Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Speaking in English

ChronozixChronozix Posts: 23 ✭✭
Hey everyone.
I choose to speak with an American accent. When I speak, I think that my accent sounds good, but I just recorded myself talking and you can hear that I'm French. Do you have the same problem, like you think you have a proper accent but when you listen to it it's not that good ?
Guess I need some practice !

Comments

• Rere2016Rere2016 Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Practice and practice is a great way to speak well and pick up the correct accent :)
  • ChronozixChronozix Posts: 23 ✭✭
    @Rere2016 You're right :smile:
  • darbriderdarbrider Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Practicing by yourself may not improve your accent, you need to listen to conversation and repeat / overshadow the speakers to improve. Here's a nice youtube video about improving your speaking : youtu.be/BOxiLOXVkik (sorry I can't post links here)
  • YevhenYevhen Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited January 9
    Hi @Rere2016 . Do not get me wrong, it is not a stone to your garden, but just a saying "practice, practice and practice..." means nothing. It has no sense due to lack of any context. (how to practice, what to use and why etc.)

Hi @darbrider . You are absolutely right. But people often do not believe that this method can give more than group classes or any other who-knows-what-oriented techniques. There are a lot of misconceptions about learning languages.

It took me some time to understand what really works. Moreover, I would recommend every learner to make this routine more difficult as their level gets better by asking such questions themselves. At the beginning, it is highly important to record yourself to be able to analyze and correct your questions and answers.

Only now, when we have a clear idea what to do, the triple-practice rule can be applied. I did not dig deeply trying to explain all the pros and cons, but the magic secret of speaking topic is briefly covered.

One who reads this message, challenge yourself to a one-month experiment, you will improve significantly.

@Chronozix, may we hear your accent anywhere? You may share a link to your recording in the following thread:
    www.learn-english-forum.org/discussion/4390/your-recordings#latest

By the way, take a look at this topic:
    www.learn-english-forum.org/discussion/3053/what-about-accent/p1

Som people dislike the Dutch prime minister's accent:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=937C23Wb1vw

What is your opinion about Mark Rutte's speaking?
  • nachonacho Posts: 13 ✭✭
    I feel pretty much the same. In my head everything sounds good, but when I have to say it I realise that there's much to know yet...
  • lanvylanvy Posts: 3
    Even I haven't spoken out but people can guess I from Vietnam lol :D
  • mailanmailan Posts: 16 ✭✭
    https://www.spreaker.com/episode/12661066 I speak British
  • mailanmailan Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Practice speaking will help improve pronunciation and fluency
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,105 mod
    Do you mind me asking @Chronozix, but why did you chose to speak with an American accent?
  • Practising speaking more and to be aware of mispronunciations is very important.

We have to analyse which sounds (consonants and vowels) are mispronounced. It is not uncommon that English learners would "borrow" sounds from their mother tongue when speaking English. For example, there are many types of "r" sounds; even the Brits and the Americans say the "r" sound differently. :)