Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Historical insults from the Oxford Dictionary

FrankFrank ModeratorPosts: 5,354 mod
edited September 2016 in Chit Chat
Historical insults from the Oxford Dictionary

Have you ever insulted someone or are you planning to do so? Of course not! On this forum there are only nice people and undoubtedly you are one of them.

However If you ever feel the inclination to insult someone, the Oxford Dictionary offers you a few interesting historical insults. When you use these, you are at least original in the way you express yourself. It might be that your victim doesn't feel that insulted either because probably they don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about, especially when you convey your insult with a friendly amiable tone of voice.

How would you react if someone called you a flibbertigibbet, a foozle, a gammerstang, a grobian, a knuckylbonyard, a lollard, a lotterel, a mafflard, a shot-clog or a slubberdegullion? Don't these insults sound cute? It's up to you, what do you think?

Do you want to know what these insults mean? Read more about this at:
https://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2016/02/historical-insults/
Tagged:

Comments

• NazerkeNazerke Posts: 80 ✭✭
    Now that I know means of all this insult word. So if someone insulted me, to be honest, I'd take umbrage. Interestingly, a lot of words google translate couldn't translate it.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,052 mod
    My father used to use the insult 'flibbertigibbet' @Frank and might even have called my sister this. Thankfully he never directed this insult at me!
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,354 mod
    It doesn't matter as long as you don't know what it means and it's spoken with a cute smile and a soft and tender voice. Then 'flibbertigibbet' could even sound as a compliment @mheredge. You surely could say to a small child something like: 'My lovely dear little 'flibbertigibbet' what have you done now [smile, smile, kiss, kiss]...' Doesn't that sound cute if you skip the original meaning?
    It never sounded harsh @Frank. But then again, I think we were probably too young to understand what it meant.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 3,868 mod
    I always find it interesting to see how words have changed over the years. Some historical insults actually sound really funny now!
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard the word 'shot-clog' in few TV series. Rest of them are new for me. :)
    Shot-clog? What does this mean @Bubbly? I've never heard this before.
    @mheredge neither do I before I watched 'Suits'. :)
    What does it mean @Bubbly?
    Obsolete slang! Maybe the phrase is making a come back then @Bubbly.
    @mheredge may be in AmE. :) We come across many words in the old movies or TV series that seem new to us but they are obsolete. I wonder why people stopped using them.
    If you have only ever heard it in Suits, then I'm not sure it is necessarily in common usage @Bubbly.
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Frank, you have forgotten my favourite 'coxcomb'. ;)
    Well, @Lynne knows very well that I am a flibbertigibbet. ;)
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,354 mod
    edited October 2016
    Hmm, a conceited, foolish dandy; pretentious fop. Forgotten...? I guess so @Xantippe. I'm sorry!
    @Xanthippe I am sure you are familiar with many obsolete words as you are familiar with Latin. I intend not to focus on obsolete words, otherwise I will be gobbledegook.
    edited October 2016
    @Bubbly, you could be the fiend's arch-mock if you used obsolete words. ;) Why not?
    Post edited by Xanthippe on
    @Xanthippe now I am thinking....! :/
    @Xanthippe this is a historical insult of Othello. You can use any word for it from the list mentioned above. ;)

OTHELLO
    Dost thou hear, Iago?
    I will be found most cunning in my patience,
    But – dost thou hear? – most bloody.
    @Bubbly you can't be gobbledigook, but you can certainly speak it! It means gibberish (so you can't be gibberish, even if you speak it). It is also the same of a song which to me, sounds a bit like gobbledigook too.

@mheredge I cannot be till I read something that is pretty gobbledygook to me!:)
    @Bubbly, you already speak Bubblish. ;) And it is even more obscure than the kangaroo's soul. :D
    @Xanthippe the only issue is that Bubblish language is also a gobbledygook sometimes! ;)