Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Your diary in LE forum

Comments

• HelvioHelvio Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately I don't have this choice @Lynne.
    And ride a motorbike on traffic is very cool. image
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,065 mod
    Some employers don't want to trust their employees to work from home but it's usually the case that they get far more work out of their staff when they do.
    Hi diary,
    I am thinking about tell @Lynne my wish of earning a 'disagree badge', because I have 5 disagree here in this forum. And I think that disagreeing and showing our points of view we will able to agree one another.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,631 mod
    edited November 2013
    @Helvio - If an "agree" badge gives you points, what would a disagree badge do?

We have a saying:-

Be careful what you wish for.

PS - *Riding a motorbike in traffic is very cool.
    But what are these brownie points about? I've received messages to say I've earned points but can I trade them in for anything? Wine gums or chocolate? (No, not chocolate. I'm trying to kick the habit.)
    Ha ha. Gummy bears maybe? But how many points would 1 gummy bear be worth. What's the exchange rate?

--------------------

#vocabulary

Brownie points, in modern parlance, are a hypothetical social currency, which can be acquired by doing good deeds or earning favour in the eyes of another.
    "Be careful what you wish for." I agree with this point.

But I disagree that the 'disagree badge' need to take off your points, like I have been telling I think the disagreement its a necessary part in a discussion whereby we can arrive on a common point, cuting off the edges.

I hope you all can understand my point off view, not about the 'disagree badge' it doesn't matter, but about the discussion.
    But who gets the point @Helvio - the person who disagrees or the person the person disagrees with?
    Will thepoints give some Gummy bears? :P

I think the points should goes to the person who receives the 'disagree'. Maybe not. I don't know.

but if the points go to person who disagrees I would do it all the time. =P~ =P~

But where do we see the 'agree', 'lol' flags unless we scrape the cursor over the flag row? Or is that the point, we need to look to see what other people think?
    They normally pop up when I hover my pointer anywhere in a post @mheredge.
    @mheredge, when you're in your profile you can see all of that stuff like agrees, disagrees, LOLs, awesomes, etc.
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Teacher Posts: 2,011 mod
    I think the point should go to the person you are disagreeing with! That will make up for disagreeing with them! ;)
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,772 mod
    Why actually you're all arguing about badges? I totally disagree and even agree and have to LOL. :))
    =))
    :-) April!
  • science24science24 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    same here, where is my 5 disagree badge? :D
    All people disagree with science, but science agree with them. :(( :))
    Do you know what it means if something you've eaten disagrees with you?

If something you've eaten disagrees with you, it is not very easily digestible. Baked beans often disagree with people.
    I have never been heard about baked bean. Is it taste?
  • ElfishElfish Posts: 250 ✭✭✭✭
    Dear diary,
    when my depression was gone after years of mental suffering, I started to count my blessings. I also started to realise that many people are not as lucky as I am. I'm sorry though, I can't self-deny myself to help the most people. I try to trust charities and my small donations are not much but this is something I actually can do (I just hope they are really trustworthy). I hope some day I can really do more (without self-sacrificing). Actually I hope I can offer the world something good and take pleasure in what I am doing in that way.
    Hi diary,
    Wife and sons went to house of my sister in law.
    I stay here, tasting a poor scotch.
    Hi diary
    I am getting ready for a busy day and feeling very grateful that I am able to do what I do.
    Hi Diary
    After a busy day of sightseeing yesterday in Mumbai, I'm taking a rest today. There's a limit to how many traffic jams, queues and crowds this poor little tourist can take! It's India's biggest city, but there isn't anything much to get excited about. The India Gate was smaller than I expected given it's an important symbol of India. I can't say I could get all that excited by the houses Bollywood stars lived in either. But it was a fascinating day and the people on the tour I went on with were great fun.
    Hi lazy diary,

Today my room office is almost empty, my boss and I only. Now it is easy for him to get on my feet. :P
    edited December 2013
    trying to put a image. again.

and it wasn't work.
    @Helvio,

Does he tread on your toes or get on your nerves?

I'll look into the embed problem.

PS - It isn't working. / It doesn't work. / It didn't work.

Thank you Lynne, I forgot the auxiliary verb, 'and it didn't work'.

'to get on someone's foot' means asking all the time if you have finished your work.

Is this all ready? Is this all ready? Is this all ready? :D
    That would get on my nerves.

Does he watch you like a hawk? Is he a micromanager?
    Get on my nerves. (like)

I'm exaggerating a little bit, my boss is a very goo person.
    If he watched me like a hawk I couldn't support, and I could ask him: Did you lost something here?

:-\"
    I presume you meant good and that your boss is not made of jelly! :)