Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Tips for quitting smoking

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,927 mod
I have a friend who is trying to quit smoking at the moment, and he has asked me for some tips. I know that this forum is great for getting advice, so I thought that I would come on here and ask you!

My personal best tip is to make sure that everybody knows what you are trying to do - because then they won't always be trying to offer you cigarettes and putting you under pressure to take one.

What about you? What would you say was the best tip for smoking cessation?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,555 mod
    The estate agent I'm dealing with at the moment is using an e-cigarette to wean himself off real cigarettes. He managed to give up for a few years before but went back to smoking again.

One friend who used to be quite a moderate smoker suddenly stopped after a doctor worried him that his health would be badly affected. He lives life, so decided smoking wasn't worth it.

I think if you are convinced enough that you don't want to continue, no one will be able to change your view or tempt you to go back to it.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,927 mod
    mheredge said:

The estate agent I'm dealing with at the moment is using an e-cigarette to wean himself off real cigarettes. He managed to give up for a few years before but went back to smoking again.

One friend who used to be quite a moderate smoker suddenly stopped after a doctor worried him that his health would be badly affected. He lives life, so decided smoking wasn't worth it.

I think if you are convinced enough that you don't want to continue, no one will be able to change your view or tempt you to go back to it.

I think eCigarettes are a great invention, as it can help people to reduce their nicotine slowly, so this is certainly something that I will be suggesting to my friend.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    There's a method for strong-willed people. Get many cigarettes, sit down and smoke continuously, one cigarette after another, until you start vomitting. The sickness will build a disgust for tobacco which will help to quit. I've never tried this, though.
    There are other health risks with e-cigarettes @GemmaRowlands but I think probably they are not as bad as smoking.
    mheredge said:

There are other health risks with e-cigarettes @GemmaRowlands but I think probably they are not as bad as smoking.

And I think that more health risks will come to light in the future, too, but at the moment nobody is really quite sure about all of the risks!
  • LeoManeLeoMane Posts: 5
    Also a good reason to quit smoking is you can save a lot of money!!! It's my case..you can easily convert in your mind the cost of a pack into something else (more satisfactory) you could buy!
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,131 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    @LeoMane yes it is but people who want to quit need to some money on rehabilitation if they are regular smokers.
    LeoMane said:

Also a good reason to quit smoking is you can save a lot of money!!! It's my case..you can easily convert in your mind the cost of a pack into something else (more satisfactory) you could buy!

Yes, you can certainly save an awful lot of money. It could be used for many other things that you would get more enjoyment from in the long term.
  • akrambougerakrambouger Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Sorry for not giving a usefull tip because I am not a smoker but I have a question in my mind: why it's hard to stop smoking? Is it similar to any important decision we can make in life?
    - "I will no more put a cigarette in my mouth! " and that's all?
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 743 ✭✭✭✭
    @akrambouger
    Because smoking is the most important thing for smokers' life. In fact, they feel as if smoking is life itself.
    They don't smoke during a break in activities. They do activities during a break in smoking.
    They eat because it makes smoking more pleasant. They work because otherwise they could not take smoke breaks.
    So if they quit smoking, they would not find out why they eat, work, or do any other things.
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 2,239 mod
    I used gum to help me when I gave up. I'm sure if I was doing it now I would use e-cigs

@Yellowtail - I'm not sure it's actually that bad! :D It's definitely being addicted to the nicotine. Other drugs can affect you in that way, becoming the reason for life.

@akrambouger - You have great will power!

Sorry for not giving a usefull tip because I am not a smoker but I have a question in my mind: why it's hard to stop smoking? Is it similar to any important decision we can make in life?

- "I will no more put a cigarette in my mouth! " and that's all?

It is because there is an addictive drug, nicotine, in cigarettes, and we crave it if we try to stop. So it can be very difficult indeed.
    The problem is e-cigarettes are reckoned to have other not so nice side affects @amatsuscribbler.
    mheredge said:

The problem is e-cigarettes are reckoned to have other not so nice side affects @amatsuscribbler.

This is true. But in a way I still think they're better than the side effects you would have had from regular cigarettes.
  • LeeInHaLeeInHa Posts: 26 ✭✭
    The very important is decision.
    After determined, quit smoking firmly without hesitation.
    Quiting step by step is lie. It is impossible.
    LeeInHa said:

The very important is decision.

After determined, quit smoking firmly without hesitation.

Quiting step by step is lie. It is impossible.

I think making a solid decision is something that benefits people greatly. Because once the thought is in your head properly, you are much more likely to succeed than if you were only vague in your thinking.
  • TinkaTinka Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭
    Have you ever thought about the relationship between the smoker and his cigarette? Imagine that the cigarette is a person, just like you and me.

Why somebody is so desperately craving for this "cigarette-person"? Which person in the life of the smoker could (or must) be there instead of the cigarette? Cigarettes are just substitutes for loving presence of caring others...
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 743 ✭✭✭✭
    @Tinka
    Psychologists might give some explanation. Like, a cigarette is a substitution of their mother's nipple, and they try to make up the lack of affection in their childhood, blah blah blah.
    It is interesting to observe the entire sequence of behaviour around the act of smoking a cigarette. Seconds before someone puts the cigarette into his/her mouth there is a pretty strong affective response of his/her body. We can sense some kind of restlessness and smokers usually can’t bear these feelings. It seems they have no strategies how to successfully confront this affective response and how to regulate it so they try to block it with an object – in this case with the cigarette.

If we’d like to solve the problem of smoking, we need to catch this affective pattern of restlessness, to allow to fully feel it and to successfully regulate it. Hence, it follows that we need to develop some useful strategies of emotional regulation.

Because we are learning the strategies of emotional regulation in the relationships, the problem of smoking (or any other dependency) is the problem of relationships. This is not a big theory, @Yellowtail , it is just a careful observation of the person dealing with the problem of smoking.
    Tinka said:

Have you ever thought about the relationship between the smoker and his cigarette? Imagine that the cigarette is a person, just like you and me.

Why somebody is so desperately craving for this "cigarette-person"? Which person in the life of the smoker could (or must) be there instead of the cigarette? Cigarettes are just substitutes for loving presence of caring others...

I'm not sure how much this has to do with it, because I think it's the actual nicotine that smokers are addicted to.
    I think it's more than just the buzz from the nicotine @GemmaRowlands. I think it's more to do with the whole process, like @Tinka describes. Having something to fiddle with and occupy the hands would probably be the thing that I would find hard to give up if I were a smoker.
    I think it's more than just the buzz from the nicotine @GemmaRowlands. I think it's more to do with the whole process, like @Tinka describes. Having something to fiddle with and occupy the hands would probably be the thing that I would find hard to give up if I were a smoker.
    The addiction with cigarettes is composed of the organic addiction (here we refer to nicotine) and of the behavioural addiction (here we refer to the act of putting something in the mouth). In the process of recovering from the addiction we need to take into account both parts, @GemmaRowlands and @mheredge.
    mheredge said:

Yes, that's possibly true. I have a friend who has tried colouring as a way to help, and she says that it does distract her a little bit at least.