Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

News Round Up 214

pridepocpridepoc Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
Tagged:

Comments

• BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,050 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I will record it tomorrow. Really busy these days. :)

Some sort of genetic engineering!

The Daily Express reports that Joe won first prize at the Harrogate Autumn Flower Show for his onion which weighed 15lbs 10oz and measured over a foot in height.
    Joe said: “It's brilliant. This is the first time I've won at Harrogate. I am over the moon with the prize.”
    He is a four-time world record holder and grew the world's largest carrot in 2007.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,427 mod
    Those who have kicked the habit now double the number still hooked on it.

Just 16.9% of the population now smoke, the lowest rate since records began. 7.2 million still light up but 14.6 million have quit.

Professor Kevin Fenton from Public Health England said: “Alongside unhealthy diet, smoking is the biggest cause of preventable early death in England, accounting for more than 78,000 deaths a year.

“Quitters will soon see they have reduced blood pressure, easier breathing and better circulation. Stopping smoking is the best thing a smoker can do to improve their health.”

Good news that so many people are giving up smoking @GemmaRowlands. Maybe this is something to pass on to your friend who's trying to kick the habit. I don't know what the figures are in France but it seems a lot of people here haven't thought about quitting.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,050 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge but don't you think that in general smoking is becoming common everyone.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,383 mod
    Imagine trying to chop that onion! You would need an axe.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,427 mod
    I don't see as many smokers in the UK as I used to @Bubbly and I have rarely come across American smokers. I think in many places it is a downward trend as more people are appreciating the health risks.
This discussion has been closed.