wear a contact lenses because I don't manage to put them on my eyes.

Have you tried contact lenses before, then? I just feel that they will be easier and more convenient for me, but I really hope that I am right in what I say!
    Shiny03 wrote: »
    I wear both of them: glasses and hard contact lenses. I think hard lenses are better than soft lenses, because
    they help your eyes breathe. Soft lenses would dry out your eyes and make them tired. In addition, soft contact
    lenses are so big that you have to wide up your eyelids to fit them which would loosen the muscles around the

Hard lens are a lot better than they used to be but I always thought that soft ones allowed the eye to breathe much better than even gas permeable hard lens. But I'm probably 12 years out of date, as that's when I gave up lens and had my laser treatment.

I'm now having to wear reading glasses sometimes though.
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands My friend prefers contact lenses because it isa more comfortable for him. Besides he wore them when we had played in football. For me contact lenses are difficult to wear and I often have a feeling of dry eyes.
    nomad81 said:

@GemmaRowlands My friend prefers contact lenses because it isa more comfortable for him. Besides he wore them when we had played in football. For me contact lenses are difficult to wear and I often have a feeling of dry eyes.

Yes, I like the idea of being able to play sports in my lenses without having to change out of them.
    I used to hate it when the wind was blowing as I was sure that I saw Frank lurking in the shed.
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mheredge said:

Shiny03 wrote: »

Hard lens are a lot better than they used to be but I always thought that soft ones allowed the eye to breathe much better than even gas permeable hard lens. But I'm probably 12 years out of date, as that's when I gave up lens and had my laser treatment.

I'm now having to wear reading glasses sometimes though.

Interesting. The only reason people would like to wear soft lenses is they are colored which would change
    or enhance your eye color and create a different look.
    Do you need a prescription for contact lenses? We do.
    I tried my lenses for the first time today and, wow, they were so uncomfortable and I really couldn't see! But I am hoping that I am going to get used to them over time.
    It won't take long @GemmaRowlands. The thing to do is to build up the amount of time each day. Soon you won't even notice that you are wearing them.
    mheredge said:

It won't take long @GemmaRowlands. The thing to do is to build up the amount of time each day. Soon you won't even notice that you are wearing them.

I hope that is true, but the only problem is I don't feel I can drive in them yet as I'm not used to them, and I need to drive all the time, so I don't know when I can try them again!
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,007 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just sunglasses! B)
    I hate wearing glasses so much @Bubbly, I rarely wear sunglasses.
    @mheredge why is it so? Sun glasses protect your eyes from the heat.
  • icha_15icha_15 Posts: 122 ✭✭
    I ever wore sunglasses when I was in college, I thought wearing sunglasses more simple than contact lenses. But for long time ago I checked my eyes to optical store and the result showed that was my eyes normal.
    I didn’t know how it happened and till nowadays I didn’t have any problems with my eyes and I hope not, surely.
    Thus, I prefer wear sunglasses than contact lenses thought my nose couldn’t keep it in the proper place, I meant I have pug nose ^_^.
    icha_15 said:

I ever wore sunglasses when I was in college, I thought wearing sunglasses more simple than contact lenses. But for long time ago I checked my eyes to optical store and the result showed that was my eyes normal.

I didn’t know how it happened and till nowadays I didn’t have any problems with my eyes and I hope not, surely.

Thus, I prefer wear sunglasses than contact lenses thought my nose couldn’t keep it in the proper place, I meant I have pug nose ^_^.

The glasses sit strangely on my face too - a few friends have joked that I must have a crooked face!
    Do you really mean sunglasses @icha_15? Sunglasses are only needed in the bright sun. Some people do get prescription sunglasses though, if they are short sighted and need to wear glasses to see things in a distance.
    mheredge said:

Do you really mean sunglasses @icha_15? Sunglasses are only needed in the bright sun. Some people do get prescription sunglasses though, if they are short sighted and need to wear glasses to see things in a distance.

I have prescription sunglasses, and it is annoying as I have to change my eyewear every time I go in and out of buildings!
    @GemmaRowlands I don't wear sunglasses regularly. But, I do buy some stylish sunglasses just to keep them in my bag.
    Bubbly said:

@GemmaRowlands I don't wear sunglasses regularly. But, I do buy some stylish sunglasses just to keep them in my bag.

See, I can't really do that - because mine have to have prescription lenses, so they can't be that stylish, I just have to wear whatever I am able to get!
    @GemmaRowlands I see. So is it either hyperopia or myopia?
    Bubbly said:

@GemmaRowlands I see. So is it either hyperopia or myopia?

I have astigmatism, which means my eyes are a funny shape, so I just need a slight bit of correction to make me see clearly!
    @GemmaRowlands OK. It means your need a bit more care than usual.

My eye sight is perfect so no glasses so far. But, I fancy to use lenses especially of blue colour. My mother doesn't allow me for this so no chances !
    I had astigmatisms in both eyes @GemmaRowlands but that was in addition to short-sighted (myopia) which meant that soft contact lens were no use for me and I had to wear hard lens. Laser treatment was able to correct this however.
    mheredge said:

I had astigmatisms in both eyes @GemmaRowlands but that was in addition to short-sighted (myopia) which meant that soft contact lens were no use for me and I had to wear hard lens. Laser treatment was able to correct this however.

Right okay, I don't fancy the thought of surgery, but I do wish that I didn't have to wear anything! How did you find the surgery?
  • icha_15icha_15 Posts: 122 ✭✭
    Ooh...I made mistakes by writing sunglasses, thanks to correct me @GemmaRowlands. I meant glasses. I even dont have sunglasses now haha..It has broken for long time ago and I haven't bought the new one yet :D.

Right okay, I don't fancy the thought of surgery, but I do wish that I didn't have to wear anything! How did you find the surgery?

It was really quick. I had it done at Moorfields in the evening and was okay to go to work the next morning. The first few days it was a little uncomfortable sometime and you have to put in eye drops, but after a week, it is like nothing happened. I can't believe how the first morning after everything was so clear and bright.