Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What does it feel like to be left-handed

ChronozixChronozix Posts: 23 ✭✭
Hi.

I just want to know how other left-handed people feel, and also how right-handed people view us!
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,173 mod
    You could visit this site:-

http://www.anythinglefthanded.co.uk/
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    As a right-handed persons, It's always amazing to see a left-handed person doing something with their 'weak' hand. (Of course, it's not weak for them). You know you'd drop that hot frying pan if you tried to shake it like that lefty is doing!
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,675 mod
    I think it can be a bit awkward being a leftie, as so many tools and gadgets are designed for righthanded people.

I try to be ambidextrous as best I can.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambidexterity
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 674 ✭✭✭
    edited April 6
    I'm right-handed, and when I stir fry, I hold the frying pan with my left hand. Because I want to use my right hand to stir foods on the pan. I think there is bigger difference between dominant hand and non-dominant hand in their dexterity than their strength.

--------------------

I'm right-handed, and when I stir fry, I hold the frying pan with my left hand, because I want to use my right hand to stir the food in the pan. I think that when it comes to your dominant hand and non-dominant hand there is a bigger difference in dexterity than strength.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    @Yellowtail Yes, that's what I meant. Your 'weak' hand (in quotation marks) doesn't always refer to strength, but also how much you can do with it. It is 'weaker' in its skills and abilities than the other one. I know I could never toss vegetables in a hot skillet with my left hand like those TV chefs do! I'd throw them everywhere! :#

@mheredge Do you write it 'leftie' in British English? It's with a -y in American. Some musicians call themselves that: 'Lefty' Jones, for example, but I've never seen a 'Leftie' Jones.
    edited April 6
    Oh OK, I got it!

Speaking of 'Lefty', it reminds me of a Japanese manga Parasyte. It deals with a creature that got parasitic on a boy's right hand. The boy named it 'Miggy' that means 'right' in Japanese. But when the manga was published in English translation, in some versions, the whole images were flipped horizontally, because the original manga reads from right to left, unlike English book convention. As a result, the creature came to live in the boy's left hand, and the name was also translated into 'Lefty'.

Speaking of 'Lefties', it reminds me of a Japanese manga Parasyte. It deals with a creature that attaches itself to a boy's right hand. The boy names it 'Miggy' ('right' in Japanese). But when the manga was published in English translation, in some versions, the whole images were flipped horizontally, because the original manga reads from right to left, unlike the English book convention. As a result, the creature came to live in the boy's left hand, and the name was also translated into 'Lefty'.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • mdshamsadmdshamsad Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited April 6
    I am a right handed person I feel good to see someone with left-handed person doing something and I have heard that left-handed person are more success than right-handed..............

----------------------

I am right handed, but I enjoy watching a left-handed person doing things. I have heard that left-handed people are more successful than right-handed people.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    It's spelled both ways @Larry_the_Zebra.

A leftie can also refer to someone with left wing political views.
    edited February 19
    Ah ha,

I know lefty (with a y) to mean a left-handed person, and a leftie (with ie) to be someone with left wing political views. Therefore, there is a relationship between spelling and meaning in AmE, but not in BrE.

And you don't need to bold phrases for me. I'm a native speaker like you. B)

I'm sure you're not the only one who reads other posts @Larry_the_Zebra. I know that you know the term but I don't know if everyone else does :) .
    Oh! It's my first time to be corrected. Thank you so much @Lynne!
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 354 ✭✭✭
    In my university years there was a left-handed girl in my group. Once I noticed how she was writing and thought that she was extremely uncomfortable. She was bending her left arm in front of her very much as well as she had to tilt her body forward to reach the left side of her copybook. Yes, you may buy left-handed scissors but you still have to write from left to right, unless you write in Hebrew or Chinese/Japanese. I asked her how it was, she answered she was used to it and felt nothing special.

When I took up clay shooting I came across the 'dominant eye' issue. One eye of a person is dominant like a hand is. If a shooter's dominant eye is different from the dominant hand shooting becomes way more difficult.
  • herng12345herng12345 Posts: 6
    I'm left-handed. For me, it is like i am being forced in a world full of right-handed people. I remember that I have met a person who curiously about how left-handed handle computer especially mouse. It is hard to explain in physiologically but i would say is basically like how right-handed people handles it.
    As for writing, i always have problem on pencil or ink smear on my hand and made paper dirty. It is quite annoying. Also, during writing, i always have trouble of having right-handed person sit my left side as our elbow will accidently knock each other and caused ourselves having hard time during writing
  • mounamouna Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    I think persons who are left handed are differents,when I see them writing,they looks doing a very good things.