Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for another week, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

News Round Up 211

pridepocpridepoc Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,539 mod
    I've already seen a London Underground map showing how long it takes to walk between tube stations in minutes. Maybe it was a pilot for this very sensible project. I used to walk a lot in preference to catching the overcrowded trains and in some places it might even be as quick as navigating down all the escalators and tunnels, especially in the rush hour.
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    @mheredge @Zom I tried to read magazine by this link but I can't and thinking a new idea to open old article in magazine then try to find news round up 2011 .
    http://english-magazine.org/english-reading/english-news-round-up
  • ZomZom Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Khalied, The link works fine to me.

Is it because this time there is no separation between each piece of news that you can't easily read it?
  • ZomZom Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay @Khalied, here is News Round Up #211 with a separation between each piece of news.

---
    APPARENTLY more and more of us want popular songs to be played at our funeral, says the Daily Express.
    Research compiled by Co-op Funeralcare, who quizzed 300 funeral directors and 2,000 adults, showed that increasing numbers of people are drawing up their own playlists.
    They compiled a funeral song chart which had Frank Sinatra's My Way at the top followed by Time To Say Goodbye by Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman, and Over The Rainbow by Eva Cassidy.
    Some of those questioned that said they wanted to "raise a laugh" so Monty Python's Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life is a regular choice as well as The Jam's Going Underground.

----
    An experiment is being carried out at a supermarket in Gosforth, Newcastle-upon-Tyne to provide Slow Shopping, especially designed for elderly and disabled shoppers.
    The Daily Express reports that customers at the Sainsbury's store will be able to use chairs placed at the end of aisles to allow regular opportunities to rest while shop assistants will be on hand to help.
    There will also be two help desks offering free fruit, ginger biscuits and Victoria sponge.

----
    If you're planning a visit to the UK capital, The Independent says that Transport for London (TfL) has unveiled its first official map showing how many steps it takes to walk between Tube stations.
    It has been released to encourage people to take part in daily exercise and get fit.
    Leicester Square and Covent Garden are only 400 steps apart from each other, while the walk from Kings Cross to Euston takes 1,200 steps.
    London's Mayor Sadiq Khan is quoted as saying: “We need to make it easier and more enjoyable to walk around London. We all hop on the Tube to take short journeys around central London, whether for work or when we’re out in the evening.
    “The new steps map will encourage more of us to walk these short journeys instead – it’s good for our health and it will help support London’s small businesses.”

----
    The BBC tells us that the 350th anniversary of the Great Fire of London is being commemorated with a set of six new stamps.
    Designed by comic book artist John Higgins, the stamps feature a graphic novel style and show scenes from the start spread and aftermath of the Great Fire which raged across the city from September 2-5 in 1666, destroying more than 13,000 houses and 87 churches.

----
    An English Heritage blue plaque panel has been installed at a property in Gladstone Avenue in the London suburb of Feltham, which was previously owned by the family of Queen singer Freddie Mercury.
    The Guardian reports that those attending the ceremony included Mercury’s sister Kashmira Cooke; the new culture secretary, Karen Bradley; former arts council chair and English Heritage blueplaque panel member Sir Peter Bazalgette; and Queen guitarist Brian May.
    The house's owner Ray Edwards thought the estate agent was winding him up when he was told the Bulsara family – Freddie’s birth name was Farrokh Bulsara – had previously owned the house.

Source, http://english-magazine.org/english-reading/english-news-round-up/4212-news-round-up-211
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Zom thank you I'll read from here better because I lost some words
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,868 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    @mheredge it is quite sensible but how can it helps the small businesses to grow?
    I'm not sure I understand your question @Bubbly, but if you're referring to the London Underground map, then it might be a good way to get people walking and passing (then hopefully going into) shops that they otherwise might not have seen.
    @mheredge thanks. I got it. Actually, I was thinking about the places where these small business will be setup. I think that they have a big plan now.
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking the same thing. Can I refer it to our health improving as well? (You know, 'our' small business.)
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Teacher Posts: 2,056 mod
    edited September 2016
    @Shiny03 It would improve your heart rate but your lungs would suffer!
    @Bubbly We still have to persuade people to walk! I think he should start with a better way to reduce car pollution first!
    @Khalied and @zom - Sorry it's late!

Anyway, here are the links to the recordings.
    -(normal speed)

-(slow-mo speed)
    edited September 2016
    Do any of you have a play list for you funeral? I have a couple which, I think, show the diversity of my tastes!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9ND3oghPL5M

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jqsHgkav7UM
    @amatsuscribbler Your two choices are diametrically opposed to each other.
    I smiled, felt love and peace flow through me first, but cried my heart out then. :cry:
    It's very beautiful isn't it @Shiny03
    Yes, it does.:)
    @amatsuscribbler Sadiq Khan should start it on a trial basis first. May be a good walk from one station to another. Do you think that it will really work?
    edited September 2016
    London is a big city @Bubbly, but walking between one or two Underground stations isn't difficult or so far. I used to regularly walk rather than go by Tube if it was just one or two stops away. On average, in central London at least, it's only a 10-15 minute walk between stops. Between Leicester Square and Covent Garden, it is probably only about 5 minutes. It's much more only when you get out to the suburbs.
    @mheredge I think that it is not a big deal to start this project then if distance is not longer than 5 to 10 minutes from one station to another. I hope that people will accept this change easily.
    It is good exercise too @Bubbly.
This discussion has been closed.