Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What is the meaning of your name? / What does your name mean?

mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 22 in People and Feelings
Hello! friends! when i joined this forum i find so many different names in the forum and i did not able to recognize whats the actual meaning of those name.they are male name or female name.?
i got an idea that i should create one discussion on names.
and here i am,
i will share the meaning of my name and ask for yours.

"Mohit" is my name and "singh" is my surname
this name is only popular in india i think
"Mohit" is a hindi word.
the english meaning of my name is "fascinating" or some one who can attract .

i don't know how much i attract the people?.....LOL .but that is the meaning of my name!

i will love to know the meaning of yours names.
i just tag some people and ask them to share the meaning of their names.
@Bubbly @gam01hr @peaceculture2 @gerry @Anurada @abhishekb9099 @Luty @Khalied @dope @susant_singh @mdshamsad @renothing @nidhii @mishty @nain_khan1 @torellip @Makni @bymoh @filauzio @yscosta

you can also tag the people to this discussion whose name's meaning you want to know!

and mind it Mohit is a male name.... :D :D
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @mohit_singh @Bubbly my name is khalied this name so popular in Islamic people mean great leader called (khalied ibn waleed ) this leader no one can conquer this leader and through war broken seven sward and this word says Holy Quran khaledeen or khaldan mean to still in paradise or hell.I hope to see all people in paradise.
    this name mean long life.
    some advantage to this name (khalied )
    1-smart
    2-prefer laughing and funniest
    3-shy
    4- prefer children and babies and PREFER more
    5-can find any work easily
    6- nervous
    @Zom what about you ?
  • mdshamsadmdshamsad Posts: 87 ✭✭
    @mohit_singh

my name is Shamsad. This is Muslim baby boy name.It's name meaning is tree like Pine....
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭✭
    now i understand the meaning of khalied...A leader who can not be defeated.
    thanks @khalied for sharing this.
    but i have one question!
    on what basis you decided that this are the quality or advantages that a people with khalied name have?
    i think you just talk about your quality! is it? :D :D
    thank you @mdshamsad for sharing the meaning of your name.
    is shamsad means pine tree? i want to confirm it..
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mohit_singh I speak about my personality (shy -nervous-laughing and funniest -prefer to play with kids :D
  • mdshamsadmdshamsad Posts: 87 ✭✭
    @mohit_singh

yes Mohit my name meaning is tree like pine...
    @mheredge
    can you please explain what your name explain?
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @Khalied - Zom Gabu comes from creatures called Shadoks from another planet. In their language there are only 4 syllables GA, BU, ZO, MEU and it's enough for them to communicate with each other.
    Zom Gabu <--> GA BU ZO MEU, it's where my full name comes from. ;)
    Post edited by Zom on
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,046 mod
    edited August 2016
    @mohit_singh Mary was the mother of Jesus and Anne was the mother of Mary. Marianne is how the name is spelt in France but there are English derivations - Marion and Marian. The Americans are more likely to write it Mary-Anne. So my first name is indeed a Christian name!

On the other hand, the name Heredge is Anglo Saxon and I'm told means 'eagle's ledge.'
    i think your name gives some aesthetic meaning.@mheredge
    Is it true? @Zom . only four word for communication. GA, BU, ZO, MEU.its like bizarre!
    It's true @mohit_singh. Only Claude Pieplu who used to be the official Shadoks' translator could understand them and translate everything the Shadoks said to French.
    you said that shadoks is a the planet.so the people (claude pieplu) are alien for us.
    is it a mythological story? because i know that up to now alien exist only in movie.
    @Zom
    but i must say your name is so small and funky.i love it.
    edited August 2016
    @mohit_singh - The Shadoks came from the imagination of Jacques Rouxel. They were broadcast on TV as a short animation, 2-3 minutes, every day. It was fun, silly and very clever at the same time. Maybe you would say "funky". :D
  • filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My nickname comes from two greek words or prefix: the first one is ' philo ' which means ' who has tendency, is inclined towards, disposition for, love for, sympathy for '; the second one is ' autòs ' which means ' oneself '.
    I read this word ' filauzio ' somewhere in an Italian book, and decided it could mean one selfish, selfinterested person, one who doesn't care what other people think and isn't influenced by other's remarks.

Well, this isn't my nature at all; however my life so far has taught me that you have mostly to rely on yourself and take your decisions without caring what other people might think of them, then ' filauzio ' could exorcize yourself of your fears, allow you to recollect your strengths when you're growing short of them ; then I adopted this nickname because I was sure not to become filauzio2 or filauzio3, since it's such a strange name which I never since came across again.

My real name is ' Emanuele ', which means ' God with us '.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    One of my friend in India too have surname "Emanuele".I know it's meaning.this is very famous Christen name or sur name I think.
    @filauzio
    I understand stand it now you are creating a myth by yourself to explain your name @Zom . :D :D shadoks...LoL
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,040 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    My family members call me Bubbly. This is my nickname.

As far as my other name (official) is concerned, it is Hafsa (though in documents it is Hifsa). Hafsa is an Arabic name which means 'Lioness'.
    Post edited by Bubbly on

I understand stand it now you are creating a myth by yourself to explain your name @Zom . :D :D shadoks...LoL

I wish I had this imagination @mohit_singh.
    Les Shadoks,

@Bubbly a lioness. I wonder whether I wanted to know that. They are terrific, but also dangerous lionesses. ^-^
    @Zom Lioness is not dangerous but wise enough to know when to prey or what to prey! :)
    Which to me is the same as dangerous @Bubbly. Imagine she decides that I'm the prey to chase. brrrr!
    edited August 2016
    @Zom Yes but it is not her perspective. Things that may be dangerous for you are 'survival to the fittest' for lionesses. ;)
    //me turning into an elusive animal. ;)
  • nidhiinidhii Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭
    @mohit_singh My name is NIDHI which is a hindi word it mean 'TREASURE'
    @zom
    i like the animation in the video but still don't understand the meaning of shadok and its relation with your name ... :D :D
    thank you @nidhii for sharing this information. :D
    is it lioness!nooo! i have to maintain a distance while talking on skype....LOL....
    you can bite.... :D :D @Bubbly
  • nain_khan1nain_khan1 Posts: 161 ✭✭
    hi ,@mohit meaning of nain is eyes and khan is surname it is so easy to know
    yes i know this before... @nain_khan1 . but so many people from different country don't know hindi and urdu.That's why i make this discussion.
    thank you for sharing...!
    there are so many song in bollywood especially on "nain". do you know any? @nain_khan1
    and many song sung by pakistani singer,my favorite Rahat Fateh Ali khan. :D