Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

News Round Up 214

pridepocpridepoc Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

Comments

• BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,636 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I will record it tomorrow. Really busy these days. :)

Some sort of genetic engineering!

The Daily Express reports that Joe won first prize at the Harrogate Autumn Flower Show for his onion which weighed 15lbs 10oz and measured over a foot in height.
    Joe said: “It's brilliant. This is the first time I've won at Harrogate. I am over the moon with the prize.”
    He is a four-time world record holder and grew the world's largest carrot in 2007.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,402 mod
    Those who have kicked the habit now double the number still hooked on it.

Just 16.9% of the population now smoke, the lowest rate since records began. 7.2 million still light up but 14.6 million have quit.

Professor Kevin Fenton from Public Health England said: “Alongside unhealthy diet, smoking is the biggest cause of preventable early death in England, accounting for more than 78,000 deaths a year.

“Quitters will soon see they have reduced blood pressure, easier breathing and better circulation. Stopping smoking is the best thing a smoker can do to improve their health.”

Good news that so many people are giving up smoking @GemmaRowlands. Maybe this is something to pass on to your friend who's trying to kick the habit. I don't know what the figures are in France but it seems a lot of people here haven't thought about quitting.
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,636 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge but don't you think that in general smoking is becoming common everyone.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,478 mod
    Imagine trying to chop that onion! You would need an axe.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,402 mod
    I don't see as many smokers in the UK as I used to @Bubbly and I have rarely come across American smokers. I think in many places it is a downward trend as more people are appreciating the health risks.
This discussion has been closed.