Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Your diary in LE forum

Comments

• takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭
    @Grillo
    Hi, there. Happy to meet you.
    What's a "beiju"? I'm curious.

@Julee
    I've never watched the movie, but sounds like Ramanujan is really smart and bright. What did he do? What is he famous for?
  • JuleeJulee Posts: 40 ✭✭
    @takafromtokyo
    If you don't know his biography, you will certainly get stunned then.He was a self taught Mathematician living in a remote area in extreme poverty. In such a short life-span of 32 years he contributed more to mathematics than many other accomplished mathematicians.
    @Julee
    Ramanujan was a mathematician, I see. The only knowledge I have in math is what I've been taught in school. Is he someone from history or recent? Do you think what he's accomplished was also included in what I've been taught in school? I'm wondering if I had any kind of connection with his work. Maybe his works have affected my life, just that I didn't know about it.
    @takafromtokyo
    His lifespan was from 1887-1920.
    He produced almost 4000 proofs, equations and identities in pure mathematics.
    Bernoulli numbers, partition of whole numbers I think we had been taught in school.

His contribution just on high level what I know is towards: analytical theory of numbers, infinite, continued fractions,Partition of whole numbers and many other theory.

You may go through a website: (fabpeddigree)
    Oops! I am still unable to share any link :/
    @Julee
    Sounds like he really did a tremendous job in mathematics. You told me he learned mathematics by himself, and that makes me believe he was a true genius. Some people are indeed talented.

By the way, thanks for your attempt to post a link for me. If you keep adding comments, you'll be able to post links in no time! Keep exploring the site. Happy learning!!
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,141 mod
    Today I walked around the old city centre of Hoi An where there are many old buildings that are built with Chinese, Japanese and Vietnamese styles. In the afternoon I went on a cooking class to learn more about cooking local dishes that are typical of this particular area of central Vietnam.
    @mheredge
    Typical local dishes of the particular part of central Vietnam..sounds like fun to learn. Do they offer the cooking class in English?
    I changed my profile picture this morning. I wanted a kanji because I thought it would be interesting for non-Japanese members to look at it. I still want to change the color from black but I couldn't find one from the net.
    What does it mean @takafromtokyo? I think it looks very cool in black.
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 473 ✭✭✭
    @takafromtokyo
    Wow, your new picture is very cool! I agree with you. Kanjis can be really beautiful graphic designs as themselves.
    By the way, I think you can change the color by using some graphic tools. But in my opinion, the simple black and white are very good. Don't you think so?
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,428 mod
    @Julee wrote: »
    Apart from daily routine I watched a movie "The Man Who Knew Infinity". However I knew the story of Ramanujan but I keep thinking after the show : How they gain such a boundless confidence and extraordinary intelligence. Can this capabilities be achieved by a ordinary people through lot of hard work and sincerity ?
    Certainly no. They are just a present of God to the world to fill the gap of knowledge with strong intuition and intelligence.
    Feeling thoughtful.

I guess this is a Bollywood movie???
    Going off to work in a few hours. My mom made me happy after reminiscing my childhood days through her videocam. I couldn't believe that I was so importunate that time. :joy: :D
    > @kindgnice said:
    > @Julee wrote: »
    >
    > Apart from daily routine I watched a movie "The Man Who Knew Infinity". However I knew the story of Ramanujan but I keep thinking after the show : How they gain such a boundless confidence and extraordinary intelligence. Can this capabilities be achieved by a ordinary people through lot of hard work and sincerity ?
    > Certainly no. They are just a present of God to the world to fill the gap of knowledge with strong intuition and intelligence.
    > Feeling thoughtful.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I guess this is a Bollywood movie???

No its a Hollywood movie.
    @mherede @Yellowtail

「和」 means "harmony"; it's pronounced "wa" or "nagomi"
    Japan is a country of "harmony". It's one of the core values that lie at the bottom of Japanese culture. ( I want to add more explanations but I'm running out of time for now. This is the time I want my English to be better. I need to practice it more. )
    @kindgnice
    I suppose you are on your way to work by now.
    Safe trip, and try to enjoy the long trip to work because you won't be experiencing it when you change your jobs.
    Thanks for the confirmation. @Julee
    @takafromtokyo I hope to see in my next career having the same working environment I have right now. :)
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,834 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here. Mathematics is one subject that I never learned after school. It also depends on a teacher. My teacher was good but authoritative. She believed in teaching students by punishing them on their silly mistakes.

@Julee

Ramanujan was a mathematician, I see. The only knowledge I have in math is what I've been taught in school. Is he someone from history or recent? Do you think what he's accomplished was also included in what I've been taught in school? I'm wondering if I had any kind of connection with his work. Maybe his works have affected my life, just that I didn't know about it.

Last night I watched a 30 minute documentary called White Helmets, about the amazinglyrics brave Syria n's who go rescuing people buried in the bombings in Aleppo. I only found out about it after reading about George Clooney, who was promoting it when he also came out in defence of Meryl Street who Trump lamblasted recently.
    A good day visiting the ancient Hindu temples at My Son. The Cham people built them but they were lost in the jungle until a French archaeologist discovered them in the late nineteenth century. They were then badly damaged by the Americans during the Vietnam when VietCom soldiers were hiding in the ruins. Our guide's father was a soldier at the time and lucky to escape with his life. He then went south to the famous tunnels north of Saigon, where again he was lucky to survive in the hand to hand warfare there.
    I just had a quick breakfast at a noodle stand in my nearest train station. It's cold this morning so I went for a hot soba. Tasted so good!!
    @mheredge
    Wow! Your guide is surely a lucky guy, even though the fact that he had to fight in the war was not a lucky one. I can't imagine how it would be like to get caught up in a war.
    I have never heard about Cham people. Do they belong to Hindu religion ?
    Apparently so @Julee. They lived in central Vietnam until the 15th or 16th century when I think the Chinese invaded. They then migrated to the south of Vietnam so now I don't think any live in the area any more.
    I just dropped in a SUBWAY shop for a coffee break, and a guy in the kitchen was completely absorbed in scraping off scorches from the back of the window of the oven. I wonder if there's a better and easy way to do it.
    Bicarbonate of soda @takafromtokyo. This cleans everything.
    @mheredge
    What is it? Is it a kind of orange oil?
    @takafromtokyo it's a chemical (full name sodium hydrogen carbonate) and it is also used in cooking, but it very versatile. I found it quite effective unblocking my bath drain. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_bicarbonate

I need to get my watchstrap repaired. It came apart this morning. I almost feel naked without it!
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 473 ✭✭✭
    I glare at the forecast of temperature these days. Today and tomorrow, the highest temperatures are about 5 degrees. They're the coldest days in Tokyo. I can't wait for spring.
  • habbazhabbaz Posts: 17 ✭✭
    lol
    @Yellowtail
    If it rains tomorrow, it will turn into snow. It's chilly cold.

I was reading an English book and I came across a sentence: the skies are turning red and gold.

Why is it not "the sky is turning red and gold"? Isn't there only one sky above us?