Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What are you making for lunch today?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,307 mod
Today I have a lot of work that I have to do, so I won't be able to stop for a proper lunch break. So I am having a snack bar and a cup of tea, and that will do until dinner time!

But I thought I would ask what you were having for lunch, as I am sure that it is more exciting than me!

So, what are you having for lunch today?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,992 mod
    I rushed out for a sandwich at lunchtime today, mindful that the electricity man might come ant time after 1pm. In fact he was very prompt and came at 1.15. I'm very glad I wasn't tardy getting back from the bakers.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,307 mod
    mheredge said:

I rushed out for a sandwich at lunchtime today, mindful that the electricity man might come ant time after 1pm. In fact he was very prompt and came at 1.15. I'm very glad I wasn't tardy getting back from the bakers.

I always find that delivery men are early when I am out, and late when I am home!

Hopefully today I will be able to find the time for a better lunch than I did yesterday.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,167 mod
    I still have some slices of wholemeal bread, but I'm not sure what I'm going to eat them with; Brie cheese or pancetta.
    My lunch will be as boring as yours, @GemmaRowlands .
    However, by way of compensation, I'm going to bake a pumpkin cake today!
    april said:

I still have some slices of wholemeal bread, but I'm not sure what I'm going to eat them with; Brie cheese or pancetta.
    My lunch will be as boring as yours, @GemmaRowlands .
    However, by way of compensation, I'm going to bake a pumpkin cake today!

Wow, please save me a slice of your cake!

I am having another boring lunch today. Oh, how I hate it when I am so busy I don't get the chance for a proper lunch!
    Correction; I didn't eat bread at all, I just ate my pumpkin cake!
    It's the first time I baked this cake and I'm happy with the result.
    There is still enough left for you, @GemmaRowlands :) .
    april said:

Correction; I didn't eat bread at all, I just ate my pumpkin cake!
    It's the first time I baked this cake and I'm happy with the result.
    There is still enough left for you, @GemmaRowlands :) .

Thanks, it's my birthday tomorrow too, so I think it would be the ideal time to have a slice of cake!
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 487 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Well, I don't cook, but here's what I've been given today: stewed salmon, buckwheat porridge and tomato salad.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 487 ✭✭✭
    Oh, yes, and some stewed cabbage.

Well, I don't cook, but here's what I've been given today: stewed salmon, buckwheat porridge and tomato salad.

Sounds lovely!

Today I went out for lunch as it is my grandparents' wedding anniversary. So I had a lovely roast dinner. I enjoyed myself, but now I am falling asleep at my desk.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    fish
    I made a salad with lettuce, endive, cucumber, tomato and some cantal cheese (a bit like really good Cheddar). As it was for picnic, I had to remember to bring cutlery and some dressing in a plastic bottle.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,058 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't take lunch so no hassle. Sometimes, I make fruit salad or chickpea salad as I like salad for a lunch.
    I had a hot chocolate and a slice of cake for lunch today, as I was meeting a friend. Not the healthiest of choices, but it was all that was available!
    I picked some basil from my herb-garden-in-a-pot and had this in a salad with some egg and cheese.
    mheredge said:

I picked some basil from my herb-garden-in-a-pot and had this in a salad with some egg and cheese.

Do you grow a lot of your own herbs? I imagine that is very rewarding, to be able to cook with things that you have actually grown yourself!
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,058 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I ate chocolate cookies with a cup of tea at lunch time. Really busy today!
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    I have a spaghetti on my lunch today. I adore it.
    Bubbly said:

I ate chocolate cookies with a cup of tea at lunch time. Really busy today!

They are my favourite type of lunches, I have to admit - though I know that they aren't the healthiest! I have a lot of lunches like that, because it's not often that I have a big enough break from work to enjoy anything else.
    I passed a shop that had a big notice on the door for fresh mozzarella cheese. I bought some and discovered that it was very much the real thing, made near Naples and the couple who have the shop are Italians selling Italian produce. So for lunch, I had a very nice tomato and mozzarella salad, garnished with some olive oil and basil leaves from my herb-garden-in-a-pot.
    mheredge said:

I passed a shop that had a big notice on the door for fresh mozzarella cheese. I bought some and discovered that it was very much the real thing, made near Naples and the couple who have the shop are Italians selling Italian produce. So for lunch, I had a very nice tomato and mozzarella salad, garnished with some olive oil and basil leaves from my herb-garden-in-a-pot.

That sounds wonderful. I love mozzarella cheese, it is beautiful, and goes so well with a number of other dishes. It is a very flexible food indeed!
    edited September 2016
    2016-09-24_05-36-09

A brunch, that was what I had today and that was pancake with strawberries and Dulce de Leche. :)
    And a mug of coffee of course. <3

• NazerkeNazerke Posts: 80 ✭✭
    @april I like a pancake too, often I eat it with cottage cheese mixed with sugar. Today I ate fish and boiled potatoes.
    Do you make pancakes yourself, @Nazerke ?
  • NazerkeNazerke Posts: 80 ✭✭
    @april Yes, I make it very well now, I remember when I cooked pancakes the first time they looked horrible.
    april said:

2016-09-24_05-36-09

A brunch, that was what I had today and that was pancake with strawberries and Dulce de Leche. :)
    And a mug of coffee of course.

That looks lovely. I could do with a cup of coffee right now, as I feel as though I need a little bit of energy to help me through a long and busy afternoon!
    My breakfast was a bit minimalist this morning (a mug of coffee and a little fromage frais). I was planning to come home for a salad lunch. However instead I grabbed a sandwich while I was out instead. It looks like today's planned lunch will now become dinner.
    mheredge said:

My breakfast was a bit minimalist this morning (a mug of coffee and a little fromage frais). I was planning to come home for a salad lunch. However instead I grabbed a sandwich while I was out instead. It looks like today's planned lunch will now become dinner.

That does sound like a small breakfast need, but it does sound quite tasty, so I am sure that you still enjoyed it!
  • jamymanyjamymany Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Making this absolutely yummy palak paneer today!

http://cookclickndevour.com/palak-paneer-recipe
    Today I am ashamed to say that I have had a piece of chocolate easter egg for my lunch, and that's it. I need to do some shopping, I don't have time to go out because I have too much work to do, so it's the best I can do under the circumstances!
  • jamymanyjamymany Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Making this totally delicious chole today for lunch!

http://cookclickndevour.com/punjabi-chole-recipe-how-to-make-chole-masala-recipe