Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What is the most adventurous or dangerous thing you have ever done?

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 26,462 mod
When you go on holiday, do you put your feet up to relax, or do you seek thrills and adventure? Or have you been somewhere expecting a nice easy outing only to find things go pear-shaped and you don't quite get what expected?

What is the scariest or most dangerous experience you have ever had? Have there ever been times when you have wondered 'What am I doing here?'

Last night fifty tourists got stuck overnight in cable cars up in the French Alps. Apparently some cables got tangled and not everyone could be brought down in time before nightfall. Many tourists had to be belayed down some 40m to the ground below, but those stuck higher up had to spend the night in their little cabins.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/08/110-people-stuck-on-cable-cars-in-the-french-alps?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=189559&subid=11006640&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

In this video, this guy takes off on a bicycle to find some peaks to climb in Kyrgyzstan and takes things to extremes, seriously afraid for his life at times!

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,462 mod
    What a wonderful adventure @ManLearner. And what a beautiful place. Did you meet any other people when you were going there or were you totally on your own?
  • DeucalionDeucalion Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I just remembered when I was six, once I dropped from the trailer of a running tractor. When I hit the ground I felt like I was a bag of leather with bones inside rolling on a giant grinding wheel which was the road covered with asphalt. Then I heard a wild child's cry. I stood up and ran toward the house of my grandparents. While running I realised it was me who was crying so wildly. When I entered the yard of my grandparents they got crazy of what they saw. Next morning I surveyed myself in the mirror. Much of my body and my face were covered by abrasions swabed with brilliant green. I noticed I was looking just like Mikidutsa - a little miscivious devil in our folclore.
  • ManLearnerManLearner Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭✭
    It is very beautiful and cold place @mheredge the temperature was around 0°C, while in my area temperature was more than 40 °C that time. We were on our own, but we met residents of that place, they are very sympathetic and hard working but very simple lifestyle. Moreover, their children were so fast, that they could run on mountains and ice. They said they go down the hill more often and it takes more than 5 hours each time. It was really amazing to visit that place and those people. In the picture below you can see simple clayey homes:

Oh really @Deucalion it was more dangerous than adventurous.
  • DeucalionDeucalion Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    Yah, @ManLearner, that time I concluded I'm not after such kind of thrills.
    Where is this @ManLearner?

Not so dangerous, but quite an adventure was when I went with a friend from China into Kyrgyzstan. After a bit of a runaround getting across the border (we were on foot), we were walking in the no man's land between the two countries. It was quite a long way, so we hoped we could hitch a ride to the Kyrgyz side. Two huge juggernauts driven by Mongolian drivers who were on their way to Moscow were lumbering behind us, so we flagged them down. They couldn't speak English but they took us the few kilometres to the border post where we got off and were met by our tourist company that was going to show us around Kyrgyzstan. One side of me though quite wanted to go all the way to Moscow!
    This is in Neelum valley, Kashmir, Pakistan @mheredge
  • CalixtaCalixta Posts: 28 ✭✭
    The most adventurous so far was my first solo trip last April this year. I wanted to try something new for my birthday so I hopped on a plane and went to visit something I've always wanted to see since Geography class in grade school --the perfectly cone-shaped Mayon volcano.

I can't post pictures here yet but you're free to Google it. It's beautiful. :)
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the most adventurous or dangerous thing you have ever done?

Walking across the street alone, when I was 5?

Nope, I don't have such amazing adventurous experience like yours. So jealous.:)
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,077 mod
    I abseiled down a tall building in my city for charity. It might not have been all that dangerous because there were safety measures put in place, but it was still very scary and it didn't feel safe at all!
  • NazerkeNazerke Posts: 80 ✭✭
    The Kyrgyzstan people our friends, they are our neighbours. I was in Issykkul (is the region of Kyrgyzstan), it's very beautiful place. We also have beautiful nature. This summer I and my friends climb on the mountain Tian Shan(border region of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and northwest China), on the pick Furmanova - 3200 meters above sea level. Even in summer on the top of the mountain the temperature below zero, if you're lucky you can touch a cloud. So when you stand on top of the pick you were overcome by this incredible feeling of... victory and peace. Next summer I'm going to climb on the pick Talgar which has 4979 meters above sea level. Unfortunately, I couldn't find how to add a picture.
    Calixta said:

The most adventurous so far was my first solo trip last April this year. I wanted to try something new for my birthday so I hopped on a plane and went to visit something I've always wanted to see since Geography class in grade school --the perfectly cone-shaped Mayon volcano.

I can't post pictures here yet but you're free to Google it. It's beautiful. :)

It erupted in 2013 and killed some German tourists @Calixta. But it is very attractive.

Well done you @GemmaRowlands. Was it anything like this?

@Shiny03 what adventure would you like to go on?

• CalixtaCalixta Posts: 28 ✭✭
    Thanks for posting that picture @mheredge. I was supposed to take the 5-hour trekking tour to the volcano's crater but it would mean being alone with a stranger guide so I decided to pass.

I'm sorry to hear about the 4 tourists that were killed. I just read the news article about that. I remember a couple of times when the local news was filled with threats of the volcano erupting and warnings for people to stay away. But I didn't think eruptions can happen suddenly.
    I think they usually have an idea if a volcano is going to erupt @Calixta. But some are fairly active, like Vesuvius and Etna, both in Italy.

@Nazerke did you see the video I posted? Unfortunately I hear that the guy has just recently died. I'm not sure how, but I think maybe one of his adventures went wrong.
  • NazerkeNazerke Posts: 80 ✭✭
    @mheredge Yes, I've watched it. Oh, that's terrible news. I'm so sorry.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,050 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @ManLearner Ah! You reminded me of my trip to Kashmir. It is like a heaven on earth. I want to visit Lipa valley as heard a lot about its beauty.
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most dangerous thing happened with me ,one day i ride my bike and suddenly i watched big snake and I stopped my bike and felt afraid of snake and I broken my bike on snake to stop him and I destroyed neck by stone then I tried to pulled my bike and left and I felt happy
    The most dangerous thing happened with me ,one day i ride my bike and suddenly i watched big snake and I stopped my bike and felt afraid of snake and I broken my bike on snake to stop him and I destroyed neck by stone then I tried to pulled my bike and left and I felt happy
    Khalied said:

The most dangerous thing happened to me was when one day I was riding my bike and suddenly I saw a big snake. I stopped my bike and felt afraid of it.

I broken my bike on snake to stop him and I destroyed neck by stone then I tried to pulled my bike and left and I felt happy

I'm not sure what you mean at the end. You you mean that you rode your bicycle over the snake to kill it? How did you break your bicycle?

Poor snake! What kind was it? Was it a poisonous one? Do you have a lot of dangerous snakes where you live @Khalied?

@mheredge I live in Egypt rural area
    this snake poisonous and can kill people and I want to say something about snakes don't attack anyone and you need to start first, the snakes feel afraid like people
    @mheredge thank you for sort my mistakes
    I think the biggest problem is if you come across a snake suddenly and it doesn't have time to escape @Khalied. I imagine that this is when it might attack.

There are only two species of snakes in the UK, one poisonous and the other harmless. But France has eleven species and I think three are species of vipers, so are poisonous. Apparently you can tell these snakes by the shape of the pupils of their eyes, which are vertical rather than round. I'm not sure I'd want to be that close to see!
    @mheredge I remembered a lot of accidents happened with my grandfather when I just little boy almost accident happened with snakes and his body earned anti poisonous and doctor said to my grandfather you don't need me again because your body being include anti poisonous .
    He was immune to snake venom @Khalied? Wow, that's impressive. How many kinds of poisonous snakes do you have in Egypt?
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,050 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    @Khalied eeeh! I am scared of snakes as I saw once in my village. It was a pretty long king cobra sitting under a tree in my aunt's house. My cousin killed it with a brick. But, I couldn't sleep that night because of it.
    @Bubbly cobra >:)
    our snakes so lovely not big enough but in the desert Egypt (upper Egypt) you can find dangerous snakes and I live in village green area(delta Egypt) and my city famous for bride of the Nile and I remember one day my mother try to growing some plants (rice) and the snake beside her on water and my mother move her hand to growing plants and the snake shocked when saw her and give her bit and escape away. almost people cry and cry then someone put something to stop blood and my mother go to the hospital and the doctor said you need to wait for five hours to out the poisonous from your body in the end of the story my mother said the snakes felt afraid from me but that's so useful to her body
    Bride of the Nile @Khalied? Is this a species of snake? On the web I could only find references to cobras in Egyptian history.
    @mheredge @Bubbly the bride of the Nile mean pretty place beside the Nile and this name back to some bad tradition in Egypt about every year should give the Nile pretty girl to avoid flood and that's wrong the people in ancient Egypt make celebrate about this day then through pretty girl in the Nile not any girl just pretty and give some money for her parents .The people in ancient Egypt believe in the Nile so important for life, the sun and the Nile make Egyptian believe the live after died although all the people should take all instruments to start work again if you check tombs you can say everything related to this person and you can know about his work easily and gold.
    here's the link about cobra in upper Egypt and desert but in delta Egypt just snakes
    http://www.egyptianmyths.net/cobra.htm
    Bubbly said:

@ManLearner Ah! You reminded me of my trip to Kashmir. It is like a heaven on earth. I want to visit Lipa valley as heard a lot about its beauty.

It is an amazing place @Bubbly . Because of scarcity of time, I couldn't visit other places. But I think there are a lot of places to be visited in Kashmir. I am fond of exploring Kashmir and other areas of KPK like Naran, Kaghan and also I want to visit K2 mountain.